Service for the Ouya will be ending next month

download.jpg

The end is near for the Ouya. No, you haven't time-traveled back to 2013; official support for the failed little Android gaming box will be coming to a halt next month, after six years. On June 25th, parent company Razer will be shutting down services for the Ouya, meaning you will no longer be able to purchase games, use any remaining funds, or be able to play games that require online validation checks. If you do happen to have an Ouya, and games for it, you'll still be able to download any titles that you've previously bought. Additionally, Razer will also be shutting down their ForgeTV and MadCatz MOJO services on the same date.

Though the Ouya was considered dead on arrival by many, this marks the official end of the system's life.

:arrow: Source

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only played the Ouya ONCE at the Midwest Gaming Classic. Outside of running Android, what even was the idea? Did it even have a successful exclusive to its name!?

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess my last chance to update anything.
Hopefully the games get captured and can be side loaded later or something.
I won a contest and had a custom case for mine but it still mostly just sits in a box put away safely.
Nice that it had life support this long at least.
Ouya still made an impact even if it didn't do all that great.

I find it weird though there are Ouya like 3rd party controllers for the switch now, those weren't the best controllers but I guess those will live on for awhile.

Well time to get my Ouya back up and running for one last hurrah.

Ouya Lets Game Case BDG contest 1w2 2.JPG

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I thought it had died already.

I remember there were some people around here at the time who seriously supported it saying it was the best thing ever.

Reactions: banjo2

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Ouya was a solid successor to a modded original Xbox, offering a similar set of emulators, a much needed HD upgrade to XBMC/Kodi, as well as streaming apps like Netflix all with a simple controller interface. Unlike more modern Android TV offerings, it also ran full Android, so you could sideload the full Amazon app store and any other real Android apps. Sure you could have built a Raspberry Pie to do similar things, but the Ouya was cheaper, a bit more powerful, and worked out of the box without any major modifications.

It was an awesome little system for it's time. The one thing missing was a reason to actually buy Ouya games for it, which is ultimately why it failed. I used my Ouya on a daily basis for about 4 years until I upgraded to a Shield TV, and I only ended up buying like two $5 games.

Note that you can easily install LineageOS on it, so it can continue as a standalone Android device in the future, but losing the controller based launcher makes that less useful.

Last edited by Kraken_X,
Reactions: VatoLoco

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
It was a fun little console for its time. I remember getting it for my birthday soon after release. Had a lot of fun playing san andreas and installing googleplay and stuff :) fun to tinker with but i remember it was underppwered even at release.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh. What a surprise.

Who would have saw it coming with the fate of Onlive...
the PSTV...
nVidia Shield..
The gaming aspects to the Apple TV 4th Gen and Amazon Fire TV..
Or even the SouljaGame Fuze.

Microconsoles are such a great concept, one I have never seen executed well at all.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The end is near for the Ouya. No, you haven't time-traveled back to 2013; official support for the failed little Android gaming box will be coming to a halt next month, after six years. On June 25th, parent company Razer will be shutting down services for the Ouya, meaning you will no longer be able to purchase games, use any remaining funds, or be able to play games that require online validation checks. If you do happen to have an Ouya, and games for it, you'll still be able to download any titles that you've previously bought. Additionally, Razer will also be shutting down their ForgeTV and MadCatz MOJO services on the same date.

Though the Ouya was considered dead on arrival by many, this marks the official end of the system's life.

:arrow: Source
Someone probably already mentioned this but if you do own one there's probably something you can flash it with, or enable the play store.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I believe the actual plan was to allow users to trade in their motherboard against the subsequent iterations of OUYA's. All of them were supposed to fit in the same shell to allow for seamless upgrades, kind of like PC motherboards have a uniform form factor. It made sense on paper at the time, but they just didn't have the software or the brand recognition to push units.
Ah so this is why in teardowns I've seen, it's literally just a board in a case with a fan attached.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You made a mistake!

Your account will be deactivated on June 25, 2019. After this date, you will no longer be able to access your account, games on the server, previously purchased titles, or be able to purchase new ones!

SO NO DOWNLOADS OR WHATEVER after 25 June.

Reactions: Ericthegreat

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ah so this is why in teardowns I've seen, it's literally just a board in a case with a fan attached.
That's correct. Upgrades were supposed to be a matter of popping the top open, sliding the old board out and putting the new board in. In theory. Naturally, Ouya 2.0 never materialised.

Reactions: Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's correct. Upgrades were supposed to be a matter of popping the top open, sliding the old board out and putting the new board in. In theory. Naturally, Ouya 2.0 never materialised.
That's sounds like a great idea, makes me sad Google canceled the whole phone blocks thing, more devices should be upgradeable.

luisedgarf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Huh. What a surprise.

Microconsoles are such a great concept, one I have never seen executed well at all.

I think the Ouya suffered the same fate as all western non-Microsoft console to this date: Unless you're either Microsoft or a Japanese megacorp, your chances to succeed creating a new console a next to absolute zero.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol I remember the trailers and build up with that older woman telling us what it was going to be, was dead in the water from the start

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the Ouya suffered the same fate as all western non-Microsoft console to this date: Unless you're either Microsoft or a Japanese megacorp, your chances to succeed creating a new console a next to absolute zero.

Oooh, yeah. And that REALLY sucks, because we really should have at least ONE more contender in the console market.

But we can't blame it all on the atmosphere and enviroment, I can't really come to any consoles made in the last 19 years that weren't by Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft that were worth sticking around. To get a foothold in the market, you do have to have a reason to exist.. and I can't really see one for the few smaller consoles recently.

I could be forgetting/unaware of one that did deserve a bigger spot in the limelight, though, if you have an example, I'd like to hear it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    My sister had a N3DS XL and it suffered the same fate.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl the L button barely worked at all in the dsi i previously had
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    my dad bought me a dsi identical to that one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could be an easy fix without even opening it with some ipa maybe unless the entire button broke
    That´s why I never got any handheld before the Switch.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, thats why patches exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds games are best played on a DS emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or N3ds/2Ds
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, or most "gimmicky" consoles
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah the dual screen makes them better because that's how they were developed for
    +1
    Wii U is also great.
    For DS games.
    Also, 3DS games through NTR streaming on Wii U.
    It's very cool.
    Even playable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Oh and touch screen infinity better lol