Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sumea said:
Fun to be Finnish - we actually pronounce Japanese stuff right naturally - If you read my message and do not see millions of SEGA logo videos, enable your flash and start listening... and that is just how Finnish also would read out loud text "SEGA"

I would link the frikin' 90's Finnish commercial of "16-BIT SEGA!" (as it said) to prove my point but that would be boring.

Fun fact: Sega is not a Japanese word. The company was founded by an ex-pat American, and the title is short for "Selected Games" as they originally called themselves making pachinko machines; the chips in the machines said "SE-GA" and that's where it took off.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
moosh01 said:
Take your pick.

I voted say-gah like on the intros.
And that video I like how they slag off nintendo "Genesis does what Nintendon't" They would never get away with it nowadays lawsuits
tongue.gif

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmmm this is a deep thought here...

Say-Guh

I suppose the proper pronunciation of it would be

Suh-Gay

considering it is short for Service Games.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have never heard of "Sega" be pronounced by anyone in that way, let alone heard anything other than "say-gah" or "seh-gah" IS THIS A LIE ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ARE YOU LYING ABOUT HEARING PEOPLE PRONOUNCE SEGA ALL CRAZY ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I say it like "Say-gah", like they used to in their earlier games. Remember the guys who used to go "Seeeeeee-gaaaaa!" at the title screen?

Although I don't usually say Sega that much, most of the time I only mention it here. My friends aren't as big video game knowledge people as I am.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I use both...I don't really care which is used. But I suppose, since it's used, the officially used pronunciation is "Sey-Gah", guess that's what's right.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Seh-gah is the pronunciation of the Japanese, therefore the "correct". It's katakana is セガ, which reads SEH (like SEgment, as mentioned above) and GA (like GArden).
Americans tend to "americanize" words, like Naruto, Avatar (the last airbender) Toph, and other "japanese" names. Most probaly it's not "intentional", but a matter of "native" way of pronouncig stuff...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)