Hacking Semi-Brick

mungojerry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel stupid first-posting under such circumstances, but am just looking for some clarification please!

So I have an LEH267... serial no. Pal European Wii - purchased October '09. I think it came with 4.1 system menu. I upgraded online to 4.2(E) through official avenues.
I used the "Complete Softmod Guide" tutorial set (and read a lot of stickies and guides here), and softmodded my Wii.
I used the bannerbomb exploit, then installed HBC, and Bootmii (as IOS). I then used TBR and installed waninkoko (v14) and hermes' (v4) cIOS', installed Preloader v.030 and backed up my NAND using SFSD Nand Dumper.
Since then I have installed (and uninstalled) many WiiWare, Game Channel and Application .wad's and installed a cIOS202 update for USB2.0 compatibility with mPlayer CE. and got the free BBC iPlayer from the Shop Channel.

I have recently noticed I have a "semi-brick" - when I select Wii Settings from the Wii Options menu I get a blank black screen with the menu music still looping.
I have removed all Preloader hacks, and tried booting the Wii with all combinations of USB HDD, SD card and Game Disc in just in case any of these made a difference (obviously futile...).
I have a DOP-Mii-Report.csv file which details my IOS versions, fakesigns and es_identify's which I can post if it helps at all.
I have searched the forum already, and understand that I need to re-install my system menu, but would really like to make sure I know exactly what to do next so I don't mess anything up.

So my understanding is that I need to download the .wad's for System Menu 4.2E (my current version) using the NUS Auto Downloader and batch install them using DOP-Mii or similar software... is it really this simple?

My IOS 70 is v6687 with fakesign enabled, so am I fine to just install the System Menu wad's without (re)installing any more IOS? Or could this IOS be a part of the problem?
And will this affect my Menu, Channels etc. at all?
And is it okay to do this through the homebrew channel from the System Menu? Or should it be done from preloader before the System Menu has been run?

I hope I have been explicit enough and given enough info! I'm sorry if I'm over-complicating this at all, but I'm just nervous of getting something wrong!
Can anyone ease my fears and tell me definitively what to do?!?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
first off, i just want to say, great explanation, i wish all noobs were so detailed!

download the 4.2E system menu using my nus auto downloader or the original nusd. U only need to install the 1 wad file using yet another wad manager mod (YAWMM) (or any wad manager, but that ones the best) and that should fix ur problem, note that this will effectively uninstall preloader, so u should reinstall it afterwards (go for priiloader, v0.4 should be released any day now, but v0.3b is also good)

if the problem persists after reinstalling your system menu, u may want to perform a nand restore using bootmii

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If re-installing IOS70 or 4.2E System Menu doesnt sort it, you should look at removing any channels you have installed.

I assume homebrew and the like are still fully functional.

Keep us posted on your journey to recovery ...

mungojerry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks so much for the replies peeps!

I got your program NUS Auto Downloader and the System Menu wad in anticipation, and have to say that's a neat little program!

Thanks for the clarification on what to re-install and the warning about preloader!

I'll get on it now!

mungojerry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Perfect!

I just installed the System Menu wad with YAWMM, then installed the latest Priiloader and everything's peachy again!

Took less than two minutes!

Thanks so much!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
glad 2 hear u got everything sorted! I almost forgot to check up on this thread (I went to bed right after my posting).

And i'm glad u like my nus auto downloader program!

again, I have to say I was impressed with your original posting, u obviously did your homework. I've been helping people with their wii problems for over 6 months, and this was the best description I've ever read by far, I hope other newcomers can learn from your great example! **hint hint to any1 else reading this**

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I got Prime