SEGA To Release More Wii "Core" Titles

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Aug 12, 2009.

Aug 12, 2009
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/08/mike-hayes-interview/

Still dunno if I like seperating games into "hardcore" and "casual". To me a game is a game anyway this is pleasing news. Most companies like THQ have abandoned making so called "core" games due to sales so its good that SEGA aren't being put off because of sales, they're actually looking into why a game didn't sell instead of jumping to assumptions.

Madworld 2 with a huge melee online mode please...or just Panzer Dragoon Saga 2, whatever just give us good stuff and lay off the "storytale" Sonic titles. [​IMG]

2. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Well, I think the main reason why The Conduit sold so much better is because it got a T rating as opposed to an M rating. Games with a T rating tend to sell better, especially on the Wii, considering its generally targeted demographic.

3. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I think it is great, that they at least publish good games on Wii... But developing is an other thing. Sadly nearly all the good and creative people left SEGA at some point [​IMG]

[​IMG] AM2 and Team Andromeda [​IMG]

300.000 unites of The Conduit=absolute success!!!

4. Eternal Myst

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    Don't give me a new sonic, with his new powers, and his new friends. I will commit suicide.

5. mario5555

mario5555 Newbie

It's nice (Sarcasm) to see Sega as a publisher and developer doesn't care about making money anymore.

Someone answer me why they always seem to support the system that isn't the obvious choice and better fit for their games.

They killed the DC to support the Xbox, which was being killed by the PS2 then still supported due to misguided loyalty (and big bags 'O $$$) from Microsoft.

Then they release a small smattering of stuff for PS2 and GC, that sold better than their Xbox fair.

Then we move onto this gen and they decided not to support MS or Sony that much, but instead to support the Wii, a system (mostly) for casual players (case in point all the Wii fitness titles, and party type games that sell extremely well on the system) or non-gamers as I like to call'em.

So they end of wasting Grasshopper, Platinum and High Voltage's time and talents developing for a platform that won't return as much financially as they would want it to because of all the mature gamers (I won't call them hardcore or core, as I don't use fad labels just because they are in vogue) own either a 360 or PS3.

Its just a wonder all of these companies don't wake up and understand this for themselves that if you are going to develop content for older audiences, then why not make the bloody game for the systems that a majority of that demographic own to begin with.

Makes me wonder why they cannot understand this themselves???

It seems like almost all high quality 3rd party titles that aren't some fad game or another get totally ignored by the Wii masses. No More Heroes...tanked. Madworld...tanked. Klonoa...tanked. Zack and Wiki...tanked. The Conduit...sold decent, but not to expectations even with hype.

Those are just a few examples, even bigger name games like the RE ports, Okami, and others that even given a second chance with a bigger audience didn't do awesomely (I don't know the sales figures for the RE games on the Wii) but failed to even show that most regular (Not game enthusiasts) have a clue about quality games and then don't support them on the world's top selling game system at the moment.

And that is what really confuses me, do these people have no taste, or are they really that clueless to begin with.

6. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Wonder if this has anything to do with that new Sega RPG website that appeared. It'd be awesome if it were Phantasy Star for the Wii.

7. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Yeah since PSZ was a big hit on the DS, a Wii version would sell like hotcakes and be just as good if even better. A Wii PS is the best move on Sega's part and they need to make sure it has Wi-Fi like Zero.

8. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Yeah, that's what I thought to. Except without the friend codes. It will help Sega a lot on there part cause even over here, Phantasy Star is popular (I believe it's more so then Monster Hunter.) And that teaser site is pointing towards a Phantasy Star game but its most likely going to be PSP2 but who knows what will happen, its Sega.

9. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    My sentiments exactly. But it really seems like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole bringing "core" (translation: mature) games to Wii. Some might get it to fit, but for the most part, Wii isn't the platform for it -- not if you're looking to sell well, anyway.

Either way, they should change the terms from "core" and "casual" to something a little more accurate. Perhaps "horny guys with no lives" and "people with jobs." Not sure how well that would go over from a PR standpoint, but it would be closer to the mark for sure.

10. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    From with I know about SEGA's motives, I finally glad that CEO left SEGA; the one that admires the I phone instead of the corporation itself. So far SEGA's new quota is staying true however, I want to see them develop a game on their own.

11. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Ah, ole good SEGA...

PDS2 would be AWESOME! but wouldn't complain if a new Phantasy Star Online came out.

12. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    What if I have a job, and I'm a horny guy with no life?

13. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States

Well, then you're me. [​IMG]

14. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    I guess Sega have already worked that one out.

15. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    they want to work on a bigger platform with more options and wii is not a bad choice still not the best but they have stick with nintendo

16. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    Madworld is just like * no more heros * but with less to do, that's why its sale are crappy they all the beat em up fans went out and got the original, and not the monochrome rehash.

17. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    You say that as if it's a bad thing, I don't remember having to mow lawns and collect coconuts in Madworld.

18. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    You even played both?

For me Madworld is more fighting and fatalities.

19. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    MadWorld and No More Heroes are completely different in so many aspects. MadWorld is hack and slash and beamup, while No More Heroes is hack and slash as well as open world. Also, you may want to consider using periods to make you sound less stupid, although then you wouldn't be showing your true colors.

20. pizzaman2893

Member pizzaman2893 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    dude I completely agree. sonic used to be the shit but all the new ones just suck. I think they need to do what capcom did like when they made megaman 9 if they make a new sonic game. Make old classic looking, plain and simple.