Sega Megadrive (Genesis) Flashback Mini HD with an USB on internal mother board

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you go about backing up the nand on the Flashback,you need Clockworkmod recovery to copy the whole nand don't you cos its Android and this don't have it so you can only copy parts of the system you are going to change and push it to your PC using adb..?
No. Use RKDumper or Android Tool to create a backup.
Use either one to determine the size of the nand. either 2 or 4GB

Here is copy of the info you are looking for.
MDFBREW.ORG.7z
https://mega.nz/#!Aho1CCaa!sundnuMumBV_ZoKQMULdtihWgs_il4eFWZPQKQN5LFU

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi @asper or anyone else that might now, i know this is a old post, with this i run the bat and then it will SAVE the dump in /mnt/asec/ folder in .bin format and i can pull it out the next time i hook up the falshback to my pc?
Yes You can copy it to your pc.
How do you go about backing up the nand on the Flashback,you need Clockworkmod recovery to copy the whole nand don't you cos its Android and this don't have it so you can only copy parts of the system you are going to change and push it to your PC using adb..?
Flash Dump is Made with rockchip official tools.

WarlordLex

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes You can copy it to your pc.

Flash Dump is Made with rockchip official tools.

Asper I know this is an old thread but I need some help. I've diligently followed all of your instructions but I fear I am missing something. I've got the 2017 model here in Canada that I picked up from a Walmart last week. I've successfully added Retroarch to the system using the methods described here however there seems to be a problem ith the buttons on the 2nd player controller are not being detected by retroarch. Buttons B and C arent picked up by the system at all and atleast one of the directional buttons and for some reason the start button is C. Im not sure how to fix this as the buttons mentioned wont register when I try to map them. Im no good at coding. Can you help me? Or anyone here?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Asper I know this is an old thread but I need some help. I've diligently followed all of your instructions but I fear I am missing something. I've got the 2017 model here in Canada that I picked up from a Walmart last week. I've successfully added Retroarch to the system using the methods described here however there seems to be a problem ith the buttons on the 2nd player controller are not being detected by retroarch. Buttons B and C arent picked up by the system at all and atleast one of the directional buttons and for some reason the start button is C. Im not sure how to fix this as the buttons mentioned wont register when I try to map them. Im no good at coding. Can you help me? Or anyone here?
The directional button that does not work on player 2 is D pad Right

WarlordLex

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@WarlordLex for a full explanation about the mega drive flashback buttons common problems (and solutions) please read here:

Any chance you could also point me in the correct direction to change the Region of the Flashback now that I have Retroarch Installed? I would like the Genesis logo and Genesis covers back and not the Megadrive ones. I cant find a stock dump of the north american flashback anywhere.

I tried and failed to create a kl file and adb push the file to the directory suggested. After making the file in notepad and saving it as a kl file. I adb pushed the file but the controller still behaves the same after rebooting. Maybe im doing it all wrong.

Last edited by WarlordLex,

WarlordLex

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update: Ive worked it all out. Managed to properly adb push the new controller config files provided by another member in this thread. After doing so the original front end no longer works with the controllers which is fine. My only gripe now is that i've lost all cover art using Retroarch. The system doesnt appear to have room for all 700 cover arts after uploading the games to the console nor do I know how to apply the covers to each individual game.

DoctorMike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Having trouble with the optional last bit of backing up the NAND:
"2 - OPTIONAL: Now to dump also the user partition you should do some math but this is not needed if the memory chip is the same as mine;
if, at the end of the parameter.txt you have the following values:
.....0x000C8000@0x000F2000(system),-@0x001BA000(user) it is like mine !
it means that (user) partition starts at 0x001BA000 and the "-" before the @ mens it doesn't know how big is it ! If you have a 4GB chip the "count" value
will be 0xD2C00000; to see if it is a 4GB chip click the "ReadFlashInfo button and on "Flash Size" you should read: 4256MB; if so use the above value, if
not you need to do some extra maths: using Windows Calculator set in Programmer's mode you need to add the 2 values of last partition (in our example 000C8000
and 000F2000) and subtract them form the whole size (in hexadecimal value!) of your nand chip (ex.for a 2GB chip the total number of bytes will be 80000000,
which, divided by 512 makes 400000 so you need to do: 400000 - (000C8000+000F2000) = 00400000 - 001BA000 = 246000. So for (user) partition "Start" will
be:0x001BA000 while "Count" will be 0x00246000.
3 - If you want to permanently add that value substitute, inside parameter.txt, the " - " in -@0x001BA000(user) with 0x00246000@0x001BA000 or whathever the
value is and save !"

have the 4GB NAND 2017 sega megadrive, and the maths seems out. When using 0xD2C00000 (56Gigs in decimal!!!) the last user partition is clearly wrong. Trying to work out the right count for a 4GB chip, the 2GB example above is a bit confusing, as it says divide by 512, but mixes Hex and Decimal in the process. I think that this is right:

4GB = 1 0000 0000 (hex) = 4,294,967,296
Divide by 512 = 8,388,608 or 80 0000 (hex)
Subtract 1BA000 (the agreed start of this partition) = 64 6000 (hex), the required count.
This produces a file of just over 3GB, which seems right.

Can someone check my maths, please? And, maybe, consider changing the readme for this part?

Last edited by DoctorMike,

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does require some calc, here are the values.
2GB : 0x00246000@0x001BA000(user)
4GB : 0x00696000@0x001BA000(user)

However, that method isn't needed anymore to create the same backup.

Download LINKS Repaired: 10/18/2022

Here is a backup and recovery tool for the console: Genesis_FB_HD_2017_RKDumper_BackupTool.7z
Connect to the console using ADB and read the Instructions.

Put the console into Loader Mode and run the dumper.cmd (Might have to rt.click and RunAs Administrator)
Backup will be stored in the "Output" directory. The unchecked Loader highlighted in green is not needed.
https://postimg.cc/0K0nLtbP
Example01.jpg

Make sure there are no spaces in the directory paths or the dumper wont run.
https://postimg.cc/Cz1ZnvwH
Example02.jpg

The example above shows a 2GB console: Partition "user" (0x00246000)
The easiest way to determine if you have a 2GB or 4GB console is to back it up first and then read the dumper output.

Tools and Stock Firmware:

adb_driver - If ADB is already working then do not install this.

Flashback_HD_2017_BackupTool - Backup the current firmware

Genesis_Flashback_HD_2017_2G_Stock_Firmware - Most Common version in the US.

Genesis_Flashback_HD_2017_4G_Stock_Firmware

MegaDrive_Flashback_HD_2017_4G_Stock_Firmware

Backup of System partition games:
Genesis Flashback HD 2017
Megadrive Flashback HD 2017

Notes:
1. The Loader is not needed. Connect to the console using ADB and read the Instructions.
2. This firmware will convert an OBB console to a Non-OBB console. This makes it easier to add games.
3. The difference between Genesis and Megadrive firmware is the artwork for the games and the console gui.
4. If you've completely lost your firmware, the console wont boot and don't know what GB version console you have then its OK to use your best guess because it will not damage the console. IF this has happened to you Then contact me and I will help you get the console properly fixed.

Last edited by MicroNut99,
Reactions: astuermer and dcuk7

I0601889

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello !

When I connect "Atari flashback 8" to the PC via USB, the message "Unknown USB device" appears with an error.

I tried to install different drivers in Windows 7/10 (both 64-bit) with different usb cables, but it doesn't recognize the device and always detects it with the same error "Windows Devices".

What drivers did you use?

Can you share the correct drivers for Windows to recognize?

The intention is to connect through ADB to add games. I use adb (platform-tools_r30.0.1-windows)

Thank you very much for your help

Geman

Attachments

• Device Error.jpg
    Device Error.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 302

skite2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello guys. Does somebody got a Backup of the flsshback2017 'atgames' folder? Would be really nice and could help me to save a lot of time.

Last edited by skite2001,

astuermer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
However, that method isn't needed anymore to create the same backup...

Thanks! But if I start "dumper" as Admin, all I get is...

Code:
Found:  LOADER device (RK3036G 2207:301a) #8
        --- Firmware dumping ---

Found LOADER Rockchip device
        First 0x0010 NAND blocks reading
        Command to read failed

-- Rockchip device resetting --
        Found LOADER Rockchip device
        Command to reset failed

Any idea what to do?
It's a 2017 Mega Drive Flashback with Genesis/Mastersystem APKs dated "august 2017".
Got a firmware here with same APKs but "Genesis-111417.apk" and "MasterSystem-100917.apk".

