Serious problem

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by imz, Jan 27, 2008.

Jan 27, 2008

Serious problem by imz at 3:35 PM (2,172 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. imz
    OP

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    A few days ago, I downloaded Advance Wars dark conflict to see how it was, when I tried to run the game, at the title screen where it normally says 'Nintendo' it said 'Unable to write data. Switch off the DS and reinsert the Game Card' at first I thought it must be something wrong with the ROM file, but I tried it on No$gba and it worked perfectly, I later discovered that this was not only happening to this game, but to every game on my flash cart! Which was very strange seeing as it had worked perfectly the same morning.

So I updated my firmware to 2.9...same problem

I thought it might be the save battery on the flash cart which had got weak, so I charged my DS with the flash cart in it...same problem

It might have been the contacts on the card which had got dirty, so I cleaned them..same problem

Then I did what was to me, a last resort, I formatted my flash cart...same problem

So I thought since it got ruined after I put advance wars on it, maybe it was the ROM file which had corrupted it, so I removed that...same problem!

Now I am all out of options and unable to run any games on my G6 [​IMG] Does anyone know what the problem is, and does anyone know how to fix it, or am I left with a broken flash cart?

2. g6team

Member g6team GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
    Did you format the G6 Real via your PC? Or through the NDS itself?

3. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    how can you do it through a computer?

4. g6team

Member g6team GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
    Since the G6 Real is recognized as a removable storage you can format it through the PC.

[​IMG]

5. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    formatting through the DS seems to be best for me.

it gives the G6 more space, and it hasn't corrupted yet.

6. StacMaster-S

Member StacMaster-S GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Oh really? How much more space do you find you get from a PC format?

7. imz
    OP

United Kingdom
    Through the PC, how do you format it through the NDS?

8. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Press the start button when booting your DS to format the G6 Real thru the DS. When to actual push the start button, i don't know exactly, I just keep on pushing the start button to bring up the format option.

9. imz
    OP

United Kingdom
    I reformatted it through the DS too, it still doesn't work

10. imz
    OP

United Kingdom
    Has anyone had this problem before?

11. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    took it from around 970 (can't remember exact) to 999 megabytes [​IMG] the largest usable space ive ever seen on a card.

12. imz
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok so I downloaded touch the dead, didn't patch it or anything, tried it, it worked! So I downloaded mario kart again (game that was previously on my flash cart) and I'm getting this error! I'm guessing this is only happening to games that were previously on my flash cart, which is a real shame seeing as they were all my favourites [​IMG] and also I found that all the cheats from the cheat.db in the system were in japanese? But I'm guessing that's something to do with the firmware

13. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

I know this sounds stupid but have you got soft-reset, cheats, slow-motion turned off because they may be stopping it from working?

Also, have you trimmed it or got a good dump?

14. imz
    OP

United Kingdom
    some more info, I was playing lego star wars: the complete saga, it was playing fine until i tried to save it, I got an error message saying 'The data could not be written. Turn off the power and reinsert the DS card.' And also when I try to boot worms: open warfare 2 I get a message that says 'Cannot access save data. Turn off the power and reinsert the DS card.' I now know that it is definitely to do with the save battery, anyone have any experience with this? Because most games don't even boot if they can't access the save data.

Yes They are all turned off, no I haven't trimmed any of the roms, and I don't think it's anything to do with the roms because they were working fine until this occured, so it can't be that either.

15. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

I now recall that it happened to me but once I turned it off and on again a few times and did a little jiggerypokery (although it may have been a different matter), it worked so I'm afraid I can't help you.

It's probably faulty, I guess.

16. imz
    OP

United Kingdom
    I am really starting to get pissed off now, I haven't been able to fix this problem for days, and it's even worse now because not only have I just spent £37.99 on something that worked for a few weeks but my EZ flash 3 in 1 expansion just arrived today and I can't even save gba games. If someone asked me what my impressions about the G6 real are what am I supposed to say 'It's good.. but enjoy it while it lasts! Because that won't be long!' This isn't the first time I've had a problem with the real, it's been corrupted twice before, the amount these things cost they should be built to last.

17. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

I've had mine for some time yet, it has never had a problem, apart from when I kept pulling it out and putting it in the USB slot because I didnt have my card inserted into the reader properly, then I accidentally corrupted it after pushing the card in after I plugged the USB reader in.

But that was my fault, so I'm sort of happy.

18. imz
    OP

United Kingdom
    I tried the arm7 patch on worms 2 but to no avail, I didn't have many expectations for it either seeing as it's most likely a sytem problem, do G6 real's come with guarantee, or can I send it off to the company for a repair or replacement?

19. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Not that I know of, I'm afraid.

I don't know if the shop you bought it from will do a replacement for it, but that's your best bet.