Hacking Sellling DSTT... Acekard 2or Cyclo DS? Please Help

FreshSoul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I know I probably shouldn't be making this post, but I thought it would be the easiest.. here is my situation.

My younger cousins have fallen in love with my dstt and now want to buy it from me. So now I have a choice of either getting the dstt as a replacement or trying something else.

My initial reaction was to just get the dstt again since i already know how to use it. But it seems like there is much more potential in other brands. I was looking into the Acekard 2 and the Cyclo DS.

Here are my concerns though:
- Would the games and the save files transfer over easy? Is there any difference in formatting? Dstt = .nds and .sav (This is my main concern)
- Is it reliable? Is it likely that it will break down meaning that I would have to replace it?
- It seems like the skins are limited... Cyclo DS has a few and Acekard 2 has none. I currently have Jessica Alba on my DSTT... Do I have to say goodbye to her?
cry.gif

- The price seems fine... I'm looking to spend at most around $30
- How is the interface on both?
- Do either of them create a separate folder for saves? Could I still create a new folder labeled "Games" to prevent llag.
- Do they automatically alphabetize, or would you have to do the "Cut and paste into new folder trick"
- Whats the reliability of games working?
- Are there any hidden problems about the cards? Or things you don't like about the cards?
- Do they work with SDHC?

The main thing I would do is play the games. I can play mp3s on my laptop or car. I don't need to watch videos on there (screen is too small anyways). I only have the ipod mod and moonshell just to show off
yaynds.gif

I haven't run into many homebrews that I really like. (If you guys have any suggestions, please tell me) Like useful ones
grog.gif

I've looked into both and I really just don't know which one to get. So if you guys could give me opinions on what to get or give me opinions on which is better, that would be great.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. This site is great.

I'll get you a beer or something if you are in my area
grog.gif
If you are under aged, I'll get you an ice cream cone.
nyanya.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. The games (.nds files) are the same for all carts. The AK2 uses the same save file format, but you'll have to rename your save files (filename.nds.sav for the AK2 vs. filename.sav for the DSTT). For the CycloDS, I believe you'll need to use a save file converter. There is an online version here: http://shunyweb.info/convert.php

2. Both carts are reliable. Some of the earlier CycloDS's had problems with the microSD card sticking out a little bit. There was also a bad batch of AK2's, but the problem was corrected so your chances of getting a bad one are small. If you buy from a reputable store, you will be able to exchange it if you get a bad one. Some stores like leetmod.com will test your cart before sending them to you.

3. There are plenty of skins for both the CycloDS and the AK2. The AK2 has one of the most skinnable interfaces of any cart, as you're able to move buttons around and such. I don't know if there are any Jessica Alba skins, but there are skinning guides that would allow you to make your own if you have the time. For the AK2 you can also use the Skin Customizer program that helps you to make your own skins.

4. The CycloDS is much more than $30, so that pretty much makes your decision right there! The AK2 is very reasonably priced, particularly from DealExtreme.com (currently $23.46 with free shipping). Leetmod.com is a little more expensive, but much faster shipping (2-3 days to the U.S. as opposed to 3-4 weeks from DealExtreme).

5. The interface on the AK2 is the best interface available on any cart including the CycloDS (other than the much more expensive Acekard RPG perhaps -- the two have similar interfaces).

6. I believe that both the CycloDS and the AK2 store save files in the same folder as the game. Yes, you can put your games in a "games" folder. Unlike the DSTT, both carts will allow you to organize your games into as many folders as you want, and they show the folders in the menu.

7. Yes, they will both alphabetize the files.

8. Both are compatible with nearly all games. The Acekard 2 is probably a little less compatible due to the fact that it's a brand new cart (firmware updates come out fairly regularly to fix incompatibilities).

9. I don't have a CycloDS so I can't say what the drawbacks of that cart would be. There are few if any drawbacks of the Acekard 2 other than the fact that its shell isn't quite as sturdy as some other carts (no big deal, it won't break if you drop it or anything, but it's a little less "solid" feeling due to the fact that it's held together by little plastic clips). And as I mentioned above, the Acekard 2 has a few incompatibility problems loading games on slower microSD/HC cards which are likely to be fixed in upcoming firmware updates (you can avoid nearly all of the problems by using a faster microSD/HC card).

