Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthMotzkus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello there! Anyone here can link some instruction on how to inject a .sms rom into the Sega 3D Classics for 3DS? I own a 3DS XL CFW and the .cia of Sonic Hedghog 2, wich came with Phantasy Star 2 injected instead of sonic, but I really want to play the japanese translated version of Phantasy Star 1 of master system on 3ds. Is it possible via the 3d classic emulator? I found the PicoDriver has some downgrade in sound because the Old 3DS XL is weak than New 3DS. And i can't enjoy the amazing japanese version sound of the PhStar1 emulating in PicoDriver. Anyone can Help me with that?

Thanks!

DarthMotzkus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's possible to play the Japanese version of Phantasy Star with both FM audio quality and English translation patch using RetroArch (Genesis Plus GX core).
Thanks, gonna look into it, but i thought the Retroarch Genesis Plus GX only work in New 3DS models, i own an Old 3DS XL. Is it correct? Still love to know how to inject .sms roms or if is possible to do it at least in Sega 3D Classics .cia.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Had me hyped at the title as those 3D Sega remasters are really well done and the added depth effects work really well. I'd have been surprised if it was simply a dressed up ROM as it seemed like certain aspects would have to be recoded in order to add the parallax effects etc...

Has anyone looked into this mod before?

Reactions: DarthMotzkus

DarthMotzkus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I found on internet a folder stored in someone MEGA account with a huge collection of 3D Classics injections of a lot genesis titles. I've managed to change the banner, icon and 3d banner sound, extracting the .cia and change the files for my Phantasy star 2, 3 and 4 3d classics cias and installed them. It still works with my own banners (the stock one has the creator name on banner and it's very low res image).
But i can't change the compressed rom to a master system .sms. In the "Creating Save File" the 3DS crash with a dump hex screen, and had to shut down the console.
I figured out the roms inside of 3d classic .cia is compressed, in some sort of MDF compression. I've changed the name and extension of the Phantasy Star.sms rom to be the same as the decompressed "Sonic2" default rom and compressed it again, encrypt the .cia file, installed via FBI, the title starts, but crash the console in "Creating save..." screen.
I think i need to patch the .sms rom in some way i really don't know. That's why i came here, hoping someone can help me with this injection.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, gonna look into it, but i thought the Retroarch Genesis Plus GX only work in New 3DS models, i own an Old 3DS XL. Is it correct? Still love to know how to inject .sms roms or if is possible to do it at least in Sega 3D Classics .cia.
You can make SMS VC style injections with NSUI beta 28.

This game (JPN version with FM audio & English translation) doesn't run at full speed on the Old 3DS series if played with YM2413 audio enabled. I tried this on both the Genesis Plus GX and SMS Plus GX cores on my o3DSXL and was getting ~45 FPS, so no groovy space tunes. :/

DarthMotzkus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can make SMS VC style injections with NSUI beta 28.

This game (JPN version with FM audio & English translation) doesn't run at full speed on the Old 3DS series if played with YM2413 audio enabled. I tried this on both the Genesis Plus GX or SMS Plus GX on my o3DSXL and was getting ~45 FPS, so no groovy space tunes. :/
Yeah, that i know,but this SMS VC Injected via NSUI is a fowarder correct? This is why i want to inject .sms roms into Sega 3D CLASSIC.cia... Hoping someone here knows anything about it.

Last edited by DarthMotzkus,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that i know, this is why i want to inject .sms roms into Sega 3D CLASSIC.cia... Hoping someone here knows anything about it.
This wiki page says that 3DS title isn't emulating those games, so it can't be used to inject .SMS roms.
Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4 are Genesis/Mega Drive games. If yours are CIA injections, they're likely running under the RetroArch PicoDrive forwarder as the Injection method.

If you want to play Phantasy Star 1 with FM sound, you'll have to look elsewhere either on computer, smartphone, or n3DSXL/n3DS/n2DSXL.

DarthMotzkus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This wiki page says that 3DS title isn't emulating those games, so it can't be used to inject .SMS roms.
Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4 are Genesis/Mega Drive games. If yours are CIA injections, they're likely running under the RetroArch PicoDrive forwarder as the Injection method.

If you want to play Phantasy Star 1 with FM sound, you'll have to look elsewhere either on computer, smartphone, or n3DSXL/n3DS/n2DSXL.
No, the Phantasy Star 2,3 and 4 all running under Sonic 2 3D Classic.cia game, the creator just change the rom, to the Phantasy Star games, and many many other he stored in his MEGA folder like sonic and knunckles, aladdin, the golden axe trilogy etc. I don't have any Retroarch emulator in my console, how it could be forwarder. I gonna make a video, later today, and i'll send here so you can see. It's amazing port, perfect pixel, and color, and can be activate the 3d television mode, wich is amazing too, and save state works as well.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the Phantasy Star 2,3 and 4 all running under Sonic 2 3D Classic.cia game, the creator just change the rom, to the Phantasy Star games, and many many other he stored in his MEGA folder like sonic and knunckles, aladdin, the golden axe trilogy etc. I don't have any Retroarch emulator in my console, how it could be forwarder. I gonna make a video, later today, and i'll send here so you can see. It's amazing port, perfect pixel, and color, and can be activate the 3d television mode, wich is amazing too, and save state works as well.
I see. That wiki page is wrong. You are indeed correct.

I went looking for this supposed crazy method no one seems to know about here and found that those Sega 3D Classics collection do contain roms for their respective consoles. Research lead me to a thread at the SMS Power forum called, Sega 3D Classics Collection for 3DS ROM inspection. Because some people on that thread uploaded copyright material / decrypted roms, I won't directly linked that page here.

Funny enough, that thread links back to GBAtemp. You can find the programs to decompress and recompress those MDF archives with tools made by Normmatt,

I guess the way whoever injected the roms did this by decompiling the Sega 3D Classic CIA with ctrtool & makerom, renaming the SMS/BIN roms to what they're replacing, dragging and dropping the roms onto the mdfCompressor.exe to convert to MDF / *.m, and then recompiling it back into a CIA.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sorry, didn't mean to double post. @Asdolo, in case you're interested in adding this weird injection method in NSUI someway.

EDIT - Yup, it works. FM audio is supported too.

Sega_3D_Classics_injection.png

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

DarthMotzkus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I went looking for this supposed crazy method no one seems to know about here and found that those Sega 3D Classics collection do contain roms for their respective consoles. Research lead me to a thread at the SMS Power forum called, Sega 3D Classics Collection for 3DS ROM inspection. Because some people on that thread uploaded copyright material / decrypted roms, I won't directly linked that page here.

Funny enough, that thread links back to GBAtemp. You can find the programs to decompress and recompress those MDF archives with tools made by Normmatt,

I guess the way whoever injected the roms did this by decompiling the Sega 3D Classic CIA with ctrtool & makerom, renaming the SMS/BIN roms to what they're replacing, dragging and dropping the roms onto the mdfCompressor.exe to convert to MDF / *.m, and then recompiling it back into a CIA.

Sorry, didn't mean to double post. @Asdolo, in case you're interested in adding this weird injection method in NSUI someway.

View attachment 227333
I did this with the Sonic2.cia base, it's the same .cia base working for Phantasy 2,3 and 4. This above you did with the Fantasy Zone.cia base right? Gonna try to find it. It's a master system game, so it works, with a genesis game, i get this crash anexed.

View attachment 227333
You did this with the Japanese or the European cia?

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 219
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did this with the Sonic2.cia base, it's the same .cia base working for Phantasy 2,3 and 4. This above you did with the Fantasy Zone.cia base right? Gonna try to find it. It's a master system game, so it works, with a genesis game, i get this crash anexed.
Sega Master System games were never made into standalone Virtual Console titles for the 3DS. My injection was done on SEGA 3D Classics Collection (USA) with TitleID 0004000000185E00. I renamed my copy of Phantasy Star.smsFantasyZone2_J.SMS, converted and encrypted it with mdfCompressor.exe, and rebuilt the CIA.

Edit - Fantasy Zone II was substituted/replaced with Phantasy Star.

Reactions: kineticUk

DarthMotzkus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sega Master System games were never made into standalone Virtual Console titles for the 3DS. My injection was done on SEGA 3D Classics Collection (USA) with TitleID 0004000000185E00. I renamed my copy of Phantasy Star.smsFantasyZone2_J.SMS, converted and encrypted it with mdfCompressor.exe, and rebuilt the CIA.

Edit - Fantasy Zone II was substituted/replaced with Phantasy Star.
There's a lot of Fantasy Zone II in this collection, wich one you replaced? And i need to play the japanese version to Phantasy Star work?

DarthMotzkus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, I managed to run Phantasy Star injected on Fantasy Zone (and even Maze Walker, both .SMS titles) via the 3D Classics Collection, both of then emulate terrible, the resolution is bad, and the character keeps vanishing when walk. I guess i will stick to play PhStar1 on my Wii, via component cable and in a crt television. At least the sequences (2,3 and 4) plays perfectly well on 3D Classic Sonic 2.cia, injected on the place of Sonic .SGD rom. Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited by DarthMotzkus,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a lot of Fantasy Zone II in this collection, wich one you replaced? And i need to play the japanese version to Phantasy Star work?

Well, I managed to run Phantasy Star injected on Fantasy Zone (and even Maze Walker, both .SMS titles) via the 3D Classics Collection, both of then emulate terrible, the resolution is bad, and the character keeps vanishing when walk. I guess i will stick to play PhStar1 on my Wii, via component cable and in a crt television. At least the sequences (2,3 and 4) plays perfectly well on 3D Classic Sonic 2.cia, injected on the place of Sonic .SGD rom. Thanks for the help everyone.
My injection of Phantasy Star seems to work just fine. That chick character, Alisa, didn't disappear when I walked around in the town of Camineet and took a exit to visit Shion to the east.

The copy of the game I used was the Japanese version with the English Translation patch mentioned in post #2. You'll need a program that's does IPS patching like Floating IPS.
  • Original Japanese ROM: Phantasy Star (J) [!].sms (512 KB - 6605D36A)
    • +
  • IPS patch, version 2.00 (25 May 2020): ps1jert200.ips (94.4 KB - F767A9B8)
    • =
  • English Patched ROM: Phantasy Star.sms (512 KB - A04CF71A)

The next thing I did was extract a CIA copy of SEGA 3D Classics Collection (USA) with the program mentioned in post #6.
  1. NSUIToolsCIA extract and rebuild.
  2. Drag and drop 0004000000185E00 SEGA 3D Classics Collection (CTR-P-AK3E) (U).cia into the CIA extract and rebuild window.
  3. Extract 1 CIA(s)Open extract folder of 1 CIA(s).
  4. temp1extractedExtractedRomFSsystem_ggroms
Convert the English patched SMS rom with the MDF tools mentioned in post #10.

5. Rename Phantasy Star.smsFantasyZone2_J.SMS
  • This step is crucial. The file has to be renamed now and not after doing step 6, or else the file won't be encrypted correctly.
6. Drag and drop FantasyZone2_J.SMS onto the mdfCompressor.exe. The output file should be FantasyZone2_J.SMS.m (318 KB - EE232B49).

7. Cut and paste the FantasyZone2_J.SMS.m to replace the file from step 4.
8. Rebuild 1 CIA(s) → cut & paste the output *_Edited.cia onto the SD card.
9. FBI install the CIA, and launch the game. At the game menu, select Extras Fantasy Zone II - The Tears of OPA-OPA.
10. Press the (SELECT) or (START) button. Adjust the settings.
  • Settings
    • Screen Mode: Clean
    • Background: Type 4
  • FM Sound Unit ⦿
The image quality has a slight blurriness than what this game's pixel perfect resolution should be probably because of some in-game bilinear filtering applied to FantasyZone2. There's probably some way to turn it off if anyone knows their away around with SEGA's GG VC or 3D Classics series of GEN/MD games.

DarthMotzkus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My injection of Phantasy Star seems to work just fine. That chick character, Alisa, didn't disappear when I walked around in the town of Camineet and took a exit to visit Shion to the east.

The copy of the game I used was the Japanese version with the English Translation patch mentioned in post #2. You'll need a program that's does IPS patching like Floating IPS.
  • Original Japanese ROM: Phantasy Star (J) [!].sms (512 KB - 6605D36A)
    • +
  • IPS patch, version 2.00 (25 May 2020): ps1jert200.ips (94.4 KB - F767A9B8)
    • =
  • English Patched ROM: Phantasy Star.sms (512 KB - A04CF71A)

The next thing I did was extract a CIA copy of SEGA 3D Classics Collection (USA) with the program mentioned in post #6.
  1. NSUIToolsCIA extract and rebuild.
  2. Drag and drop 0004000000185E00 SEGA 3D Classics Collection (CTR-P-AK3E) (U).cia into the CIA extract and rebuild window.
  3. Extract 1 CIA(s)Open extract folder of 1 CIA(s).
  4. temp1extractedExtractedRomFSsystem_ggroms
Convert the English patched SMS rom with the MDF tools mentioned in post #10.

5. Rename Phantasy Star.smsFantasyZone2_J.SMS
  • This step is crucial. The file has to be renamed now and not after doing step 6, or else the file won't be encrypted correctly.
6. Drag and drop FantasyZone2_J.SMS onto the mdfCompressor.exe. The output file should be FantasyZone2_J.SMS.m (318 KB - EE232B49).

7. Cut and paste the FantasyZone2_J.SMS.m to replace the file from step 4.
8. Rebuild 1 CIA(s) → cut & paste the output *_Edited.cia onto the SD card.
9. FBI install the CIA, and launch the game. At the game menu, select Extras Fantasy Zone II - The Tears of OPA-OPA.
10. Press the (SELECT) or (START) button. Adjust the settings.
  • Settings
    • Screen Mode: Clean
    • Background: Type 4
  • FM Sound Unit ⦿
The image quality has a slight blurriness than what this game's pixel perfect resolution should be probably because of some in-game bilinear filtering applied to FantasyZone2. There's probably some way to turn it off if anyone knows their away around with SEGA's GG VC or 3D Classics series of GEN/MD games.

Man, i don't think you get my post correctly, sorry for my bad grammar. I did everything you did, that's WHY i get Phantasy Star WORKING on 3D Classics Collection, yesterday. But i do not like these blurriness, it's very annoying, you noticed too. The character disappering it's only when i tested the injection on Maze Walker, trying to get rid of the blurriness, but it's there too. On Fantasy Zone there's no disappearing.

I tested on PicoDrive too, creating a fowarder channel with NSUI, but unfortunately the PicoDrive doesn't play on YS2413 audio chip, just the old and noise crap sound. Is There any way to play this sound chip on picodrive?
If anyone knows how to get rid of the blurriness i will return to the 3D Classics method, otherwise i will keep with the ideia to play on my crt tv in Wii.
BTW, the 3D Classic Emulator can't run perfectly the sequences. Play a bit of PhStar 2 of Genesis, on the 3D Classic Collection injecting on Altered Beast (and tried Sonic 1 too), and there's so much slowdowns in battles. I created fowarders for PicoDrive for them and they play flawlessly on the emulator, much better than the 3D Classics Collection emulator. I tried inject myself on a standalone 3D Classic Sonic 2.cia, it's work, but the slowdowns still appears in battles. I noticed the PicoDrive lock the home menu, just like pokémon ultra sun/moon to get more memory, that's why i think the 3D Classics Collection flaws, it doesn't have enough memory for every game, like Phantasy Star, the 3D Classics Collection doesn't lock the home menu.
But until no one knows how to get rid of this blurrinnes, i will leave my ideia to play phantasy star 1 on 3DS for now.

Hold up, does that mean that MD games injected into the 3D Classics all of a sudden can sprout 3D effects as well? :unsure:

Yes, but i don't think more heavy titles runs perfect, like phantasy star 2, 3 and 4. But you can inject any genesis rom and use the 3d classic television effect (it's pretty cool by the way).

You can inject Genesis titles on standalones Sega 3D Classics titles, like Sonic 2, it's the better one because it's the last revision the Giga Drive emulator received (the Giga Drive it's the emulator of Sega 3D Classics titles, made by M2). The 3D Classics Collection has too much loading and "preparing save" screens, it's good only to inject Master System roms on Fantasy Zone rom place, it's the only way to play Master System on them. I tried every Master System Standalone 3D Classic titles (Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone II W etc.) and all of them has no rom to replace like in 3d Classics Collection and Genesis 3D Classic standalone titles. Apparently theses Master System standalone 3d cassic games have decompressed rom files into some folders. Only the Genesis 3d classic standalones has the rom folder with a rom to replace, and replace for a Master System rom doesn't work too, only genesis games work.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
you can inject any genesis rom and use the 3d classic television effect (it's pretty cool by the way).

That's huge. Is there an easy way with some fowarder or something? or plans to make such thing? finally a reason to not use a good ol emulator for genesis but actually inject the games

Reactions: yuyuyup

DarthMotzkus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's huge. Is there an easy way with some fowarder or something? or plans to make such thing? finally a reason to not use a good ol emulator for genesis but actually inject the games

I don't think so, i did this mannually and i'm not programming anything. But for someone with the expertise, it's possible create a tool for it. It's not too many steps thow. Maybe they implement this on NSUI, who knows. But I stick with the fowarders made by NSUI, wich runs the game via picodrive, it's more perfectly emulated, than the Giga Drive internal emulator of those 3D Classics. The only good reason to use it, is for playing a Genesis rom with that cool 3D Classic Television effect. But i do preffer the pure pixel perfect.

My only desire is one day PicoDrive can emulate the YM2413 sound chip, that will be amazing!

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I stick with the fowarders made by NSUI, wich runs the game via picodrive, it's more perfectly emulated, than the Giga Drive internal emulator of those 3D Classics. The only good reason to use it, is for playing a Genesis rom with that cool 3D Classic Television effect. But i do preffer the pure pixel perfect.

Ideally i'd like to be able to switch between the two on a single, solid emulator, but next best thing is having this as an alternative, sometimes i feel like playing games with looks more faithful to what i used to when i was a kid, even if it's all emulated with shaders and such and not really a CRT. I hope someone adds this into the NSUI eventually, it'd be a great addition to those of us who dig the stereoscopic 3D effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol