SEGA's Mega Drive/Genesis Mini will release worldwide this fall

855QVHV.png

Since its delay last year, we haven't heard much of SEGA's upcoming miniature sized version of the Mega Drive/Genesis. Thanks to SEGA Fes 2019, we now have a better idea of what exactly the Genesis Mini will entail. On September 19th, the system will release worldwide, bundled with 40 different games that will vary depending on region. As the event took place in Japan, SEGA revealed the first ten titles in the lineup for eastern fans:

• Sonic 2
  • Puyo Puyo 2
  • Shining Force
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Powerball
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Comix Zone
  • Rent a Hero
  • Space Harrier II
  • Madou Monogatari I
The small console will either look like a Genesis or Mega Drive, and comes with a single controller and the aforementioned 40 games for about $60.00. If you want a second controller, you'll be able to get a package that offers all the previously mentioned items, and an additional gamepad for $80.00. M2, known for their Sega Ages collection, or alternatively, the 3D Classics Sega games on the Nintendo 3DS, will be developing the system software and handling the porting.

:arrow: Source

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
just use a phoebe or a rhea. Best thing i ever bought
to play the 3 games that are worth it?? no thanks
emulation is the way to go in this case. and IIRC emulation also gets rid of the horrible mesh transparency of the saturn and replace it with proper transparency.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
And requires a helluva powerful CPU to run it. These are Android/ARM consoles, good luck finding a good ARM CPU that can run Saturn well.
don't you have a pc??
jokes aside, I was able to play saturn on my previous phone (xperia z3 compact) with yabause no problem, keio 2 at least ran flawlessly. so the hardware exist, but isn't as cheap to mass produce easily.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't you have a pc??
jokes aside, I was able to play saturn on my previous phone (xperia z3 compact) with yabause no problem, keio 2 at least ran flawlessly. so the hardware exist, but isn't as cheap to mass produce easily.

And what makes you think they would use a high-end ARM CPU in a clone console? These things are made on the cheap, it'll never happen.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
And what makes you think they would use a high-end ARM CPU in a clone console? These things are made on the cheap, it'll never happen.
I wouldn't bet on it... Saturn emulation is improving rather quickly it seems..

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
and why you repeat what I already said?
also, don't move the goal post. the point was if saturn emulation was good enough or not, not if someone will make a saturn clone console based on an emulator for cheap.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
to play the 3 games that are worth it?? no thanks
emulation is the way to go in this case. and IIRC emulation also gets rid of the horrible mesh transparency of the saturn and replace it with proper transparency.
Eum what are you talking about, Saturn has a shitload of good games. It's my fav system of all time

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
well its being done by M2, not atgames, so probably be worth dismissing any past experiences with mini mega drive consoles

One portable model wasn't that bad but you had to hack it to fix the audio. And why bother when you could run Genesis games on your PSP?

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Eum what are you talking about, Saturn has a shitload of good games. It's my fav system of all time
at this point in time a vast majority of the saturn library is also available somewhere else.
the only games that are stuck in the system are visual novels or obscure rpg's that have no translation and thus unplayable for majority of the people.
the other part of the library that isn't somewhere else and in a understandable language can be emulated no problem.

now don't misunderstand me, is not that I hate the saturn or anything, but how are things now, it's better to just emulate it unless you absolutely want the authentic saturn experience at all cost.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One portable model wasn't that bad but you had to hack it to fix the audio. And why bother when you could run Genesis games on your PSP?

Maybe people want to play Genesis/Mega Drive games on their TV, you know, like what most people want to do? And besides, the PSP Genesis emulator isn't even as accurate as M2's emulators, so yeah. You
shouldn't have to mod a console to get it to work properly, that's just bullshit.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Maybe people want to play Genesis/Mega Drive games on their TV, you know, like what most people want to do? And besides, the PSP Genesis emulator isn't even as accurate as M2's emulators, so yeah. You
shouldn't have to mod a console to get it to work properly, that's just bullshit.

Sonic games run pretty well in shitty emulators and yes I know that from experience.

Is games like Shinning Force that need accurate emulators.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
the genesis is a different story, everyone and their dog mod their genesis to change something of it, no matter the model, so a single mod to fix something is like the standard procedure.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
at this point in time a vast majority of the saturn library is also available somewhere else.
the only games that are stuck in the system are visual novels or obscure rpg's that have no translation and thus unplayable for majority of the people.
the other part of the library that isn't somewhere else and in a understandable language can be emulated no problem.

now don't misunderstand me, is not that I hate the saturn or anything, but how are things now, it's better to just emulate it unless you absolutely want the authentic saturn experience at all cost.
I don't emulate tho, have a vast majority of games over the 2000 and almost every system that there is. I hacked all my systems so that i can swap on the go and use it in a better way without having to swap a disc constantly but to me hardware is the way to go. I used to emulate in the day but what ended up when i emulated is that i never finished those games but when playing on original hardware it does give you an extra feeling that makes you finish all those games you own and play. Can't explain it but i enjoy it a lot more than emulating

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I don't emulate tho, have a vast majority of games over the 2000 and almost every system that there is. I hacked all my systems so that i can swap on the go and use it in a better way without having to swap a disc constantly but to me hardware is the way to go. I used to emulate in the day but what ended up when i emulated is that i never finished those games but when playing on original hardware it does give you an extra feeling that makes you finish all those games you own and play. Can't explain it but i enjoy it a lot more than emulating
to each their own.
I emulate on a raspi plugged to a crt tv, so it looks just like original hardware. it is more enjoyable that way, but I have no problem playing on a different screen or pc.

Reactions: kumikochan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on