Skye07

OP
Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Hey guys I've finally convinced my dad to use the unused computer as a server PC.

So I'm going to reinstall Windows XP but what programs should I have on it? It'll just sit in the garage connected to the network and will serve as an FTP server and a game server.

Apps that I'm going to install:

- RealVNC
- MySQL
- No-IP Auto-Updater

It's a small list but I have no idea what FTP server program to use or anything a server pc should have.

So if you got any tips on what I should install for sure or configure a certain way, ... please post it here
smile.gif

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I used FileZilla FTP when my server was running Windows XP (and still use it on a few Windows boxes at work). It's free and has a nice GUI that's fairly easy to use.

Although now my box is running Kubuntu and performs a lot better.
If you're familiar with linux, I high recommend running linux instead of windows for server operation.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Problem is I don't know anything about Linux so I prefer to work with Windows and the game servers are Windows-only anyways.

Most game servers use Linux
lecture.gif

It's a lot more reliable..

And that really depends on the flux that your server will have.. MySQL should be fine if it's a small server.. if you need a bigger database with complex types of data, I would recommend PostgreSQL. Apache would be the best solution to build the server also.. don't know if it's available for Windows thought..

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd recommend that you rather install windows 2003 server or 2008 server (soon out). Many great server features are built in like DNS, DHCP, etc. And its not that hard to setup (2008 are too easy).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence -