SERIOUS HELP REQUIRED

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Gnargle, May 24, 2010.

1. Gnargle
    OP

Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

Jul 29, 2008
    England
    Hi,
    So I've been trying to get Guitar Hero 5 working. It doesn't and I've given up on it. The problem is, I had to install cIOS 222 and 223, as well as IOS 56. After this, I tried loading a normal game (Wii Sports) through NeoGamma. It came up with 'Init Drive' as normal, then made this terrible crunching sound. I had a heart attack. It then refused to load the disc, so I hard reset my Wii and went to the Disc Channel. Wii Sports works. However, NeoGamma now no longer works and my Wii requests that I update when I insert NSMB. I was on 4.2 before. I have since removed cIOS 222 and 223, but apparently IOS 56 is used by Wii Speak, so I haven't removed that.

Part of the guide I followed to get GH5 to work was to use Starpatch and remove disc updates. I followed this, but the install of it said there was nothing to install from the dol so it didn't. Now, should I install the update or do something else?

PAL Wii, by the way. I was using the correct version of Starpatch. I also installed Softchip, but this works with NSMB Wii.
    My copy of NSMB Wii is a retail copy, not a burned copy.

2. Gnargle
    OP

Jul 29, 2008
    England
    EDIT: Baleeted cause double posts are nasty and are only for use in EXTREME situations.

3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    You're going all over the place, man. I don't know who advised you to install IOS56 for guitar hero 5, but he is wrong. Guitar hero 5 (along with the other music games) uses IOS 37...but you don't have to install it either. What you need for it is a cIOS based on IOS37, or merged with it (that's the cIOS222,223).

I have no idea what caused that crunching sound, but I seriously doubt it's because of Hermes's cIOS* or from IOS56 (which version of 56 did you install, by the way?).

IIRC, startpatch also has a way to stop disc updates. It's kinda strange that NSMB still asks for one. Can't give more information about that, though (I use priiloader myself...has the same functionality).

From what I remember, NSMBW comes with firmware 4.1, so it will only update some possible outdated firmware**. That means the update won't hurt, but it's safer to just use a program like dop-mii to check your IOS and cIOS settings and update things manually.

*though I have to admit most ppl here use it for USB loading purposes
    **important: do NOT do the update if your NSMB version is of a different region than your wii.

4. Gnargle
    OP

Jul 29, 2008
    England
    NSMB is PAL, same region as my Wii. I'm just worried because the update says it could leave my Wii 'temporarily unusable.'
    I have Priiloader installed too, plus that one that you can install as either boot2 or IOS is installed as boot2.
    How can I uninstall the version of 56 I have? It has the filename: cIOS56-64-v5146-rev14.wad
    Also, any idea why Neogamma no longer works? It looks for a menu file, doesn't find one (as normal) but then starts 'Init drive' again, then searches for a patch indefinitely.

EDIT: Thanks for your help, though [​IMG]

EDIT 2: Installed the update. Wii still works (phew!) but NeoGamma still does not. I guess I'll have to use softchip.
    EDIT 3: Since this has basically been fixed, is there a way of getting Guitar Hero 5 to work in Softchip (since NeoGamma no longer works). I used 4 GB of bandwidth, I'd really like to be able to use it. [​IMG] NOTE: Using a USB loader is pretty much ruled out since I don't have any USB sticks big enough and my external hard drive has no room on it (lots of family photos and stuff).