Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I'm sure you know who Illua is, and you must have known her job is "Nightshade"

Since Ewen is a "Nightfall", which is cool, his boss should be "Night-something" too, as they're both assassins and that idea is cool

The problem is there's this little guy with tomato-head. That's right, meet our lovely Deadly Nightshade

And thus, I wonder why Illua's job is Nightshade, since the Deadly Nightshade is not deadly at all, how powerful can a regular Nightshade could be?

LoL, can't they use Nightblade or something? It sure makes one wonder
laugh.gif

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Night Shade is a ghost-type move that inflicts damage equal to the user's level.

A deadly nightshade is actually a plant -- a fruit-bearing plant, moreover, referred to as a belladonna. The leaves, roots, and berry are all toxic. They do not resemble tomatoes at all, assuming that you know that tomatoes are red, not black.

That's the general idea of a deadly nightshade, an incorrect title given to the Tomato monsters. I guess they were running out of ideas that made any sense.

Nightshade, however, are applied to a family of plants that have toxic parts. It would make sense for Illua's part attributing to her character, albeit that they're comparing a damned swordswoman to a toxic plant. Furthermore, none of her skills actually inflict a form of poison.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the future it would be nice if people stated what game they were speaking of in the title or otherwise.

schmoey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pyrofyr said:
In the future it would be nice if people stated what game they were speaking of in the title or otherwise.

Well, if Square-Enix in the title and the FFTA2 characters/monster names didn't ring a bell, then I don't know if having the title of the game would help you any
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Raestloz @ Jul 20 2008, 09:21 PM) And here I thought everyone actually knows what I'm talking about
frown.gif

Interesting observations.. never put much thought to it but I sort of see where you're coming from.. Nightblade sounds cool, but they already have Spellblade!.. Totally didn't know about the toxic plant thing, I was wondering for the longest time why they'd even name it a Deadly Nightshade (yes it made me think of Pokemon too lol)

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
schmoey said:
Pyrofyr said:

Well, if Square-Enix in the title and the FFTA2 characters/monster names didn't ring a bell, then I don't know if having the title of the game would help you any
rolleyes.gif
Well if it's SE not Square Enix, and FFTA2 isn't there only game if I even ARRIVED at that conclusion, what the hell would make you think that's 'obvious'?

Delfin

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
delfin.zapto.org
XP
Country
They were called Deadly Nightshades in FF12 aswell so they were just following their naming, perhaps you should try find out what their japanese counterpart is named?
Maybe it turns out they are the same?

As for Illua and toxin, she does use poisons for assassinations supposedly, confirmed by Cid, but other than that she probably just relies on broken time and dimension moves >.>

schmoey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pyrofyr said:
schmoey said:
Pyrofyr said:

rolleyes.gif
Well if it's SE not Square Enix, and FFTA2 isn't there only game if I even ARRIVED at that conclusion, what the hell would make you think that's 'obvious'?

Nowhere did I mention that it was "obvious" -- but people who are familiar with FFTA2 would at least be able to recognize Ewen and Illua, and the mention of jobs is a little clue too. However, in no way did I mean to undermine your intelligence and I'm sorry if my message came across as that. I just found it strange how you were making a seemingly critical comment about mentioning the game title when it's not really needed, and if someone had to ask what the game was, they wouldn't understand the thread anyway.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eyerolling is synonymous with sarcastic obviousness.

You're right you didn't, it's just that that's what eye rolling generally means, although you might not have meant it in that way.

For the most part, it was just confusing since I haven't played FFTA2 :/

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Delfin said:
They were called Deadly Nightshades in FF12 aswell so they were just following their naming, perhaps you should try find out what their japanese counterpart is named?
Maybe it turns out they are the same?

As for Illua and toxin, she does use poisons for assassinations supposedly, confirmed by Cid, but other than that she probably just relies on broken time and dimension moves >.>
Oh, wow, I can't believe I missed that. I forgot that little conversation.

Her Dimension skills are incredibly harsh. It's worse than Graviga. I'm just glad it's not like a Withering Strike or Viola sort of skill, because then I'd really be dead.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tomatoes are both fruits and vegetables.

It's important to learn such things in a world where having a small garden in your backyard can lower your vegetable-wasting-money by around 50%.

The fruit has more to do with the actual way the fruit is, whereas the vegetable has to do with how it grows. A lot of people make the common misconception that something can't be both, but it's a falsity.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
Tomatoes are both fruits and vegetables.

It's important to learn such things in a world where having a small garden in your backyard can lower your vegetable-wasting-money by around 50%.

The fruit has more to do with the actual way the fruit is, whereas the vegetable has to do with how it grows. A lot of people make the common misconception that something can't be both, but it's a falsity.
Schrodinger's Tomatoes, huh? =P

schmoey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pyrofyr said:
Eyerolling is synonymous with sarcastic obviousness.

You're right you didn't, it's just that that's what eye rolling generally means, although you might not have meant it in that way.

For the most part, it was just confusing since I haven't played FFTA2 :/
Oh, yeah, total apologies man, didn't mean to come off like that at all.. my bad!

Doomsday Forte said:
Schrodinger's Tomatoes, huh? =P
That actually made me LOL.

Hmm, according to FF wiki's bestiary:

"Being a mandragora with a head like a red tomato. Hailing from the eastern highlands, changing climates brought them down to the lowlands. Many are the treatise written by natural philosophers attempting to trace the roots of the strange black and white markings covering their bodies, reminiscent of the clothes worn by prisoners."
So I guess its body is moreso what makes it a nightshade.. not it's blatant red tomato head
blink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: