Set to WBFS without formatting

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Ritsuki, Sep 13, 2010.

Sep 13, 2010

Set to WBFS without formatting by Ritsuki at 8:30 PM (2,199 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Ritsuki
    OP

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    So, like I said here, I had some problem with my external hard drive (the partition table was deleted, but not the files) and unfortunately, my Wii games were in this drive. Since the files are still on the drive, I want to know is there is a way to change the file system of my Wii partition, without formatting

2. PeregrinFig

Member PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

United States
    I'm relatively certain you HAVE to format to change the filesystem, as the filesystem determines how the data is stored in the partition. If the files are still on the drive and you can find a way to move them, then just copy them from the drive onto your computer's HDD, format, and move them back onto the drive, but it sounds like you aren't able to do this and will just need to format and re-rip/download everything.

3. ConJ

Member ConJ The Toker

United Kingdom
    Yeah, to change a file system, youll need to format it.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Formatting is the act of writing the filesystem.

5. Ritsuki
    OP

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    I'll try to use a recovery tool on that partition. Last question, in WBFS filesystem, the Wii games are still stored as .iso files ?

6. Kryptical

Member Kryptical GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Yeah, it should be stored in .ISO files but I'm not sure. You can extract your games in .ISO files...

7. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    It's not in iso format, the game data is fractioned by HDD sectors size and scrubbed. (it's .wbfs format).

If your lost partition was already WBFS, maybe there's a way to restore it without loosing games.
    Though, it's totally untested by me, It's only a supposition, I guess Wiimm will have more precise answers [​IMG]

1) I read on another thread on the temp that Formating again in WBFS will only restore the header only, so your games will be back. (don't try it without a confirmation from someone who tested it)

2)
    If the table is deleted, you will have to check if it's only the MAGIC (the first byte which tell the partition format), or if the TOC is also corrupted (the one specifying where the games are stored).

- If it's only the magic, you could try to open your drive in a Hexeditor accepting HDD edition, and write "WBFS" back to the MAGIC of your games partition.
    If the magic is correct, then it's either :
    - the partition length/type (like primary, active, etc.) : this one I don't know how to restore it [​IMG]
    - The game TOC and sector positions : for this one, maybe there's a command in Wiimm's tools to check which sectors are used and set them back to their corresponding game. (though, I think we can't know which game they are :/ )

resume :
    first, use hexeditor to check the partition MAGIC.
    then, try wiimm's tools