Update: Never mind... got it working on another USB port!

If anybody is interested, here's a share on MEGA with the latest available 2017 firmware dated 11/15/2017.

Last edited by astuermer,
Reactions: MicroNut99

astuermer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hmm... device only jumps to dead android with exclamation mark.
I can't switch to Fastboot mode with Android Tool now.

Any help? :(

Again Update: Found the "manual bootloader button" :)
Holy crap that device has a crappy design :D

Firmware now installed to the latest official one. Sound not distorted anymore - for example in James Pond 2 Robocod.

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... device only jumps to dead android with exclamation mark.
I can't switch to Fastboot mode with Android Tool now.

Any help? :(

Again Update: Found the "manual bootloader button" :)
Holy crap that device has a crappy design :D

Firmware now installed to the latest official one. Sound not distorted anymore - for example in James Pond 2 Robocod.
You are correct about all.
The backup/recovery tool only works from folders without spaces.
As for those apk updates, those are rubbish.
About the image update, its been ages now but your comment regarding better sound is interesting.
I'm not sure if this is something that has been torn apart yet or not... the cobwebs are thick.
There is a high quality open source firmware replacement by WD_GASTER2 here: Generations Dashboard 4.0

And Thank you!
You've pointed out one of the most over looked firmware reset features of the 2017 ATGames Sega Genesis console.
The built-in firmware reset button.
Its hard to brick the rock.
3.jpg

astuermer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi

I configured my old 2017-model with 4GB NAND-memory according to my wishes with a customized animated "SEGA" boot animation made in Photoshop (based on the one from the Robocop cartridge) and customized the launcher-menu for Mega Drive/Genesis, Master System, Game Gear and the "special" Sonic Games menu ;)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Also some internal cable management and a back-mounted socket for USB is my backup/copy-solution so opening the case isn't necessary anymore... B-)

0.jpg

Also I linked the internal all-games.ini to the additional NAND-memory and stored my favorite games there - together with Photoshop-handmade game covers and some usual texts to show. The internal games are still in the internal memory, but not used. So going back to stock should be easy by removing the link and restoring the original all-games.ini.

[Genesis / MegaDrive]

AddamsFamily.bin
AddamsFamilyValues.bin
AfterBurner2.bin
Alien3.bin
Animaniacs.bin
AnotherWorld.bin
Batman.bin
BatmanForever.bin
BatmanReturns.bin
BatmanRevengeJoker.bin
BattleSquadron.bin
CannonFodder.bin
CastlevaniaNewGeneration.bin
ChaosEngine.bin
ChaseHQ2.bin
ChuckRock1.bin
ChuckRock2.bin
DesertStrike.bin
DoomTroopers.bin
DukeNukem3D.bin
Dune2KampfUmArrakis.bin
F1WorldChampionship.bin
Flashback.bin
Ghostbusters.bin
Gods.bin
GoldenAxe1.bin
GoldenAxe2.bin
Hellfire.bin
IndianaJonesLastCrusade.bin
JamesPond1.bin
JamesPond2Robocod.bin
JamesPond3Starfish.bin
JimPower.bin
JudgeDredd.bin
JungleStrike.bin
KidChameleon.bin
LawnmowerMan.bin
LegendOfGalahad.bin
Lemmings1.bin
Lemmings2.bin
Lotus1TurboChallenge.bin
Lotus2.bin
MegaLoMania.bin
MegaSWIV.bin
MegaTurrican.bin
MickeyMania.bin
MickeyMouseIllusion.bin
MidnightResistance.bin
MrNutz.bin
OutRun.bin
PacMania.bin
PowerDrive.bin
RiskyWoods.bin
Ristar.bin
Sagaia.bin
SeaQuestDSV.bin
ShadowOfTheBeast1.bin
ShadowOfTheBeast2.bin
SimpsonsBartsNightmare.bin
SkeletonKrew.bin
SolDeace.bin
Sonic3DBlast.bin
SonicAndKnuckles.bin
SonicHedgehog1.bin
SonicHedgehog2.bin
SonicHedgehog3.bin
Splatterhouse2.bin
Splatterhouse3.bin
StarTrekDS9Crossroads.bin
StarTrekTNGEchoes.bin
SubTerrania.bin
SuperHangOn.bin
Syndicate.bin
Technocop.bin
TestDrive2.bin
ThunderForce2.bin
ThunderForce3.bin
ThunderForce4.bin
TopGear2.bin
Turrican.bin
Worms.bin
Xenon2.bin
ZeroTolerance.bin
ZeroToleranceBeyond.bin
Zool.bin

