Serial number lost?!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Quincy, Jan 4, 2012.

Jan 4, 2012

Serial number lost?! by Quincy at 8:43 PM (1,011 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Quincy
    OP

Member Quincy Your own personal guitarist :3

Netherlands
    Hi all. I have a Wii.. Well.. What's left of it anyways. The bastard doesn't read discs, outer casing is removed and lost. But now, I'm trying to find my serial number in which I'm horribly failing. Is the code saved in the NAND? And if so, is there any way to retrieve it?

Nothing on the box of the wii, I've dug that up from the attic.

2. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    Yes. The serial number is usually saved in title/00000001/00000002/data/setting.txt. You can get that file with FSToolBox and IOS236, or extract it from a previously created BootMii NAND dump with nandExtract. Also, keep in mind that this file is encrypted, so you'll have to use SettingEdit on your PC to view its info.

Alternatively, I think apps like WiiMod and Multi-Mod Manager display the console serial on their info menus, but I really haven't tried it out. Hope this helps.

3. Quincy
    OP

Netherlands
    Thank you so much! I will try that method after I hook my wii up to our (brand new) LCD :lol:

4. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    No homebrew app can read the serial number (except maybe a NAND formatter, I don't remember what it was called), since there is no function for it. I tried writing my own after adding the function to check the region code, but it didn't work and I got bored, lol. Stupid C keeps confusing me. I really need to get a C for Dummies book and learn it properly.

5. Quincy
    OP

Netherlands
    Umm Joostin, I just succesfully recovered my S/N using the FSToolBox method ;)

6. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    And you decrypted it on the computer, not on your Wii with a homebrew app. You couldn't have used MMM or Wii Mod to do it.

7. Quincy
    OP

Netherlands
    Ooh like that. Well if someone were to port the application (or rewite it, whatever) I can't see why it couldn't be possible.

8. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    Comex NAND Formatter. Yeah, I remember it.

Its source code is available; the only problem is that it is a BootMii/MINI application, and thus is compiled in a different way than most of homebrew applications. I don't really know if you can use part of its code in your projects, but it wouldn't hurt to try.