1. Boesy

OP Boesy GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    These are two of my favorite consoles and pretty underrated, imo. It seems like SEGA was incapable of keeping Saturn and Dreamcast alive, and so they had horrible fates.

Even today, SEGA has a lot of fantastic IPs, but all they ever release are SONIC games. :(

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    The Saturn went to shit for a few different reasons, but mainly because it was a really annoying console to develop for vs the alternatives. The hardware was unnecessarily complex vs the competition, so third party devs were less inclined to port games to it vs the PS1/N64, which resulted in few note worthy titles making it to the Saturn which resulted in sales over it's lifetime. It also didn't help that it was like $400 at launch, vs the PS1's $299/N64's $199 launch prices.

The DreamCast failed purely because Sega jumped the gun way fucking early on releasing it, and then jumped the gun way fucking early on dumping it in the trash. The hardware was much weaker than the PS2/GC/Xbox, they had shit all for third party titles at the time, and their brand name was already basically in the gutter with their failures from the 32x and on. I believe if Sega had spent a bit more time and money on developing the hardware and actually cooperated with third parties a bit more, the Dreamcast would've blown at the very least the Xbox and GC out of the water.

Which is a real shame, there are a lot of titles on both systems that were excellent games at the time. Panzer Dragoon Saga will always be my favorite "early" 3D RPG from that era, I bought an entire Saturn and chipped it just so I could play it again without issues.

Boesy likes this.
  3. chocoboss

chocoboss GBAtemp Fan

France
    Dreamcast:wub:

[​IMG]
    It was powerfull, with online games. Here in France commercial was really bad + PS2 :cry:

Last edited by chocoboss, Feb 26, 2020
    Boesy and alexander1970 like this.
  4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    If you're really interested, I can suggest the book "Console wars". Front and center is sega's rise and fall under Tom Kalinske.

If I have to summarize the situation (which I can only assume reflects the events correctly), it's that sega of Japan and sega of USA had two very different approaches in mind. Japan was first, USA was better (probably subjective narrative by the authors, but ey...it at least explains the situation) and...that relationship didn't work so well. Bureaucratism, undercutting ideas, altering of ideas...though nintendo certainly wasn't absent in the book (nor sony, for that matter), the situation in sega seemed more like a series of intern clashes than something that their audience had any say in.

Boesy and alexander1970 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - tragically, Dreamcast, amazing