Selling 3ds that used gateway - any tips on wiping for new user?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by delt31, Oct 5, 2014.

1. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    I have a normal 3ds that I was able to use the gateway on. I now bought a 3ds xl so no longer need my old 3ds. I now want to sell my old 3ds. Any issues for the new owner as I'm not including the gateway. Basically can I sell this with the cards and if so, how do I wipe it clean for the new owner? Will the system restore go back to the original FW?

2. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    Just do a system restore on your sysnand while not connected to the internet. You should also delete your emunand partition if you're selling it with the SD card.

3. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    great thanks

these forums remain the best

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Don't forget to update it to at least 5.0U

Ronhero likes this.
  5. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Isn't being able to use Gateway a selling point? Why would he want to update?

6. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    Yeah DEF not updating - just wiping for new user

7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I was kidding. :) I've been up for 36 hours, but yeah... Just a reset and you should be golden. :)

8. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    one more question - just so I don't mess this up. I've updated my emunand via 2.3b so to return everything to stock and NOT lose 4.X FW, do I simply do the system restore via built in option in the home menu OR do I do this restore via gateway? If someone wouldn't mind walking me through I would appreciate it.

9. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    Just do it through regular system menu. Like HunterB said make sure wifi is off just to be safe.

10. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    If you do Emunand system restore remember you will have to use the blue card again as the exploit gets wiped from the SD card/sysnand.

11. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    he WANTS to wipe it, why would he reinstall it again? that's the work of the next user, if he actually wants to use gateway

12. Neptune

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Re-read OP, doesn't want to sell with the cards but then says he wants to sell with the cards (??)

Looks like he was including the Gateway. Also, why would someone buy a 3DS with a Gateway if they didn't want to use. I was letting him know that if he didn't delete the emunand partition and he planned on giving to someone "working" with Gateway already set up when the user got it, it wouldn't work out of the box.

13. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    he probably meant selling the 3ds with the sd card, as he said, he won't sell his gateway with it
    and is selling a 3DS with an exploit pre-installed even legal? I think that might be part of the reason, why he wants to wipe it in the first place, so I still think, reinstalling the exploit after wiping the system is redundant
    if the new user wants to use it with a flashcard, then he can install the exploit

14. Neptune

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    People sell Wii's modified all the time on eBay. Exploit modifies something with Profile causing a jmp to executable code on the SD card. Exploit itself would be legal, technically I'm sure the launcher.dat wouldn't be though.

15. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    To clarify - I'm would like to sell the 3ds WITHOUT the gateway (keeping it for my xl) so I would like to restore the system to wipe out the exploit. Knowing this, I simply do a system restore via the 3ds menu not gateway? Kind of confused b/c someone mentioned doing a emunand restore but all I would need to do is format the SD card I provide with the system which should take care of that no?

16. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    yes, if you format the whole sd, not just the visible partition, then your emunand gets deleted, too
    and yes, do it in the normal 3ds system settings

17. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    great thanks!