Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From 1up:

"Hope you liked Sonic and the Secret Rings, as Sega president Simon Jeffery told Newsweek the Wii game was one of the company's first steps towards reinventing what the world perceives as Sonic. Even though Sonic the Hedgehog appears to have performed well commercially for the company, they seem to have recognized the 3D adventures in recent years haven't done much for the core fans.

"We are actually undergoing a fairly considerable refresh of Sonic as an intellectual property, as a character," said Jeffery.

And what this means for Sonic and friends is a break. "We're not going to be bringing another game out on the other platforms for quite some time, because we feel that it is time to reinvent Sonic, to make Sonic contemporary again. At the same time, even the recent 360 and Playstation 3 games have sold extremely well. Sonic is still an extremely endearing character; there's still a lot of love for Sonic out there in consumerland."

Sonic's already a part of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, so the blue hedgehog isn't exactly going anywhere, but it might be a little while before he's headlining another platforming adventure. Maybe this time he'll finally leave his sidekicks behind. "

This is a good idea for Sega, though I liked Secret Rings, and it was the best 3D Sonic it was still a bit of a let down. Sonic 3D titles always seem to be boring, have horrible camera angles and the worst terrible nu-metal rock soundtrack. They have ran out of ideas really and always seem rushly put together. So here's hoping Sega stick to what they've said and give he guy a rest until something fresh can come about

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
interesting Sega... hopefully this means they will be more willing to let sonic and friends appear in other 3rd party games liek smash bros, mario kart etc etc

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dunno. Sonic has been "reinvented" too many times, which is part of the problem.

And, hey, some of the music from the Sonic games is good. Big the Cat's song is awesome.
smile.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really hope they go back to 2D gameplay, just imagine if they recreated the first sonic game with beautiful 3d graphics of this gen
Love if they just stuck to 2D, but I hope that they wont be just games where you basically press right and the jump button all the way through the game, though I enjoyed Sonic Rush all I seemed to do is go one direction and jump a lot, the original Sonic game was a bit more than that.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
they should start making high quality games instead of "reinventing" the Sonic concept...
I saw nothing wrong with Sonic and the Secret Rings, until I played it...the controls are AWFUL, the leveldesign is plain, the gameplay is repetitive, the music is boring, and even after 9 years of 3D Sonic games, there are still problems with the camera (and that's in a game in which the camera follows a pre-defined path)...
for me, it's clearly the worst Sonic game I've ever played (and I've played all of them except for Sonic R and Sonic Riders)

there's nothing wrong with the concept..it's the execution that makes it a bad game

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The last best sonic game was sonic rush on the DS. I would go as far to say it was the best sonic game yet. Worked really well on the DS. The only 3D ones that have worked are the sonic adventures released on the Dreamcast and then again on the Gamecube. The new 3D ones like Sonic Heroes, Sonic Riders, Shadow the Hedgehog and so on just do not work.

I'm glad sega has decided to take a break as its slowly killy sonic. Maybe they could also come up with a few original ideas like they used to in the days of the dreamcast. Instead of relying on the old faithfuls like monkey ball, virtual tennis etc....

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they should start making high quality games instead of "reinventing" the Sonic concept...
I saw nothing wrong with Sonic and the Secret Rings, until I played it...the controls are AWFUL, the leveldesign is plain, the gameplay is repetitive, the music is boring, and even after 9 years of 3D Sonic games, there are still problems with the camera (and that's in a game in which the camera follows a pre-defined path)...
for me, it's clearly the worst Sonic game I've ever played (and I've played all of them except for Sonic R and Sonic Riders)

there's nothing wrong with the concept..it's the execution that makes it a bad game
It pisses on Sonic The Hedghog 360, that game was dreadful.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The

