crystalklear64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I recently updated my SCDS sdhc OS to the latest and forgot to save my speed settings, so I figured its time I did a little learning.

Now, the speed test included with the OS is trash, and never works, telling me my card is too slow to be supported.

Instead, using the libfat tool, I see that my average access time for sequential is .4 ms with a .8ms max (421 us, 813us), random average and max being both around 8.5ms.

The card is a japanese 2gb kingston formatted in fat16.

So with all this in mind, what speed settings can I expect to use, and why? ex. if someone says, you're good to use x5 with 25, how do you come to that conclusion? What can I use the access times for to determine what that means concerning the number I set in the global.ini?

Thanks.

gamadaya

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't really know what the access times have to do with it, but a way you can see what value to set the first value in the .ini to (I think the first is the 1-6 one) is by checking you're read/write time. It's simple actually. 6mb/s is a value of 6, 5mb/s is 5, and so on. Then you base the other value (1-32) on basically however high you can set it without everything crashing on you. And yeah, the speed test in the OS sucks. It gives my 32 speed card a recommended speed of 11.

And I don't know how to check read/write times. Sorry
tongue.gif
. I actually don't know a lot about these cards, but this is what little I do know. Did yours actually come formatted in fat16? I have a 4 gb kingston, and it was in fat32. With the Windows formatter, I I can format to fat32, exfat, and just fat. Is fat the same as fat16? I might want to switch to that if it is.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
gamadaya said:
I don't really know what the access times have to do with it, but a way you can see what value to set the first value in the .ini to (I think the first is the 1-6 one) is by checking you're read/write time. It's simple actually. 6mb/s is a value of 6, 5mb/s is 5, and so on. Then you base the other value (1-32) on basically however high you can set it without everything crashing on you. And yeah, the speed test in the OS sucks. It gives my 32 speed card a recommended speed of 11.

tongue.gif
. I actually don't know a lot about these cards, but this is what little I do know. Did yours actually come formatted in fat16? I have a 4 gb kingston, and it was in fat32. With the Windows formatter, I I can format to fat32, exfat, and just fat. Is fat the same as fat16? I might want to switch to that if it is.
FAT is for cards < 2GB; FAT32 is for cards > 2GB.

geokilla

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gamadaya said:

tongue.gif
I have no idea what you're saying.....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt