Hacking Sending my N3DS in for repair, should I update to 10.x beforehand ?

CokeCookie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey, so I've got my N3DSXL about 3 weeks ago, downgraded from 9.9 to 9.2, set up Emunand, etc.
Now I'm going to send it in for repair because of the c-stick. Ofc I'll remove everything that could be
connected to hax/cfw but I don't know if I should upgrade the firmware to 10.x before sending it to
Nintendo (since a N3DS that came with 9.9 being on 9.2 might be a little suspicious ?) On top of that
I don't know if the downgrade process is visible in the tickets.db file.
I'd like to hear some opinions, maybe even from people who got their system repaired.

thanks

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd take a NAND backup and leave it on your N3DS mSD card with all your files. After that, update it and blitz it of anything that shouldn't be on a normal system. Then if they send you the same system back (check with the serial number), you can downgrade, restore the backup and pick up from where you left off ^^

CokeCookie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah that's pretty much the plan so far. I think I'll update it to 10.5 and just hope that they don't upgrade it further. In the worst case
I'll still have like a million Nand Backups from 9.2 that I could restore through a hardmod if everything else fails.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah that's pretty much the plan so far. I think I'll update it to 10.5 and just hope that they don't upgrade it further. In the worst case
I'll still have like a million Nand Backups from 9.2 that I could restore through a hardmod if everything else fails.
Be sure to check the serial of the console they send. Nintendo have just sent me a refurb console before that wasn't mine, and restoring a NAND backup from a different system would brick it.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I did it yesterday.
I updated to 10.6 before send, but I don't care since I will can downgrad when my n3ds will be back

CokeCookie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How did the c-stick become faulty?
It was faulty out of the box. Up + Left work fine while down/right need so much force that it's impossible to play Monster Hunter for longer than maybe half a hour.

Be sure to check the serial of the console they send. Nintendo have just sent me a refurb console before that wasn't mine, and restoring a NAND backup from a different system would brick it.
Yup, I wrote mine down and even backed up all my saves with savedatafiler for that case.

I did it yesterday.
I updated to 10.6 before send, but I don't care since I will can downgrad when my n3ds will be back
Well, 10.6 wouldn't be the worst outcome for me but I'd either have to get OOT or a hardmod in that case.
You didn't do anything else besides updating and formatting the system ?

Last edited by CokeCookie,

CokeCookie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
most likely a problem with either the upper or the lower part of the c-stick, both are replacable and not too expensive.

Why don't you guys open the console yourself to fix it, no warranty seals as far as I know. Really easy to open and take a look.
yes, i could replace it myself but downgrading from the newest fw is possible atm and my system is only 3 weeks old. So before I rip something apart and
have to get even more parts replaced, I'd rather let Nintendo do the repair.

Reactions: saikorican

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I always fear the cstick will just break off thats why i don't play shooters with it
Break off? Mine has never felt like that at all, problem with mine is that it wont move down properly, works fine in the other directions but I have to press hard with my fucking nail in order for it to register down which sucks.

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Break off? Mine has never felt like that at all, problem with mine is that it wont move down properly, works fine in the other directions but I have to press hard with my fucking nail in order for it to register down which sucks.
it doesn't feel like it will but i'm overly cautious and paranoid :ohnoes: after my grip fell off on my o3ds (Nintendo wanted 90$ just to put the grip back on thats chuffing bollox) ive never been the same

Last edited by Raylight,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free