Hacking Sensor bar really just ir signals??

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah saw that, that's crazy ><

What it means is the sensor bar does not "sense" at all - it's the wiimote that does the sensing - all the sensor bar does is send out an IR signal, it's not receiving anything.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
It's pretty nifty technology
happy.gif

rabbit1654

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does it mean that one can possibly forget about the cable for the sensorbar and connect it to something else to send IR signals? the sensorbar-cable is to short and I'm asking myself for some days how to make it a little longer ;-)

so I possibly can without gettin any problems flick in another piece of cable and fix it together?!

no data going through this cable right?

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
That's what it looks like. Cable = power.

But I myself wouldn't risk it until I was absolutely sure that the sensor bar didn't have more functionality than what it looks like from this video (read the comments on the article to see what I mean - have a look at this however
wiifig26.jpg

Does that look complicated to you
tongue.gif
?).

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Seems to me that someone could make a small circuit to emit the same IR frequency the bar does normally, and place it inside the bar, along with a power sourse (batteries).

After I played around with it a bit, I did find out that it's a steady frequency, no variances to complicate matters. Well, except when you calibrate it, it flickers a little bit, but that's not really important. Really, it probably doesn't even require a specific frequency, you could probably just make some really basic flickering timer circuit (just to save power), so long as it's stead enough to keep the pointer on screen at all times.

edit: Looks like the sensor bar only uses 12V DC. That is, going into it. I don't have tri-wing screwdrivers small enough to take it apart, so I don't know what it is across the LEDs.

yatzr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Seems to me that someone could make a small circuit to emit the same IR frequency the bar does normally, and place it inside the bar, along with a power sourse (batteries).

After I played around with it a bit, I did find out that it's a steady frequency, no variances to complicate matters. Well, except when you calibrate it, it flickers a little bit, but that's not really important. Really, it probably doesn't even require a specific frequency, you could probably just make some really basic flickering timer circuit (just to save power), so long as it's stead enough to keep the pointer on screen at all times.

edit: Looks like the sensor bar only uses 12V DC. That is, going into it. I don't have tri-wing screwdrivers small enough to take it apart, so I don't know what it is across the LEDs.
Did you look at the waveform on an oscilloscope? If so, I'm interested in the details. If not, I may just bring my oscilloscope home tonight and see for myself.
From looking at the picture that dirtie posted, and some general assuming, I would say that all 10 LEDs are wired in series giving about 1.2V per LED. From my experience, that is actually a lot of voltage for a run of the mill LED such as these. You could always make your own by wiring in parallel or a combination to make it whatever voltage you wanted. If they sold sensor bars separately, I'd actually take one apart, figure it out and try to make my own.

CobraKing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did you look at the waveform on an oscilloscope? If so, I'm interested in the details. If not, I may just bring my oscilloscope home tonight and see for myself.
From looking at the picture that dirtie posted, and some general assuming, I would say that all 10 LEDs are wired in series giving about 1.2V per LED. From my experience, that is actually a lot of voltage for a run of the mill LED such as these. You could always make your own by wiring in parallel or a combination to make it whatever voltage you wanted. If they sold sensor bars separately, I'd actually take one apart, figure it out and try to make my own.

They sell it for 10bux on nintendo.com

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, I don't have an oscope to check it with. But yea, I was also thinking that was a lot of voltage for those LEDs.

But last night I was thinking that maybe the circuit is in the sensor bar. Maybe just a 555 tucked away under one of those boards. Because when I checked the voltage, I just stuck two leads into the sensor bar port on the back of the Wii. It read 12V steadily. So maybe we wouldn't even need to bother with a circuit, just stick a few button batteries in there.

corbs132

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody ever hear of the mega tvbgone? maybe it was ultra tvbegone... whatever. It was 20 ir leds. 4 rows parallel x 5 rows series. Mega current AND voltage! it was wired to a 9v. pretty nifty. im gonna make a sensor bar over Christmas break, ill get some pics!

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
wow, the wiimote rocks.....why did sony say that it couldnt have rumble again?

The wiimote has rumble, speaker, spaces for Miis, and can triangulate its position!

Dude, don't you know Sony sucks ?
biggrin.gif

No, they don't have rumbles because they've been sued by the company who invented the technology used for the Dualshocks... Officialy, they don't have rumbling controllers because of the sysaxis system... But the real reason is they CAN'T use rumbling anymore...

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ben_i speaks the truth.

Sony was sued by a company called Immersion that basically had patents on the gyration system used in Dual-Shock controllers.

For every rumble-enabled game and Dual-Shock controller that Sony sells from now on, they have to pay Immersion a royalty. I believe once Sony pays Immersion what they were rewarded in court, they can use rumble technology without any problems. But Sony doesn't want to pay Immersion so instead opted to remove the rumble function of their new controllers entirely.

They claim that it is because they are not able to fit both a rumble device and a movement sensor in the same controller simultaneously, but Immersion stated that, within just a few hours, they came up with 6 solutions to fit both functions into a Dual-Shock controller and offered to share the information with Sony, but Sony declined.

I think Immersion also sued Microsoft; Microsoft not only paid out the suit, but purchased the particular division of Immersion company that dealt with the related vibration functions. Or something like that.

By the way, Immersion cannot sue Nintendo because they invented their own rumble technology.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

screwed

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
wow, the wiimote rocks.....why did sony say that it couldnt have rumble again?

The wiimote has rumble, speaker, spaces for Miis, and can triangulate its position!

I belive Sony's "official" statement was: "well.. uhm.. rumble was last gen. This is Next gen..."
but everyone knows its cause they were sued by those who hold the copyright or whatever for "rumble". And legally couldnt bring it on the new controller.
Its not the first time Sony tries to find a positive in a negative.. atleast as far as the public has to know.
I bet they would have used rumble if they could. Playing without rumble this day in age just feel weird.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sony only needed to pay licensing to put it in the PS3, however, they are still in court over the issue and their arrogance is whats stopping ps3 owners from having rumble.

Microsoft was also sued but settled this out of court and bought licensing. Nintendo's technology doesn't infringe on the patent, so they have not had any issues with it.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.