Suggestion 'Serious' discussion forum

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by RoseyDreamy, Jun 3, 2017.

1. RoseyDreamy
    OP

RoseyDreamy TheKawaiiNeko

Mar 25, 2017
    England
    Hi,

I was wondering if an subforum could be made for more 'serious' subjects like personal issues (although these kinda belong in blogs), politics, religion, world news, etc.

Though it's not entirely necessary, it would be a more heavily moderated forum specifically for those topics, and as a way for users to get help and discuss with pretty much no shitposting. ^^

What do the community think?

Quantumcat and Ricken like this.

2. kikongokiller

kikongokiller Custom Title

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Western Australia
    A little shitposting never hurts but I can see why some people don't like it.

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I feel like "Off Topic," should be the place for that, but it's never treated that way.

4. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Well, I like the idea, but I think making a place specifically for "serious" discussions might just invite trolls, and it could turn into something even messier than the EoF because it'd just be that much easier to provoke people and ruin discussions.

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i made serious threads in EOF, and if you really sound serious, there is a couple of guys who will shitpost, but then we got some members who notice it and give you a serious answer..

you can use off topic, just make a note asking for serious answer and then have the trouble of reporting the shitters

6. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    There are other sites to talk about serious things.

7. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    It's not a bad idea actually. A simple suggestion would be to add a new global thread prefix of "serious" to indicate the requirement then it doesn't matter what the discussion subject is and could be made in any forum. Shitposts could then be reported/removed easily when/if they are made. This might warrant staff discussion.

8. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Some people overdo it, severely overdo it.

And yeh, GOTC is made for that.

9. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    i vote for the serious prefix, it's a really cool idea

10. kikongokiller

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Western Australia
    It's pretty annoying when some people cross the line between shitposting and just being an ass.

11. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    We dont need a section for this, Dear Deidre for emo kids... this is a tech site.

12. RoseyDreamy
    OP

RoseyDreamy TheKawaiiNeko

Mar 25, 2017
    England
    That is actually a better idea - to have a prefix for more serious discussion. ^^
    I think I'd be pretty happy with this.

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    There's a difference between a funny remark and shitposting.
    To bad people always tend to do the latter.

But yeh, I vouch for the prefix.

kikongokiller and RoseyDreamy like this.
  14. BlastedGuy9905
    This message by BlastedGuy9905 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jun 3, 2017, Reason: Shitposting.
    Jun 3, 2017
  15. kikongokiller

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Western Australia
    I think the prefix is a good idea.

16. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    It's a great idea, but I honestly don't think gbatemp is capable of holding a serious discussion. Almost any thread that revolves around religion, sexuality, or politics has to be closed I'm the end because eventually the discussion devolves into personal attacks and off topic shit posting.

17. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    I feel like we should be able to have serious topics. The ones who derail these topics should be blocked from at least the serious board.

Quantumcat likes this.
  18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    IDK, I've actually made a few blogs recently showing that members can hold serious conversations. I don't know how long they will last before someone ruins it, but they are there and they are civil.

Ryccardo and migles like this.
  19. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    i am all up for a serious tag, and the offenders who start to shitpost get immediate suspension of 2 hours or 1 day or whatever is your usual suspension time...
    you just need to add a rule that participation in serious discusions there is a need to respect...

about personal attacks, it's sometimes hard to know if a person is really attacking, or just a case of misunderstanding.. but for this you can soft remove the post and the user as an oppurtunity of explaining that he was not attacking the OP or others...
    however, this would work in the case users are mature enough to reason.. and don't get mad\angry and rampage against the person who deleted it's post because a mis understanding..

Last edited by migles, Jun 3, 2017
    RoseyDreamy likes this.
  20. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    I think having a 'Serious' tag may not be such a bad idea. Unofficial tags (eg [Serious], [PSA] etc) are already being used anyway.

I am happy that members are keen to have serious discussions in contrast to the barrage of low quality memes and what have you nowadays. Having said that, my take on the Temp is that everything except for the EoF is (or should be) technically serious. While there are a number of members who can hold serious discussions, there are just as many, if not more, who are incapable of doing so. They are good at making statements and treating them as the one and only truths. It is one of those unfortunate "This is why we can't have nice things" scenario. It's not exclusive to topics involving politics, religion, sexuality etc but because these topics involve the fundamentals of your beliefs, it can and will be emotionally charged. I want to believe in our members. I really do but if some of the serious threads we've had are anything to go by, I'd rather err on the side of caution and not take that risk.

21. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    I understand, it's indeed a pity, but can't we restrict access (temporary) for the flamers, like suspending them from serious talk?