1. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I dunno if Semiconductor shortage or people buying up GPUs to mine crypto is fucking over PC gamer's chances of buying a new gaming GPU. I sit here sad with my Ryzen 5600x and HD 6850. I refuse to pay those scalper prices!

Xzi likes this.
  2. x65943

x65943 the end is nigh, buy doge coin
    Global Moderator

United States
    Watch this video than imagine what it takes to build more of these facilities
    There is a shortage for the entire world across all industries - if it was easy to increase production you could do it and make billions of dollars, but it's ridiculously complicated stuff that takes years to setup

HarvHouHacker likes this.
  3. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    We aren't "running out" of semiconductors, its that there's a sudden spike in demand. The demand spike we're seeing is assumed to be pandemic related, and therefore temporary. That's why they don't want to invest to meet demand that may not be there in 5 years time.

Additionally game hardware is pretty low in priority for fabs (because of low volume of orders) compared to things like phones and cars. So they get back of the queue for further orders.

4. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    That also works

5. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States
    That's what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket, and your Chinese employee kids are jumping off the roofs to their death. Time to pull out of China and expand your markets into new countries. I know mine would like a few back, though these days we're not much different than China with all our baby slaughter, censorship, propaganda, and what not.

6. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware
    Developer

Micronesia, Federated States of
    The bigger news is this shortage makes the Switch Pro less likely -- they'll just rebrand it to Switch 2 in 2022-23 I think.

7. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker Owner of the Rock Band Customs Project

United States
    Ah, yes. I knew it was a tedious process; I just didn't know how tedious. Still, production of semiconductors could be increased if the world needs them so badly - after all, we're not running out of sand anytime soon!

8. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    No, production cannot be increased any further, it's already at 110% and still failing to meet demand. A big part of the problem is auto manufacturers, who cancelled orders in mass early last year when people weren't driving much or at all. Then toward the end of the year, when both consumer and enterprise demand inevitably went back up, they started ordering obscene amounts of semiconductors for use in engine/dash computers. This was also right around the time Nvidia and AMD were releasing a new line of GPUs, and Sony/MS were releasing next-gen consoles.

Long story short: the demand was piled on all at once, far outpacing the speed at which new supply could be manufactured. Supply isn't projected to catch up with demand until mid-2022 at the earliest, possibly not until 2023.

x65943 likes this.
  9. teamlocust

teamlocust GBAtemp Regular

India
    good, time to upgrade the switch, put your r&d resources for that.

10. notrea11y

notrea11y GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    For as long as demand stays this high and companies keep being egoistical and lacking foresight: Unlikely.

*SomeCompany:
    "Oh hey! We really need to produce y'know ? Better send the same chip order to multiple manufacturers, I'm sure someone will fill our order"

*AllOtherCompanies: "Hey, le'ts do that too!"

*ChipManufacturer: "Hey Boss, erm.. I think we have a problem"

... In a way this is a great mirror of the whole COVID affair.
    Due to everyone thinking of /emselvesc first and not taking into account the impact on others, over a year later we still are f***ed...
    Great.

Instead of being smart, even corporates choose the headless chicken mentality at these times.
    Embarrassing...

Last edited by notrea11y, May 11, 2021
    RobXcore likes this.
  11. tomasowa

tomasowa Garden-Variety Random

United States
    The most-quoted reasons for this year's shortage are:
    • Stay at Home Lifestyle and increased Electronics purchase;
    • Limiting China exports on Western countries; and
    • Taiwan drought.
    The first two of three are slowly improving with new Government Policies and Vaccinations, so I am confident enough to say it won't last more than another year; I doubt the people who've already just bought a PC for Work at Home will immediately buy another one the next year, so there is light at the end of this shortage tunnel.

Now if we can convince the Gaming Collectors to stop buying 3 of everything, we all might have a chance of owning something shiny and new to play with ...

Last edited by tomasowa, May 11, 2021 - Reason: Wording.
    Payne likes this.
  12. kenenthk

kenenthk Village Idiot

Burkina Faso
    Switch pro power nothing.

13. Ottoclav

Ottoclav Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    its not that they don't want to make more factories, its that building new facilities takes a considerable amount of time, especially when dealing with technology that requires many levels of "clean-room" facilities. Remember, ANYTHING that requires a computer is needing these semi-conductors, and EVERY company is trying to get some. On top of that, if manufacturers are going to build new facilities, then they will be needing robots to make the chips, which require chips to build new robots upon more robots. Meanwhile, several chip factories have experienced incendiary incidents causing more delays in production. GM thought they were going to be releasing their new fleet of EV's, along with VW and KIA and several others Auto manufacturers, ALL needing those semi-conductors. The current supply and demand of semi-conductors is like setting the wise all-knowing Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock on fire and we are listening to the screams.

14. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    There are some problems on what you talking.

Semiconductors today are produced in a variety of countries, but mostly on South Korea and Taiwan, AKA not China,

About your second point, you are talking from a country that violates human rights badly (and for your comment you are aware of that), and guess what, mine country do violate a lot of human rights too, so if this will be a commercial criteria, we should put like 75% of world population under embargo.

So either way, it is not child labor suicide that is the problem, it is a huge demand that nobody were accounting for, because back in January of 2020 we all thought that this corona thing was just another flu.

XDel likes this.
  15. RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing Really lovin' NFO style

Australia
    Why even bother buying a Switch, when all the good ones (launch-models) are already gone? Just search for one of those on Ebay or Amazon or something.

16. Animewaifu7

Animewaifu7 Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    One Word: Scalpers

17. Osha

Osha Weh

France
    Drop the tinfoil hat, it's literally what it says on the tin. It's a worldwide issue and affects every single electronics manufacturer. Plus how do you want em to "supposedly" make a Switch Pro during this shortage anyway, make them appear out of thin air ?

Last edited by Osha, May 11, 2021
  18. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I’ll be very amused if they cancel the (already finalized/complete) new Switch over this.

19. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

United States
    They also need to take this time to redesign the joycons

20. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States

I did not realize semiconductors were made outside of China. Where I work, that's where ours come from.

And no, this Covid has a HUGE survival rate, it mostly just takes the lives of those who already have sever medical conditions or are over weight, had diet, no sun, etc.

More have died by choices made in reaction to Covid than of Covid 19 itself.

And yes, all countries need to stop the slave driving, but China and N. Korea are obviously the worst.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Semiconductor, production, president