Seriously eBay? WTF?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it me or does eBay seem to be having an influx of very crooked sellers lately? Just want to see what shopping experiences others have been having lately.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It has been a cess pit for years, so much so that I don't personally use it and tend to discourage its use among clients. Much to my annoyance though it is still a source which mostly works for a lot of things so I occasionally have to suffer others using it.

Have you changed your buying habits (sudden hankering for designer clothes, laptop batteries and flash memory or something?) as that can inform perception a bit. Likewise some of the other services which rival ebay have been gaining quite a bit of traction lately so there might not have been a migration of the bad sellers just yet.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still use it, and have no issues, for the few times that I have had issues, Paypal tends to be bias towards the buyer, which makes me happy. :D

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Accidently double posted.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I had some shitty ebay experiences ranging from buying items and then the seller immediately refunding me because, "it's too low an amount now that I think about it".

Or as a seller, people trying to persuade me to ship abroad and when I refuse, get called all sorts of names.

But the one happened this week where a buyer for a 3ds console gave me a wrong address and then goes ahead and opens a case. After a few messages he says, "so I didn't put in the second line of address since I didn't think it was important. Surely mail service can use Google Map and find my address". Surprise surprise it ended up returning to sender and this was the rare cases where ebay sided with the seller.

Reactions: cearp

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is there somewhere in Europe where I could sell A9LH old 3dses? Like an European Craiglist or something?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I go for stuff with pictures, so I have an idea what they look like. For example, I bought a Wii from ebay, I guess it was a steal since it only cost me $60, and over 2 years later, I still have it, and it still works. No noticeable scratches, if any at all, just in great condition. So when it comes to ebay, I feel better looking at offers with pictures. More of those than on Amazon, but I prefer buying new from Amazon, so that's expected.

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I have a small business running where I import items from the US and sell them locally (often for WAY less than local prices).
I buy from Amazon and eBay so much and I rarely have any problems.

Always keep in mind to check the sellers rating, their testosterone seller badge and sold items before buying.
One could sell all sorts of things for very little amount of money just for the positive reviews, and then screw the hell out of you in an actually expensive item.
If item is used, make sure you check pictures of the actual item being sold and not promotional pictures of the product (try to communicate with seller for more pictures for the fine details).
Make sure you read the description carefully as many untrusted sellers would hide a scam very well into them.

I've had my troubles with eBay on many occasions, but at least you'd get your refund...... eventually..
Try to stick with Amazon, they would satisfy you however you want.
I bought things on a number of occasions that my forwarding service refused to ship for no reason and Amazon refunded my money without even having to return said items.
I'm very satisfied with their quality of service that I bought 7 years of Prime Membership in advance.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Just had a idiotic seller tonight cancel my item after waiting and bidding on it this week. Said the item didn't work when the listing showed it "working" and then was pissing around not giving the refund when I asked for it.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive used it and only had one bad experience when buying. They shipped the wrong item! They shipped the right item after contacting and even let us keep the wrong item.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never really had any issues, just had to buy from highly rated sellers. I pretty much don't buy from anyone under 99% feedback. Only time I had an issue was when I bought a phone and it had a faulty charging port, and they gave me a partial refund to pay for repairs. Even then, I had already bought the phone for way below the typical used price, let alone retail, so all is good.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Might as well go again.
Amazon and ebay (and all the others) are generally the lowest point in all this sort of thing. You get scum of the earth and scum of the earth as sellers as the barrier to entry is basically nonexistent. I much prefer to deal with someone that spent 20 minutes + time to load the stock on a basic CMS. My track record with that is maybe 10% more at times, often less actually, and generally a nice old time.
I pretty much don't buy from anyone under 99% feedback.

I wonder if that is why when I give average ratings (full stars/whatever divided by 2) for average service (granted spectacular service would require something spectacular to happen, which it mostly does not, http://xkcd.com/937/ ) that some sellers then seem to get very upset.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might as well go again.
Amazon and ebay (and all the others) are generally the lowest point in all this sort of thing. You get scum of the earth and scum of the earth as sellers as the barrier to entry is basically nonexistent. I much prefer to deal with someone that spent 20 minutes + time to load the stock on a basic CMS. My track record with that is maybe 10% more at times, often less actually, and generally a nice old time.

I wonder if that is why when I give average ratings (full stars/whatever divided by 2) for average service (granted spectacular service would require something spectacular to happen, which it mostly does not, http://xkcd.com/937/ ) that some sellers then seem to get very upset.
They really do. That's why if you intimidate them even a tiny bit, they're very willing to comply. The same goes for Amazon sellers to an extent, it's actually pretty important.

D

Deleted User

I generally choose sellers with a reputation.
I have had one bad experience with a seller as of recently but I kinda knew beforehand that it was a little suspect.
Overall I can't complain about eBay Australia.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eBay today, basically gave me the finger. Purchased a lawn mower and it never arrived. The tracking number that was provided, claims that it was delivered but the weight is all wrong. Even UPS is investigating but all eBay wants to do is tell me, no refund, give me an international number that supposedly belongs to the seller and point me towards opening a police report. It's bullshit! I'm completely done with them. Used to juggle between eBay and Amazon, especially since eBay tends to be cheaper but now, screw them! The bastards even censored my negative review of the seller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs