Sending my N3DS in for repair, should I update to 10.x beforehand ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by CokeCookie, Mar 10, 2016.

1. CokeCookie
    OP

CokeCookie Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Hey, so I've got my N3DSXL about 3 weeks ago, downgraded from 9.9 to 9.2, set up Emunand, etc.
    Now I'm going to send it in for repair because of the c-stick. Ofc I'll remove everything that could be
    connected to hax/cfw but I don't know if I should upgrade the firmware to 10.x before sending it to
    Nintendo (since a N3DS that came with 9.9 being on 9.2 might be a little suspicious ?) On top of that
    I don't know if the downgrade process is visible in the tickets.db file.
    I'd like to hear some opinions, maybe even from people who got their system repaired.

thanks

2. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Yeah, I'd recommend you update it for the reasons you said. It's not like they'll perma-ban your 3DS. Right?

3. Scarlet

Scarlet Phone Charm

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    I'd take a NAND backup and leave it on your N3DS mSD card with all your files. After that, update it and blitz it of anything that shouldn't be on a normal system. Then if they send you the same system back (check with the serial number), you can downgrade, restore the backup and pick up from where you left off ^^

4. CokeCookie
    OP

CokeCookie Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Yeah that's pretty much the plan so far. I think I'll update it to 10.5 and just hope that they don't upgrade it further. In the worst case
    I'll still have like a million Nand Backups from 9.2 that I could restore through a hardmod if everything else fails.

5. Classicgamer

Classicgamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    How did the c-stick become faulty?

6. Scarlet

Scarlet Phone Charm

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    Be sure to check the serial of the console they send. Nintendo have just sent me a refurb console before that wasn't mine, and restoring a NAND backup from a different system would brick it.

7. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    I did it yesterday.
    I updated to 10.6 before send, but I don't care since I will can downgrad when my n3ds will be back

8. CokeCookie
    OP

CokeCookie Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2015
    Gambia, The
    It was faulty out of the box. Up + Left work fine while down/right need so much force that it's impossible to play Monster Hunter for longer than maybe half a hour.

Yup, I wrote mine down and even backed up all my saves with savedatafiler for that case.

Well, 10.6 wouldn't be the worst outcome for me but I'd either have to get OOT or a hardmod in that case.
    You didn't do anything else besides updating and formatting the system ?

Last edited by CokeCookie, Mar 10, 2016
  9. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    Thank you for posting this. I also have issues with my C-Stick. I should also do this..

10. rickycoe123

rickycoe123 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 23, 2014
    Why don't you guys open the console yourself to fix it, no warranty seals as far as I know. Really easy to open and take a look.

Gray_Jack likes this.
  11. Shadowfied

Dec 6, 2014
    Do you know how to fix it?

12. CokeCookie
    OP

CokeCookie Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2015
    Gambia, The
    most likely a problem with either the upper or the lower part of the c-stick, both are replacable and not too expensive.

yes, i could replace it myself but downgrading from the newest fw is possible atm and my system is only 3 weeks old. So before I rip something apart and
    have to get even more parts replaced, I'd rather let Nintendo do the repair.

saikorican likes this.
  13. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    I always fear the cstick will just break off thats why i don't play shooters with it

14. Shadowfied

Dec 6, 2014
    Break off? Mine has never felt like that at all, problem with mine is that it wont move down properly, works fine in the other directions but I have to press hard with my fucking nail in order for it to register down which sucks.

15. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    it doesn't feel like it will but i'm overly cautious and paranoid :ohnoes: after my grip fell off on my o3ds (Nintendo wanted 90$ just to put the grip back on thats chuffing bollox) ive never been the same

Last edited by Raylight, Mar 10, 2016
  16. Omegadrien

Omegadrien GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    OK, I just upgrade to 10.6 and i will send it for repair tomorrow!! Ah ! This fu**ing C-stick :gun: Now, i pray nintendo to don't release a 10.7 update...

Last edited by Omegadrien, Mar 10, 2016
    Raylight likes this.
  17. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    My Paranoia is not without a reason lol

18. Omegadrien

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    Nintendo takes always 2-3 weeks to patch a vulnerability, so... (and i can do a hardmod in worst case).

Raylight likes this.
  19. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    true enough

20. Omegadrien

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland