Sega Wants To Focus on Releasing Higher-Quality Games

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by War, Apr 16, 2009.

Apr 16, 2009
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    [​IMG]

"Last year Sega had an eclectic blend of releases in Japan. They were the only company with a camera powered Nintendo DS beauty simulator and a music game starring a butt-biting bug. Times have changed. Sega is adapting.

This year Sega will publish less games, but they ones that come out are, considered by them, to be higher quality. Games in their 2009 lineup include Bayonetta, Puyo Puyo 7, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva, Infinite Space, End of Eternity, and Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. I know Sonic’s RPG is old hat for us, but it will be new when it comes out in Japan this September.

From the rough list it looks like Sega is skipping licensed games. They are still working on some, Bleach DS 4th: Flame Bringer, the Hatsune Miku game, and another Haruhi game come to mind, but not as many as 2008.

How will this change affect us? Not much this year since last year’s games like Phantasy Star Zero are still trickling in. However, there could be less games from Sega in 2010. Well, maybe. We wouldn’t get many of Sega Japan’s licensed games anyway."

Source

2. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    So does that mean no new sonic this year? lol

3. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    So they admit it! They were releasing crap on purpose!

4. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Let's hope it pays off for them.
    And with MadWorld and HoTD Overkill they took a step in the right direction.

5. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    it's funny they said it becuz as rayder said, they admit they weren't doing their best...
    now Square, they are really pushing things on the DS, see FFCC, VP : CoP and so on

6. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Well fuck them [​IMG]! I knew their potential was slipping away ever since they rush more than two Sonic games under 6 months apart excluding the spin-offs! The reason why they are saying this crap now is because they notice that the games they are publishing are way better than the their actual games.

MadWorld wasn't develop by SEGA; it was developed by PlatinumGames.
    The Conduit wasn't develop by SEGA; it's develope by High Voltage Software
    Bayonetta wasn't develop by SEGA; it's develope by PlatinumGames.

Now look at all those three games; SEGA is only publishing them. They put no goddamn effort into making those games!! Yet they get some of the profit of publishing them. I hope they are happy being a sale-out!

7. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    This man is totally right. Sega gets all the props for those great game when they aren't producing anything at the same calibur.

8. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Did they just call Sonic Chronicles a "quality title"?

Really?

REALLY?

It wasn't even made by Sonic Team or Sega, it was made by Bioware. :|

9. Canonbeat234

Japan
    Exactly my point, what does SEGA know about releasing a 'high-quality' game that they develop and publish?
    Sonic Chronicles was really a kick to my face, the ending IMO was the worse one that Bioware can give.

SEGA can only make a high-quality game when they take their time making it. Sonic Unleashed could of been better but they did put effort inside the game.

I have played Sonic 06 that game has no plot whatsoever!
    Sonic Unleashed is decent so far, the adventure fields does lack that since of adventure.
    I hadn't played Sonic and the Black Knights, I did played Sonic Secret Rings which to my surprised was decent.

10. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    God damn it, stop hotlinking images from Siliconera, they block hotlinking so all everyone else sees is this.

11. Zaraf

Member Zaraf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Sonic needs to go back to his 2D roots and come back in a game similar to the way the New Super Mario Bros was....3D world on a 2D plane.

12. Canonbeat234

Japan
    That's not going to work; what SEGA needs to do is stop making Sonic games for a while.

13. kiba93

Newcomer kiba93 Member

France
    they should have associated with namco instead of sammy [​IMG] (for my opinion)

and yes a remake of sonic 1,2,3 and knuckles can give sonic a new image

or even stop making those olympics games and give us a real cross over between mario's and sonic's world like an action/adventure game or something

14. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    The problem with this is that Nintendo probably doesn't want to taint the Mario franchise by getting involved in what would inevitably be a kind of half-assed, crappy Sega platformer.

15. kiba93

Newcomer kiba93 Member

France
    better let nintendo do all the work because

wii ign test
    super mario galaxy: 9.7
    sonic unleashed: 7.2

16. Canonbeat234

Japan
    Exactly! A crossover platformer with Mario and Sonic is never going to happen because SEGA got to prove that they can give Sonic a high-quality game that shows effort and passion. This happening is very slim.

I must go into detail about this a little bit more further. You see when Yugi Naka left from SEGA in 2006, yes before Sonic 06 was released. That's when everything started going downhill. SEGA has no organization whatsoever which is the reason why most games coming out from them are mediocre or subpar at best. However, most of the Sonic games are coming out from the Developers in Japan. As you can see Sonic Unleashed was released in November 2008 while Sonic and the Black Knights was released last month. In order for SEGA to make a higher-quality game they need to understand that they can't release a freakin Sonic game every 1 to 2 years. Mario Galaxy wasn't release doing the Wii launch it was release like a year later but it was in development since in 2003.

SEGA got a long way to go before they can even type bullshit about higher-quality games; they need to understand that they are the ones that has to develop and publish them. Not only PUBLISH them like they did all the work. SEGA should settle for high-quality games instead of higher-quality; because inside their mind they think higher-quality is good while it can be only high-quality to us. If they want to step into a right direction, they should make a prequel of Sonic Unleashed without the werehog!

17. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    if I hotlink, it will make you want to visit the source so you can see what the image is :3

18. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Finally. I'm guessing we all hated the games they have been releasing, I was extremely disappointed with Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Unleashed, i really can't remember the last Sega game i have enjoyed.

19. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    I'm disappointed..
    Nobody mentioned Valkyria Chronicles?
    AFAIK, it IS developed by Sega, and it's most probably THE best JRPG so far this gen.

20. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood considered a higher quality game?. What a laugh! The game is so horrible.