It pisses on Sonic The Hedghog 360, that game was dreadful.
but then again, even Sonic Heroes pisses on The Secret Rings
nyanya.gif

even with good controls it would be below-average IMO

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IMO, Sonic 3 (Genesis/Mega Drive) is the best sonic so far: beautiful, good playability, fantastic music and you can transform into a superhero. Oh, and Knuckles was still cool!
After that, everything started going down and now sonic games are just beautiful games (loaded with kawaii pets like that pink rabbit and that other rabbit and that chao who does absolutly nothing) and basically you run, jump and then die.
I ave to say that I'm happy it's taking a hiatus. When he comes back I hope it's only the main trio (Sonic, Knuckles and Tails) and the game is playable and fast again.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO, Sonic 3 (Genesis/Mega Drive) is the best sonic so far: beautiful, good playability, fantastic music and you can transform into a superhero. Oh, and Knuckles was still cool!
After that, everything started going down and now sonic games are just beautiful games (loaded with kawaii pets like that pink rabbit and that other rabbit and that chao who does absolutly nothing) and basically you run, jump and then die.
I ave to say that I'm happy it's taking a hiatus. When he comes back I hope it's only the main trio (Sonic, Knuckles and Tails) and the game is playable and fast again.
I thought Sonic Advance was very good, but the sequels were seemed to be rushed. Sonic Pocket Adventure is the best for me, though it is Sonic 2 it adds a lot to the game and just plays so well on the NGPC.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't get it. With the hardware we have now-a-days 2d platformers could be ridiculously awesome. It seems to me we've hit a barrier in 3d gaming. It used to be "It's Mario, but in 3D!" "It's Sonic, but in 3D!" Now it's just another crappy 3D game that some poor washed up developers threw together at the last moment, sorta like the final 2D games on our 16-bit friends.

The video game industry needs a huge boost of creativity, and fast, because it's heading down a steep slope.

Which is why I put so much faith in the Wii. It's a new way to play, a whole new experience. But sadly, it's turning out to be just like the rest of the "next gen" consoles, except for PS3 and 360 you press "X" or "A" and on the Wii you just sorta wiggle arround.

The reason I own every Nintendo console is because of the first party games associated with them. Sony Entertainment and Microsoft Studios can hardly put a dent in the creativity and overall perfection of a Nintendo game. But why? Why can't developers create anymore? Why must they copy? EA used to be an awesome publisher, on the Sega Genesis there were soo many good EA games. Now when I see "EA" on the boxart, I know to steer clear.

Sadly, when I see our poor blue pal Sonic on a box, I steer clear as well. Hopefully someone will help out this poor guy, and hopefully kill off his 37 new friend robots and cats and whatever the hell else Sonic Team's come up with to take the blame off Sonic for the game sucking balls.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't get it. With the hardware we have now-a-days 2d platformers could be ridiculously awesome. It seems to me we've hit a barrier in 3d gaming. It used to be "It's Mario, but in 3D!" "It's Sonic, but in 3D!" Now it's just another crappy 3D game that some poor washed up developers threw together at the last moment, sorta like the final 2D games on our 16-bit friends.

The video game industry needs a huge boost of creativity, and fast, because it's heading down a steep slope.

Which is why I put so much faith in the Wii. It's a new way to play, a whole new experience. But sadly, it's turning out to be just like the rest of the "next gen" consoles, except for PS3 and 360 you press "X" or "A" and on the Wii you just sorta wiggle arround.

The reason I own every Nintendo console is because of the first party games associated with them. Sony Entertainment and Microsoft Studios can hardly put a dent in the creativity and overall perfection of a Nintendo game. But why? Why can't developers create anymore? Why must they copy? EA used to be an awesome publisher, on the Sega Genesis there were soo many good EA games. Now when I see "EA" on the boxart, I know to steer clear.

Sadly, when I see our poor blue pal Sonic on a box, I steer clear as well. Hopefully someone will help out this poor guy, and hopefully kill off his 37 new friend robots and cats and whatever the hell else Sonic Team's come up with to take the blame off Sonic for the game sucking balls.
Totally agree, after seeing DK Jungle on GC and LittleBigPlanet on PS3 I can't see why people carry on doing 2D games, Sonic is a big name and will sell loads no matter if its in 3D or 2D, infact a 2D style game but in 3D would shift more as us who love the 2D ones would be more interested.

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only way to do this is to make a game with only sonic in it and get rid of his stupid ass friends. tails is alright, but the rest? get rid of them. the 360 Sonic is a travesty. I was embarassed playing it.

DownwardSpyral

The Fastest Thing Alive
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I call this total BS. The same day they claim they are reinventing the franchise, they announce an Olympic Game starring Mario and Sonic. A week ago Sega secured the name Sonic Rush Adventure for a future title and released screenshots. What exactly are they reinventing here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all