Hacking Serious problem with .nds files

Dhaos_Niko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok. I bought a R4i SDHC, but both with this and my old DSTT (i somehow managed to resurrect it), i have a serious problem.

I put the games in the "Roms" Folder, named [gamename].nds. But the Flashcard doesn't see them. Neither the R4i SDHC with R4i English 1.13b (relased this december) or with the last 1.17a2 of the DSTT. On the DSTT i also tried with the older 1.17, but nothing.

Any help?

Mana94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange. I have never encountered this so I have no idea
frown.gif

Mana94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basher11 said:
lmao uber fail! wouldn't you have noticed before that the file wasn't in .nds format? XD
Who? me? if you did mean me... then do notice I am not the creator of this topic so it isn't my problem
tongue.gif
I was just noticing how that could be a likely reason for roms not to be seen. I hadn't though about that as a possibility.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basher11 said:
lmao uber fail! wouldn't you have noticed before that the file wasn't in .nds format? XD
I don't see how that could be an uber fail. It was a legitimate question. As most Windows OS's come with known file extensions hidden he might not have noticed the file extensions, and furthermore I know not is level of computer literacy so me may have renamed them from .zip, .rar, or .7z to .nds without knowing to extract them. I was mentioning the obvious as the solution may be hidden there, as many puzzles that stump you so you check a walk-through only to be dumbfounded by the simplest of solutions.

EDIT: Not to mention out of ten replies (including this one) it was one of two to offer a solution.

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
hundshamer said:
basher11 said:
I don't see how that could be an uber fail. It was a legitimate question. As most Windows OS's come with known file extensions hidden he might not have noticed the file extensions, and furthermore I know not is level of computer literacy so me may have renamed them from .zip, .rar, or .7z to .nds without knowing to extract them. I was mentioning the obvious as the solution may be hidden there, as many puzzles that stump you so you check a walk-through only to be dumbfounded by the simplest of solutions.

EDIT: Not to mention out of ten replies (including this one) it was one of two to offer a solution.
However, that wouldn't stop them from appearing.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eon-Rider said:
hundshamer said:
basher11 said:

I believe you misunderstood me.

I heard Vista or Windows 7 include compression support (I haven't used either OS) and some forms of XP come bundled with WinRar, WinZip, or other similar program, that associate with these types of files therefore making them known file extensions. The computer would hide the extension, and the file would appear as "." He/she might have renamed it ".nds," not knowing to double click the file to open and extract it.

Or if the "hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked, the file would appear as ".zip," and they still renamed it ".nds" not knowing what a .zip file was.

I figure to properly solve a problem all avenues should be explored until a solution is found.

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
hundshamer said:
Eon-Rider said:
hundshamer said:
basher11 said:

I believe you misunderstood me.

I heard Vista or Windows 7 include compression support (I haven't used either OS) and some forms of XP come bundled with WinRar, WinZip, or other similar program, that associate with these types of files therefore making them known file extensions. The computer would hide the extension, and the file would appear as "." He/she might have renamed it ".nds," not knowing to double click the file to open and extract it.

Or if the "hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked, the file would appear as ".zip," and they still renamed it ".nds" not knowing what a .zip file was.

I figure to properly solve a problem all avenues should be explored until a solution is found.
No, I believe you misunderstood me.
wink.gif

If you look all the way back to his original post you'll see the NDS files do not even appear on his flashcarts. Any file that has the NDS extension should show up whether it's a commercial game, homebrew or even a compressed file renamed with the extension .nds. That is what I was referring to.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eon-Rider said:
wink.gif

If you look all the way back to his original post you'll see the NDS files do not even appear on his flashcarts. Any file that has the NDS extension should show up whether it's a commercial game, homebrew or even a compressed file renamed with the extension .nds. That is what I was referring to.
Wrong.

Default R4 firmware, it's direct clones and YSMenu (I don't know about DSTT) all have a filter.
They show Games -> Saves (and backup) -> All Files.
Unless the filter was set to show 'All Files', an archive wouldn't show.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eon-Rider said:
wink.gif

OK I see your point but twiztidsinz is right.

