SEGA publishes business plans, intends to revive older IPs

image.jpeg

Another end of the fiscal year has come and gone, and with it come plans for game companies to improve upon themselves. SEGA is no different, as they have published a document detailing some of their plans in a "Road to 2020" business presentation. An interesting thing to note is that SEGA's profits have increased, and have almost fully recovered, after two years of decline. (FY 2015, 2016) SEGA's gaming branch main goals are also stated: create titles that aren't just a hit in Japan, but worldwide as well, trying to revive popular older intellectual properties, and focusing on the sizeable and ever-growing western PC market. This report comes directly after announcements of Steam ports of two popular SEGA-published games, Bayonetta and Vanquish, both reaching Steam's top sellers list. Which IPs the Japanese company intends to revive are unknown, but keep your eyes out for more news on the matter.

• Expand existing IPs and obtain new IPs for North American and European PC games
  • Build revenue base by being entrusted with outsourced development
  • Challenge for new IPs
  • Revival of major IPs
  • Effective utilization of development engines

:arrow: Source

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want sega to get the license for vays again and rerelease it with updated anime style cutseens. Or better yet a sequel....no the japan only ios version doesn't count. It was done by another company plus it had shitty controls...cause you know, it was on a phone! No no no! Sega get the license back and put in on the xb ps and ns

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Co-produced, Sega has SOME possible holding over it, othewise, it wouldn't be on 3DS or steam. Even on steam it says SEGA, and bubsy doesn't make sense to me so ummm there is that. :ninja:

Why is like things like this, is like they always put Japan first before anything else, I'm not just talking about games and their release dates, I mean they seem to be survey Japan region for location focus testing than others, is always more prominent than other areas, especially fighting games, is as if Japan don't want it, then they don't make it, even if the rest of the world wants it. :huh:
Because they're a Japanese company - it's not just Sega that does this. I think it's probably a cultural thing, they just let the regional branches handle everything.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To add on, SEGA JP took a poll last year, asking fans which series they'd like to see return. Results were:

1. Sakura Wars (2457)
  2. Jet Set Radio (1485)
  3. Virtual On (729)
  4. Shenmue (727)
  5. Virtua Fighter (581)
  6. Panzer Dragoon (538)
  7. Shining Force (518)
  8. Skies of Arcadia (483)
  9. Streets of Rage (437)
  10. NiGHTS into dreams… (261)
  11. Space Channel 4 (234)
  12. Shinobi (144)
  13. Sangokushi Taisen Trading Cards
  14. Burning Rangers (115)
  15. Fashionable Witches Love & Berry (105)
Skies of Arcadia, Shining Force, and Jet Grind PC port are what I'd like to see most of all from sega.

Please no, that game still haunts me from when I was a child. Bumping into rocks, not knowing where to go, ALIENS. Shiver.

As much as I remember this on the Genesis, this one's an accolade game, a company that was IIRC part of Atari and now dead.

Phantasy Star Online is such a huge thing in Japan, you'd think they'd want to make an old school one to capitalize on the franchise.

Gunstar was Treasure, no? Not SEGA. Also Bubsy 1 is a fun game.

I completely forgot about Sakura Wars, I really want a revival now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That is one vague statement imo.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Jet Set Radio 3, anyone?

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SEGA needs to port pretty much every Project DIVA game to a Nintendo system

Project DIVA/2nd/extend - 3DS

Project DIVA Dreamy Theater/Dreamy Theater 2nd/Dreamy Theater extend/F/F2nd - Wii U

Project DIVA X/Future Tone - Switch

and they would make a killing

Oh and a Project Mirai 3

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically you're right the series is called Jet Set Radio but the first one came to America as Jet Grind Radio. For some reason that name just stuck with me more than Jet Set Radio.
All subsequent releases here in America have been released as Jet Set Radio after the original, and now the Steam version calls it that

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All subsequent releases here in America have been released as Jet Set Radio after the original, and now the Steam version calls it that

I already said you're right what argument do you still need to continue? No need to be a douchebag I just like calling it Jet Grind Radio and you're not going to stop me. You're arguing semantics.

Find something more important in life to worry about.

Last edited by ,

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is it that any news article on this site is always behind every other website and poorly written. I don't even bother going to this sites homepage anymore, I just stick to the forums, lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning