Gaming Setting up HD

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I gotta HDTV and the RGB HD AV cable that came with my 360 Premium. My HDTV has no RGB ports so I'm forced to play in SD (Standard Def). Of course I can't use HDMI either because my Xbox doesn't have a HDMI port...

So, after Googling and such I've come across the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable. I was ready to buy it until I came across XCM360 5 Output Cable for XBOX 360.

What are your views? The XCM cable is actually a few quid cheaper than the official Xbox 360 VGA cable and it has a lot more options other than VGA. This might come in handy in case I get a new TV or something. What do you guys think? I'm in the midst of buying it.

If the XCM cable supports 420i, 420p ... up to 1080p in VGA then that's a bonus. The Microsoft one starts only at 720p and goes up to 1080p.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the official Microsoft VGA cable, and it's actually misleading to say that it supports 720p or 1080p.

Once you plug in the cable you are presented with a list of resolutions to choose from. The lowest is 640x480 and the highest...I think it's something close to 1080p.

So it's a lot like setting resolution on a regular PC.

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I've went and bought the XCM cable anyways
smile.gif

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got my 5in1 cable as mentioned above and running through VGA gives perfect picture but I gotta problem... no sound!
frown.gif

OK, I understand VGA does not carry sound, only picture, but I have the white and red sound inputs on the back of my TV so I connected the white and red cables from the 5in1 connector and I still get no sound.

I'm very confused because the official VGA cable says to connect the VGA cable and the white and red cables into the back of your TV and you're done. So why aint it working with this? It's not because they feed off separate leads is it?

I wish I just bought the official one.
dry.gif

woody0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well my HDTV has a VGA and those 6 cable sockets and HDMI, but the 6 cables arnt actually in 1080p either that or my tv is a bit faulty as i cant select 1080p so i use the 3 cables upstairs on my own tv, and i bought a VGA cable from ebay for 1p and that works perfectly, but the problem is i cant change my resolution for some reason so im stook at like 640X480 but i have noticd that the VGA for me does seem a little better.

woody0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeh thats he same as mine, oh and also check that the red and white cables are in the same section, as on like my tv each input is sectioned off by a small line and labelled off

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are you sure that audio input is for that channel?
The audio input for my VGA port on my TV is a 3.5mm stereo socket or phono.
I got told yesterday I need to buy a phono adapter so I can plug my white and red cables into my headphone port cuz apparently the white and red ports on the back of my TV are in a different "channel" to VGA.

But if that's the case how do I use my 2.1ch speakers if my headphone port is being used up by AV? My speakers are old and use the headphone port so unless I can buy a 3in1 phono adapter for my white, red and 3.5mm jack speakers to go into I'm gonna have to bear with my built-in TV speakers or buy a new set, which is something I was planning on doing anyways...

inde

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gcmods.org
XP
Country
its not the headphone port you need to plug it into, its a lead in port that should be just under the vga socket.
i needed the same thing when i used to use my 360 in vga mode.
the headphone socket should be completely seperate from the lead in port, looks the same tho 3.5mm jack

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
its not the headphone port you need to plug it into, its a lead in port that should be just under the vga socket.
i needed the same thing when i used to use my 360 in vga mode.
the headphone socket should be completely seperate from the lead in port, looks the same tho 3.5mm jack

Oh wow I hope your right! I have a PC-IN port on my TV and a 3.5mm jack fits in perfectly there so yay I can use my 2.1ch speakers still after all. You made my day!
biggrin.gif

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I have the official Microsoft VGA cable, and it's actually misleading to say that it supports 720p or 1080p.

Once you plug in the cable you are presented with a list of resolutions to choose from. The lowest is 640x480 and the highest...I think it's something close to 1080p.

So it's a lot like setting resolution on a regular PC.

Well it isn't misleading 720*1280 is 720P in 9:16 and so on. The reason VGA output is displayed in that manner is that VGA ,unlike television connection, transfers sync data (Vsync,Hsync) with the ammount of pixels needed if the screen doesn't get this info it can't resize the image properly to fit its naitve resolution and thus it can't display the pic. So insted of just writing off some known phrases M$ actually wrote the right term ( the resolution transfered to the screen).

SavageWaffle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The first one is, Official. So you dont have to worry athing. But the VGA one(sencound one) could suck, bad quailty. Google abit more. See if can get a cheaper price on the 1st link.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.