Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gallery_177066_262_7340.jpg

After several HD re-releases of Dremcast classics like Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5, and the upcoming Jet Set Radio, Sega has teased the possibility of HD re-releases for Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia.

Shenmue was one of the more highly contested games on the system, gaining both dedicated fans and haters. Skies of Arcadia, the popular airship-featuring RPG, had a re-release on the Gamecube several years ago.

This tease comes from an interview with Sega's Associate Brand Manager, Ben Harborne. When asked about the most requested re-releases for the Dreamcast, he answered, "I can tell you what'll be: Shenmue. That, and Skies of Arcadia."

With the upcoming re-release of Jet Set Radio (aka Jet Grind Radio) and the success of other HD remasterings of popular Dreamcast titles, a rebirth of Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia seems rather possible.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: 2 people

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
With SEGA putting a lot more effort into Dreamcast HD ports than the previous releases, I can say I'm hyped for Skies of Arcadia with DLC of Legends content

arogance1

Trophies
XP
Country
What system would SoA be released on?
I'd love it to be the Wii, but it would probably be Wii U.

I loved it on the GC and can't wait to play again. It deserves a proper sequel too.

masterchan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Shenmue and Shenmue 2 were awesome back in the day but they did not age well, Sega need to rework the controls entirely if they wanted this series to sell, which is something I don't think they will do. therefore, this will get negative reviews (like Resident Evil 4 HD for PSN) and kill what's left of this great series. Shenmue City was a disaster, and Shenmue 3 will never come out. This series reminds me how great Sega were, and how bad they've become ...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have to agree with a few other people here.. Making a pure re-release with HD and without changing the possible problems be it controls or camera or whatever may lead to the software being rejected on a general level :I

Otherwise nice to see new content, regardless of quality. If the game hasn't aged well, at least you can now see it in HD :P

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
What system would SoA be released on?
XBLA, PSN & PC.
Shenmue and Shenmue 2 were awesome back in the day but they did not age well, Sega need to rework the controls entirely if they wanted this series to sell, which is something I don't think they will do. therefore, this will get negative reviews (like Resident Evil 4 HD for PSN) and kill what's left of this great series. Shenmue City was a disaster, and Shenmue 3 will never come out. This series reminds me how great Sega were, and how bad they've become ...
They've changed the controls in Jet Set Radio, rumored they've bumped it up to 60fps and included the American only levels, don't see why they won't.

Though why do people keep saying SEGA is a bad company now? SEGA is one of my best game companies out there, sure they've done some bad things like Sonic 06 and others but they've recognized their mistakes, fixed it but people still aren't happy.

If it wasn't for SEGA, I wouldn't of seen instant classics like Vanquish and Bayonetta.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I have to respectfully disagree with you, I wouldn't call either of those games great, and by the way, Sega did not make them as both games were only published by Sega.
Vanquish and Bayonetta were made in co-operation with SEGA, as well as their other titles ending with Anarchy Reigns.
Still waiting on Sonic Adventure 2 and Powerstone....
They will happen, Powerstone 1 & 2 was released on PSP :P

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I would buy Shenmue 1 & 2 HD for sure to show support for possibly finally ending the series with Shenmue 3.
All these games would be great on home consoles or Vita.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would love a remake of Skyes of Arcadia.
I went about 55 hours into it and I loved every bit of it, however the constant random battles that occurred every 30 seconds or so along with long loading times and the same repetitive music, made me loose interest before I could see the end of it.
I still have the original disc and the Dreamcast to play it along with a VGA box, but I'd rather play it on the Wii U hopefully with non-existant loading times and less random battles.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
All this article says is that he confirms that people request it the most.
Thanks for re-confirming that?
however the constant random battles that occurred every 30 seconds or so along with long loading times and the same repetitive music, made me loose interest before I could see the end of it.
All this is fixed in the Legends port :P

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sega developed Valkria Chronicles, which makes them ok with me.

aand then Sega America ditched the VC series to make several dozen HD ports for games that don't need an HD port.
Sega America can go choke and die on an HD port.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
however the constant random battles that occurred every 30 seconds or so along with long loading times and the same repetitive music, made me loose interest before I could see the end of it.
All this is fixed in the Legends port :P

Was the Legends port the one for Game Cube, or did I miss that one ? AFAIK the GC port did have faster loading times, but still the same number of random battles......
Thanks

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
All this article says is that he confirms that people request it the most.
Thanks for re-confirming that?
My concern is the title of the thread looks to be saying it's a possibility they're doing it, when all we've been told is that they acknowledge there's large number of requests for those certain games.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to respectfully disagree with you, I wouldn't call either of those games great, and by the way, Sega did not make them as both games were only published by Sega.

Then you're wrong.

My concern is the title of the thread looks to be saying it's a possibility they're doing it, when all we've been told is that they acknowledge there's large number of requests for those certain games.

He basically implied if there are any more HD remasters of Dreamcast games, next in line is Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia.

Reactions: 1 person

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Apparently SEGA has Shenmue HD I & II over and done with
Sega has been sitting on a finished version of Shenmue HD for the past year, a Gamerzines report is claiming.

It also says it has a finished version of Shenmue II HD ready to go.

The reason its held the two games back, both of which released as Dreamcast and Xbox titles respectively, was down to deciding what path the series had in the future, according to the piece.

Or to be more specific, in Gamerzines’ own words, “whether or not Shenmue III would ever see the light of day.”
http://www.vg247.com...-hd-for-a-year/

there's a reply from SEGA at the source.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I know. Nice to see new members here, aside from the ongoing spam problem.