1. 2,669

Front-page
    fb-switch-1280x720.jpg

Nintendo is considering the possibility that it may not be able to meet its projected sales goal of Nintendo Switch systems this year. This isn't due to a lack of consumer interest, but rather the possible inability to produce enough Switch consoles because of the worldwide lack of semiconductors. During a press conference, Nintendo of Japan's president, Shuntaro Furukawa, stated that the company is doing everything it can, but there's rising uncertainty regarding their fiscal year plans being able to be met while the shortage is still ongoing. The projected shipment of 25.50 million units before March 2022 is still on track, but Furukawa implied Nintendo may have to revise those numbers if they run into issues sourcing the parts.

Last year, Nintendo sold a total of 28.83 million Switch systems, with Furukawa crediting the release of Animal Crossing: New Horizons during the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic for most of those sales. In 2019, it had been predicted that Nintendo would sell around 19.5 million units, which turned out to be greatly surpassed. Even so, Furukawa says that 25.50 million is a high number compared to previous years, especially with the Switch having hit its fourth anniversary just recently.

:arrow: Source (translation courtesy of VGC)

2. Discussion (46 replies)

3. Scott_pilgrim
    This message by Scott_pilgrim has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 11, 2021.
    May 11, 2021
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Finally, some good news this month.

(^:

Anyways, gasp, shocky surprises hahanotreally etc etc. Now let's see how long MS takes to announce exactly the same thing ;O;

k7ra, XAIXER, Mama Looigi and 2 others like this.
  5. x65943

x65943 the end is nigh, buy doge coin
    Global Moderator

United States
    :(

So now not only will there be PS5 and XBOX S|X scarcity, but last gen scarcity too

Sucks it's like near impossible to increase production scale in the short term

Xzi likes this.
  6. Switchgamer123

Newcomer

United States
    Well that can't be good

Xzi likes this.
  7. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    Name related

Wavy, Payne, Alternis and 2 others like this.
  8. RobXcore

RobXcore GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    I'm kinda getting sick of that semiconductor shortage bullshit. Is mass production gonna restart someday or are we fucked forever?

Jayro likes this.
  9. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    I bet five non existent bucks that Microsoft will also announce Xbox Series S and Series X shortage if they haven't already.

Xzi likes this.
  10. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    I know early on I remember hearing it was because certain companies (e.g. Huawei) were hoarding chips because they feared potential sanctions/trade war fallout

I think that kind of spiraled - but hopefully things will slowly get back to normal now that the US and China are on friendlier terms

11. zupi

zupi Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Even though it's a 3ds successor with a single screen and no powerful tabletop counterpart, the switch is still current gen lol
    In all its "portable PS3" glory

ChibiMofo likes this.
  12. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    I also happen to consider the switch as current gen (placing wiiu with PS4 and XBONE), but most people seem to disagree mostly due to the large separation in time between launches and also the widely disparate games being available for the systems

The wiiu saw a lot more 360/PS3 remasters than PS4/XBONE games

13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    Nobody wants to make more factories to end this fake shortage. Kinda pissing me off too.

14. BitMasterPlus

BitMasterPlus GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't have a switch yet so this is indifferent to me.

15. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    :rofl2:

You do realize "making more factories" takes literally years and billions of dollars, right? They are building new factories, it's simply going to take at least 5 years and some $20 billion dollars worth of equipment before they can even be up and running, let alone another year before they'll be ready to produce silicon at a steady rate. "Building more!" isn't a solution for now.

To be frank, there is no solution for now other than to sit and wait for demand to lower and production to increase...which likely won't be until 2022-2023.

Skelletonike, ChibiMofo and Xzi like this.
  16. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    As well as beating up any scalper we see in public. :creep:

Payne, Xzi and Tom Bombadildo like this.
  17. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

United States
    In other words, stuff we already knew like we've seen with PS5/XSeries,

18. AgentSkyblueM7

AgentSkyblueM7 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Sums up me and anyone else that doesn't seem to care, but actually do.
    Hy-phen-a-tion

19. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Semiconductors.... or is it that nvidia are no longer producing the chips and nintendo either have to pay for its upgrade chip (hence rumours of a shitty pro) or find another supplier.

If Semiconductors has nothing to do with the chip then fuck me, nintendo should have focused more on r&d than taking any tom dick and harry to court.

Its not like the switch isnt trying to make sales the wii u failed to get with all the lazy wii u and older ports.

New console, nothing new from nintednont to play.

20. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Vietnam
    Oh no.

Anyway, really look forward to their E3 this year.

21. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker Owner of the Rock Band Customs Project

United States
    I'm confused. Why are we running out of semiconductors? Does it really take that long to make high-quality ones? Is it a cop-out? Is it some other reason? What's going on here?!?

22. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    They say that it's gonna last until at least 2022/2023...but if you were to ask me, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some artificiality to the shortages.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Semiconductor, production, president