Seiken Densetsu 3 /secret of mana 2

tenkai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really enjoy the game but theres one problem the combat. its slow moving meaning i cant dodge any enemy attacks and often find myself praying to live.( im the cleric class). what i really wish is for someone to make a hack where you can run durring combat. anyone willing to help me? thanks

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I think that would require an entire revamp of the code, which like the Mother 2 part of the Mother 1 + 2 translation is so complicated it would require so much time and effort that it isn't worth it.

tenkai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think it would be that hard but if it is then i guess I'll just play it as it is..its just that the combat is so bad in SoM2..too bad its not like the first secret of mana.
sad.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
I think that would require an entire revamp of the code, which like the Mother 2 part of the Mother 1 + 2 translation is so complicated it would require so much time and effort that it isn't worth it.
You wouldn't have to do that much! That's going way overboard. You simply need to change a few commands.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
maybe you just need to use the cheat search engine.
I like Zsnes to search codes, but maybe other emulators can do searches too.

Make comparison state from when you can run and when you can't until you have less enough code to try each of them.
The moving speed is only a parameter (boolean or integer) set when entering combat mode, just freeze the value with normal speed.

tenkai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so it really isn't that complicated? if its not il try to to do it but im a beginner at hacking so il need some help.

if anyone is willing to help me do it i would greatly appreciate it. thanks to all who commented.
smile.gif

Cyan can you explain what i need to do? because I don't really understand what to do and am having a hard time.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I think the problem is that many people try to play Mana games as if they were Zelda, and they're not.
So, just deal with it. The game was designed like that and unless you get some really skilled people willing to spend their time changing the whole game, you'll have to content.

tenkai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is it really that hard to change the battle system? because a couple of posts back said its not that complicated. Also you should explain why its so hard to do instead of just saying "its hard because you have to change the whole code". explain why changing the whole code is hard because I'm just a beginner and I want to get better at it. I mean telling me to just to "play the game as is it" isn't really helping me out with my problem, not trying to sound like a jerk or anything I just want help in some hacking thats all.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not being a jerk. I am giving you the proper answer. People have already given you the answer you're looking for -- you HAVE to do research. We have not looked at the game's code; and we won't because if we do we might as well just do it ourselves (which we won't, we would rather play the game the way it was meant to be).

If you want resources on how to rom hack, you can start at

http://www.romhacking.net/links/

http://www.romhacking.net/docs/68/

THAT site has most things you'll be able to start out with. Note that SNES is EXTREMELY complicated programming, akin to that of the GBA. It's not an easy task to manipulate SNES game's functions. If you have no experience in programming get ready for hell.

tenkai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok Schlupi I'll check those sites out. Also yeah I'm a beginner at this but I'll still try. thanks for the sites.

tenkai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You weren't kidding Schlupi. This is very hard..I don't even know where to begin lol. I guess i just got to take my time.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As I said too, download Zsnes emulator, load and launch the game.
Play with it a little, get a save point, etc.

Now :

1- While you can run, hit escape to go to the Emulator menu, select the Cheat menu, select search, and select "start" (or something like that, saying that you want to start the search engine with current values).

2- back to the game, continue to play a little, try to go everywhere, in house, in field, in caves, etc.

3- for each place you visit, hit escape to go back to emulator menu.
In the cheat engine select "comparative" and now is the important part :

If you can run : select "=" or "same" (stating that you currently are in a state identical to the beginning of your search)
if you can't run(while in battle) : select "=/=" or "different" (stating that the current value is different to the one placed in memory when you started the search engine)

Continue doing all those search, the emulator will compare each memory value everytime you select identical or different and will show you a list of possible memory address you can change and "freeze".

For example 7F051001

Go to cheat menu, select "Add" and type this code (memory address), with ending digit with 00, 01 or 02 etc.
each value may mean something different, 00 could be for running, 01 for walking.
or 32 for running, 2B for walking etc.

You should try to start with something easier like Infinite HP, so you get used to the cheat searching engine.
in digit search, type the current HP value instead of "same/different" search type.

Edit:
I don't remember if the "compared" value is always compared with the first starting value, or if it's with the previous state.
just try yourself to find the correct way of using the search engine
wink.gif

tenkai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh! ok now im getting at what your saying cyan and what you meant by look at the values and try to make them as close as possible. Thank you so much for the information cyan!
laugh.gif
and also yes this is my first time using the cheat search on zsnes.

Cyan I'm starting to get used to the cheat search but I don't quite get how you do the Infinite hp code. Also do you have to use that certain memory code 7F051001 in order to change the secret of mana 2 game?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Please, edit your post instead of posting many time if nobody posted after you.
don't make multiple post.

The memory address I gave is completely random, don't use that one.

For the HP, it's not really infinite HP but more a "fixed HP value".
Imagine the max HP is 255.
In hexadecimal, 255 is represented with "FF"

when you find the memory address wich is used to store the character's HP, you may find something like 45d1ef5a
this address contains two things :
- the position where the HP information is located : 45d1ef
- the amount of HP your character currently has : 5a (in hexadecimal, which is equal to 90HP in game)

When you add this code in the cheat menu of Zsnes, you will be prompt for the code and a description.
write the code like 45d1efFF and your character will ALWAYS have 255 HP.
and set a description like 256HP.

If you are searching for a value which is comprise from 0 and 256, you will have to select 1 byte on the start search.
2 byte if the possible values are up to 65535 (they are rarely more).

Note: the address memory (code) I gave is a random one I just created, don't use it.

Edit:
I just did it for Seiken 3:
- I played with Duran
- I start search the engine with "1 byte", with "exact value" search, and enter "45" (the current HP I had after some fight was 45/88). It says "go back to the game" so hit escape to go back to the game.
- I win the fight, watch the cut-scene, and now the HP is back to full 88/88, so I go to search engine and enter 88, click on Search button
- the search engine says "# of result 1" it means it found the exact and only one memory address which had 45 the first time, and 88 this time, so it should be the one for the HP.
- Click "view" to see the found address, you will see the Address (7FEDF2)| current value (88) | previous value (45)
- select the line and click Add, it will ask you for a new value, enter 255
- enter a comment (for example "255HP")
- accept and you will see a new screen with a list of all actual codes (only one for the moment), double click a code line to switch enable/disable at any moment in the game.
- go back to the game, your main character will always have 255 HP.
Note, the character can have 255HP, but the counter may show a different value, real HP and shown counter can be on different memory address, or there may be in-game check to prevent HP to be bigger that the MAX HP (88), so you could also need to change the MAX HP : You will need to win levels to make a search wih different MaxHP.

7FEDF2 is a good address, you can use it for infinite HP in Seiken Densetsu Japanese clean ROM. (not the translated one).

tenkai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan how do you find the memory address for the game because that's one of the things I don't get. I'm sorry if I'm asking you alot of questions its just that its hard for me. Thank you for answering all my questions so far. P.S- How do you edit your post?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse