Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ArcadiaDC.png
Turns out recently Sega have renewed the rights to there Dreamcast and Gamecube RPG Skies of Arcadia. Making its debut on the DC 12 years ago many fans have asked for a sequel but has often been turned down, with Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure 2 and Nights Into Dreams getting a HD paintjob later in the year it could be a safe bet SOA will join there ranks....or maybe get a smart phone spin off game of sorts​
source-maxconsole

I would be happy enough with a HD version with the sound quality of the DC version and the extra content of the GC version but as this is the real world this is probably some cock tease to a iphone game

Staff edit- trademarks are one of the big three intellectual property types along with copyright and patents (depending where you are in the world there are a few others as well). You are not automatically granted a trademark (you have to apply) and you have to maintain it every few years (at a token cost to you) among other things. Where copyright applies to singular works or aspects of them (art, music...) trademarks mean nobody is allowed to make anything that could be confused with your product and as it takes effort to get them most companies will renew them when the time comes around rather than letting them lapse. If a new trademark is filed for it often a source of news but renewals are not such a big deal most of the time.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it came to HD updates, I was afraid that Skies' was the limit. It looks like I may have been wrong after all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rather embarrassingly I do not know offhand how much it is to renew a trademark (a trivial sum to Sega though) but I doubt they would let that one slip through their fingers. By all means carry on the discussion but know this is not the same as a leaked ESRB rating, domain registration or other such niceties we usually get prior to proper news.

If it does come back with a XBLA/PSN touchup as many DC alumni have before it (often quite good ones too) or even a portable version then I am good with that- it had some interesting ideas hardly seen before it and rarely since to say nothing of it ageing far better than many other post 16 bit RPG type games (looking at you legend of dragoon). Seeing a few collectors whine that their "investment" is worth less than it was would just be icing on the cake- I know when I checked the other year to see what prices it went for second hand I was shocked.

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there are a couple of alternatives for "HD job," if you think about HD as an abbreviation for certain, other four-letter words.

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Either way - it's brought it back in the minds of those who played it.

I hope it's a HD port - the music alone would be severely degraded if it was ported to handhelds (SoA Legends is proof of how the music quality suffered on the Gamecube)

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sequel or HD port would be lovely. It makes me wonder if like jetset we will see it on vita as well if an HD port happens. Would certainly welcome it.

Clarky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'd like a version that had faster battles. I never beat it on the DC because with the encounter rate so high and battles taking so long, I got too annoyed to keep playing right before the last area. Then my DC broke...

Shine up some textures etc, slap HD in the title, profit
Don't forget to subsurf the models!

Though in reality they'll need to be subsurfed with some control points, so a little hand-work will be needed instead of running each model through a script, but that's trivial compared to the work artists need to do to recreate textures.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like a version that had faster battles. I never beat it on the DC because with the encounter rate so high and battles taking so long, I got too annoyed to keep playing right before the last area. Then my DC broke...

Though in reality they'll need to be subsurfed with some control points, so a little hand-work will be needed instead of running each model through a script, but that's trivial compared to the work artists need to do to recreate textures.

Can't you just pop the top on the dreamcast and not have to worry about battles?

Clarky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Can't you just pop the top on the dreamcast and not have to worry about battles?

Its been so long since I had my dc on but I'm pretty certain when the case was open on the DC during gameplay it would reset the console, don't quote me for accuracy though

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I really liked this game, dunno why but for some reason I never got to beat it although I was pretty close to the end... Well, I hope they do something interesting with this, it could always be a sequel too. =O

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Well I had the same problem as others on the DC; the length and random encounter rate are so high, plus the loading times and the same pre-battle animation and music over and over again. This really turned me off halfway through the game.
I still have my DC right here (it is disconnected though) and the save file somewhere as well, but still I'd rather had less and shorter battles.

I assume that the the version with the faster battles that you speak of was the GC Legends? If so I might be tempted to get the GC version and start it over on my Wii.
Just exactly how much more enjoyable is the GC version compared to the DC version, not counting the music downgrading ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night