Sending wii for repair

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by FSSimon, Sep 24, 2009.

Sep 24, 2009

Sending wii for repair by FSSimon at 12:49 AM (943 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. FSSimon
    OP

Member FSSimon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hi all,

So my wii is showing growing signs of what is called "black pixels of death". I started noticing it when I upgraded from a 20 inch crt to a 32 inches LCD and using component cables. I also disabled wiiconnect24 as it is reported to generate undue heat. My wii is vertical and never gets really hot.

But it's slowly getting worse. I'm considering sending my wii for repair.

My wii is 2 years old, bootmii is installed as boot2. I have made regular nand dumps and saved them on my pc.

My plan is to format the nand, then send the wii for repair; and finally restore the nand after repair.

Is that a sound plan? Any other considerations and tips? What are some of your experiences?

thanks

2. Wilson735

Member Wilson735 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nintendo doesn't really check the NAND when you send in the system for repair. Their process is basically: turn on the Wii. No video? Send user a replacement, fix the damaged console later.

3. CasperH

CasperH Newbie

A while ago there was a bill posted on HackMii for softmodding (210 for fixing!)

4. justmike

Member justmike GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    $210? I need to send my Wii for repair because the same issue.

What do you guys recommend? I have Preloader on, but I let the Wii start up normally and moved my channels to the SD card.

Will it be safe to send?

5. FSSimon
    OP

Member FSSimon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    In the end I decided not to send it for repair. The pixels don't show up at all in many games. It has stabilisez. I'm on 4.1 now and everything is working fine; don't want to risk loosing this.
    The price quotation for the repair was 85 can$. And I found out my waranty was good up to 2 months ago...

6. justmike

Member justmike GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I sent my Wii in for repair 4 days ago.

I'm having your problem.

I saw it in only a few games. Then it slowly decided to show up in more games. Then the system menu. I'm out of warranty and just hid my hacks.

LOL, now I hope it comes back!!