[Master System]

AfterBurner.sms
Beast.sms
BTTF2.sms
BTTF3.sms
GalaxyForce.sms
JamesPond2.sms
MarbleMadness.sms
RType.sms
Sonic1.sms
Sonic2.sms

[Game Gear]

Alien3.gg
BramStokersDracula.gg
ChuckRock1.gg
ChuckRock2.gg
JamesPond2.gg
JudgeDredd.gg
ReturnOfTheJedi.gg
Sonic1.gg
Sonic2.gg
SonicBlast.gg
SonicSpinball.gg
StarTrekTNGNexus.gg
StarWars.gg

I want to share if someone still has the need to play some old classics.

This is the latest official firmware from atGames for the Genesis/Mega Drive Flashback dated November 2017...
https://mega.nz/file/oRQwUDRY#LB3a9FKBtpUBMiiW0F2Q9mKCj9nFGVJz900TMYzFom8

This is my own one as described above - backupped with the Flashback Dumper-Tool posted by @MicroNut99 above. A great tool as I think :D
https://mega.nz/file/kYRgRD6B#W9l1Erfp-3w8cprcNrzHBGKtq-835QjaObCg9ubEmfM

Use it as described above...
Of course if you just want to upgrade the official firmware, you need to use the tab "Upgrade Firmware" in the Flashback Dumper-Tool.

Have fun!

simon65

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,i totally screwed up with a firmware update and lost all the "free" games that came with the ATGames megadrive UK version but the links above no longer there ,can someone please point me in the right direction so i can restore the free games ?
thanks

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi ,i totally screwed up with a firmware update and lost all the "free" games that came with the ATGames megadrive UK version but the links above no longer there ,can someone please point me in the right direction so i can restore the free games ?
thanks
Using the reset button pictured up above will restore the games and reset the system to default.
Let me know if you need any more help.

It does require some calc, here are the values.
2GB : 0x00246000@0x001BA000(user)
4GB : 0x00696000@0x001BA000(user)

However, that method isn't needed anymore to create the same backup.

Here is a backup and recovery tool for the console: Genesis_FB_HD_2017_RKDumper_BackupTool.7z
Connect to the console using ADB and read the Instructions.

Put the console into Loader Mode and run the dumper.cmd (Might have to rt.click and RunAs Administrator)
Backup will be stored in the "Output" directory. The unchecked Loader highlighted in green is not needed.
https://postimg.cc/0K0nLtbP
Example01.jpg

Make sure there are no spaces in the directory paths or the dumper wont run.
https://postimg.cc/Cz1ZnvwH
Example02.jpg

The example above shows a 2GB console: Partition "user" (0x00246000)
The easiest way to determine if you have a 2GB or 4GB console is to back it up first and then read the dumper output.

Tools and Stock Firmware:

adb_driver - If ADB is already working then do not install this.

Flashback_HD_2017_BackupTool - Backup the current firmware

Genesis_Flashback_HD_2017_2G_Stock_Firmware - Most Common version in the US.

Genesis_Flashback_HD_2017_4G_Stock_Firmware

MegaDrive_Flashback_HD_2017_4G_Stock_Firmware

Backup of System partition games:
Genesis Flashback HD 2017
Megadrive Flashback HD 2017

Notes:
1. The Loader is not needed. Connect to the console using ADB and read the Instructions.
2. This firmware will convert an OBB console to a Non-OBB console. This makes it easier to add games.
3. The difference between Genesis and Megadrive firmware is the artwork for the games and the console gui.
4. If you've completely lost your firmware, the console wont boot and don't know what GB version console you have then its OK to use your best guess because it will not damage the console. IF this has happened to you Then contact me and I will help you get the console properly fixed.

Last edited by MicroNut99,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/