10. Yes, they both work with SDHC cards. As mentioned above, get a faster microSDHC card (a class 6) if you plan to use a microSDHC with an AK2. If you're going to get a card that is under 4GB, I would recommend getting a Japanese-made Kingston microSD and format it with the FAT16 file system.

My favorite homebrew is Pocket Physics. I also have DSOrganize and a few other homebrew apps.

If your budget is under $30, you don't have an option (the CycloDS is much more expensive). For your needs, I would recommend the Acekard 2 even if you had an unlimited budget, as the CycloDS and Acekart RPG (so-called "high end" carts) are more expensive but add a few additional features that not many people would use (real-time game dumps/loads, in-game menus, slow-motion, etc). There is also the possibility that the Acekard 2 will eventually have some of those features since it uses similar firmware as it's big brother. With the Acekard 2's awesome menu (particularly Bliss' homebrew menu system which adds many enhancements to the official menu), I think it's the best lower-cost cart. Some people like the SCDS1 (but I think it's slightly more expensive than $30) because it has those extra features that the more expensive carts have, but its menu isn't nearly as nice as the AK2's menu.

As for the beer -- what area do you live in?

-Bri

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
No point in changing for an Acekard-2 unless a prettier menu is really going to do it for you. If your after functions and features go for the scds-1 then the cyclo 2nd as it has less features.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The question is whether you're interested in the extra features of the SCDS1.

If not, the Acekard 2 is a better choice. It's menu isn't just prettier (although it is much prettier) but it's much more responsive than the SCDS1's. It also happens to cost about $8 less than the SCDS1 ($23.46 vs. $31.11 at DealExtreme).

So you have to decide whether the extra features are worth the extra cost and worse menu.

-Bri

LagunaCid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Basically, if you want Save States go for CycloDS or SuperCard. If not, Acekard. Ta-da.
I wanted SS so I went for CycloDS.

FreshSoul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow thank you guys for all your responses. I actually live in San Jose California Bri.

Quick question though, What is the SCDS? Can someone link me?

I only said around $30 because I bought my DSTT off dealextreme for that much with a 2 gig micro sd. This time I plan to just purchase the card off newegg, 4gig sdhc class 6. And I will buy the kart off a site like dealextreme, or the recommended site, leetmod.

So far, it looks like I am leaning towards the Acekard 2 more. Looks like I would just need to change the name of my .sav file to .nds.save ... which is simple enough. As for the skins, I guess I just need to learn how to. Is there a program where I can just pick a picture and it does it for me?

Oh, I forgot to ask... does the acekard automatically trim the files? Can't you also move and delete files?

I forgot my other questions.. Thank you for helping me so much guys.

Edit....

Actually, I answered my own questions. There is rom trimming and you can copy, paste, and delete files. I guess my only question is... Whats up with the cheat features? I don't really understand when they say you need to configure it every single time.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FreshSoul,

SCDS1 is "Supercard DS One". Here's a link on DealExtreme.com: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5097

The review for the SCDS1 on this site is quite old, and there have been a lot of updates since then. There are plenty of threads comparing the SCDS1 with other carts, but I think the biggest drawback to the SCDS1 is its menu system which is a bit slow and unresponsive (it's actually a modified older version of moonshell), and somewhat more complicated to use than other menus. Otherwise, it's a fairly inexpensive cart (although a bit more expensive than the AK2) and has extra features like game state saves, in-game menu, etc. like some of the much more expensive carts. So if you're interested in some of the extra features and are willing to accept the less-elegant menu and higher cost, you might consider the SCDS1.

As for the AK2, if you use the Bliss menu instead of the official menu you won't have to worry about rebuilding the cheat database. I highly recommend the Bliss menu. It looks like the official menu and uses the official loader, but has a lot more features and fixes nearly all the annoyances of the official menu (like the cheat database thing). Get it here: http://bliss.hanirc.org/blog/

-Bri

FreshSoul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh okay.. thank you thank you... I'm guessing all the skinning is still the same then? So basically, when I get the card, instead of updating the card with the firmware from the site... update with this instead?

ZyberMaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
were you unsatisfied with dstt? if not then just get a replacement no need to try a new card, that you might end up not like... Well you can alway go beat up your younger cousin and get your dstt back if the new card doesnt work out......JK

Anyway if you live in San Jose there should be a Fry's Electronic store near by. That were I get my sdhc already brink 2 and return it before i realize i need to get a new card reader cuz those free bundle card readers are crap. Fry had a sale for 4gb for the pass 2 month 19.99. I try the sandisk, patriot, transcends , A-data, kingston (only class 4 but works the best) however a-data show better data but a minor issue with TWEWY when u start a new game with soft-rest.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@FreshSoul: Yes, the Bliss menu comes with everything you need (download, unzip, and put it on your microSD card just as you would the official menu). The file structure of the Bliss menu is the same as that of the official menu, but has a few additional folders and files in the "__ak2" folder for plug-ins and other features. The Bliss menu also comes with several nice skins. Any AK2 skins you download will work with the Bliss menu as well (Bliss and the official menu both use the same skins).

@ZyberMaster: I like the DSTT and think it's a great cart for folks who want an extremely simple menu, particularly those who are technologically challenged (like children and small pets). But the AK2 is a lot nicer and about the same price.

-Bri

FreshSoul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was never unsatisfied with the DSTT. Its just that I have the opportunity to buy something else. The only thing that I didn't like about the DSTT is that it doesn't alphabetize by itself. I just want to try something new... and if its better, then thats just good for me. I will just need to learn the new interface and see what i can do with it. Does the ipod mod work on it? i like that mod.. its really cool.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FreshSoul said:
I was never unsatisfied with the DSTT. Its just that I have the opportunity to buy something else. The only thing that I didn't like about the DSTT is that it doesn't alphabetize by itself. I just want to try something new... and if its better, then thats just good for me. I will just need to learn the new interface and see what i can do with it. Does the ipod mod work on it? i like that mod.. its really cool.

There is a thing called FATsort, I believe, that organized the files alphabetically if you put it in the root of the card. Not too sure, but that's what I've heard.

And by the Ipod mod, you mean lick media player? Yea, it's pretty good.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The AK2 has plenty of advantages over the DSTT aside from the sorting (which is a huge advantage in my opinion). For example the Bliss menu launches GBA games without a loader program (i.e. GBA ExpLoader), has plug-ins, and lots of other features not available on the DSTT (even with YSMenu). Sure, you can use YSMenu (also available for the AK2, by the way) to launch GBA games without a loader but YSMenu isn't particularly pretty, doesn't use the touchscreen very effectively, and doesn't have all the features of the Bliss menu.

-Bri

FreshSoul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like my decision is made. I am going to get an AceKard 2 with 4gb sdhc class 6 micro sd. Thank You for all the help.

1.So I will download bliss off here and install it on the card. http://bliss.hanirc.org/blog/
2. Then I will create a "Games" folder
3. Then I will change my .sav files to nds.sav
4. Then I will download moonshell off their site... correct?
5. Then I will transfer all my games and enjoy

Is there anything else I need to do? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Do you guys recommend any homebrew stuff? If so, could you tell me what it exactly is, and why you like it. Again thank you so much for all your help.

I just need to decide where to order it now.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you're set.

Order it from dealextreme.com if you want it cheap and don't need it quickly. Otherwise, I like leetmod.com because it's very fast (2 to 3 days to the U.S.) and they test your cart before they send it to you.

As for homebrew, I use DSOrganize occasionally. And Pocket Physics is awesome.

-Bri

CorruptJon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
@FreshSoul: Yes, the Bliss menu comes with everything you need (download, unzip, and put it on your microSD card just as you would the official menu). The file structure of the Bliss menu is the same as that of the official menu, but has a few additional folders and files in the "__ak2" folder for plug-ins and other features. The Bliss menu also comes with several nice skins. Any AK2 skins you download will work with the Bliss menu as well (Bliss and the official menu both use the same skins).

@ZyberMaster: I like the DSTT and think it's a great cart for folks who want an extremely simple menu, particularly those who are technologically challenged (like children and small pets). But the AK2 is a lot nicer and about the same price.

-Bri
What the hell? Your pets use your DS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person