QUOTE(twiztidsinz @ Dec 27 2009, 05:40 PM) Wrong.

Default R4 firmware, it's direct clones and YSMenu (I don't know about DSTT) all have a filter.
I also believe that it is set to "games" by default on most cards.

However, I may be wrong. I'll admit that. It's all speculation until the OP posts again. I was just saying if the circumstances are right, it might be a possibility. If you have a better "solution," please post it. All this arguing over one suggestion, be it right or wrong, isn't helping him/her get their card working.

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
Eon-Rider said:
wink.gif

If you look all the way back to his original post you'll see the NDS files do not even appear on his flashcarts. Any file that has the NDS extension should show up whether it's a commercial game, homebrew or even a compressed file renamed with the extension .nds. That is what I was referring to.Wrong.

The firmware does not check the actual contents of an NDS file. I have just confirmed it with a friend who owns an original R4. The NDS file should appear regardless.

hundshamer said:
Eon-Rider said:
wink.gif

OK I see your point but twiztidsinz is right.

QUOTE(twiztidsinz @ Dec 27 2009, 05:40 PM)
Wrong.

I also believe that it is set to "games" by default on most cards.

However, I may be wrong. I'll admit that. It's all speculation until the OP posts again. I was just saying if the circumstances are right, it might be a possibility. If you have a better "solution," please post it. All this arguing over one suggestion, be it right or wrong, isn't helping him/her get their card working.
Well, the only thing I can think of is that he has the ROM files set to hidden but with his OS able to see them. But that's pretty unlikely.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the file extension was hidden and he renamed it ".nds" the file is really named ".nds.zip." I tested this on my R4 with three firmwares (my clones "official," DSTT 1.17a12, and YSMenu + DSTT 1.17a12). Only the "official" firmware showed the file of all three.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eon-Rider said:
The firmware does not check the actual contents of an NDS file. I have just confirmed it with a friend who owns an original R4. The NDS file should appear regardless.BULL. SHIT.[*].ZIP =/= .NDS
  • What the filters do is FILTER anything that is not a NDS or other predefined game file.
  • For example, you can set YSMenu to load .GBA games via a GBA loader.
[*]Firmware CANNOT decompress a .ZIP file.
  • .ZIP is a compressed format, you would need to decompress and then load the file.
  • The NDS isn't powerful enough for the firmware to do so internally, so it would need
  • to be doneexternally by a plugin which would require extra space.
[*]The utility does not exist.
  • To my knowledge no firmware, and certainly NOT the R4 or DSTT has any support for compressed files.
  • While there -IS- a decompression tool for the NDS it's a stand alone app and I believe it is rather slow.
While I -KNOW- it is not possible to do so, I decided to check just to humor you.
I put a NDS game in ZIP format using normal compression on my MicroSD card.[*]Official R4 Firmware v1.18:
  • Did not see the file under 'Games' -- It is NOT a game (.NDS), it's an archive (.ZIP).
  • Shows up under 'Files' -- as "Unknown".
[*]Unofficial R4li Firmware v1.24:
  • Did not see the file under 'Games' -- It is NOT a game (.NDS), it's an archive (.ZIP).
  • Shows up under 'Files' -- as "Unknown".
[*]YSMenu w/ DSTT v1.17a12:
  • Shows up under 'All Files' -- as "Unknown".
Keep digging that hole.

QUOTE(Eon-Rider @ Dec 27 2009, 07:18 PM) No, I'm not talking about the hidden file extensions. I'm talking about this:
http://i48.tinypic.com/soa9h1.png
That's hidden FILES and FOLDERS. It has NOTHING to do with extensions.
And because it has NOTHING to do with extensions, it would have NOTHING to do with NDS FILES or ZIP FILES because they are FILE EXTENSIONS.

See the checkbox BELOW your circle?
THAT is for extensions (.ZIP, .NDS, .BAT, .EXE, etc)
THAT is CHECKED by default in XP, Vista, and 7. Possibly also default in Windows Server editions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM