Sega is working on fixes for Sonic Origins

capsule_616x353.jpg

Sega has softly announced that it is working on fixes for the buggy Sonic the Hedgehog collection, Sonic Origins. In a Tweet posted yesterday, Sonic's social media manager reassured fans that some fixes would be coming. "The team's been listening and is working on fixing a variety of issues right now," the Tweet reads. As of now, it seems that the fixes may be a ways off, as she also writes "we'll make sure to get some more official messaging out once we have more info for everyone."

This follows comments made by Sonic Origins developer Stealth shortly after the game's release, saying he was "very unhappy" with the release. According to Stealth, he and Headcannon were responsible for some of the bugs in the game, but also insists many were introduced by Sega themselves, saying that Origins is not "what [they] turned in."

These bugs have proven controversial among the Sonic community. As reported by TheGamer, a modder working on a project called BetterOrigins abruptly canceled the project, announcing "After really digging into the files for this game, it's become way clearer that this game is absolute shit." Our own Sonic superfan wrote "there's so much wrong that it makes it incredibly hard to recommend Sonic Origins, while still loving it so much" in the official GBAtemp review.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
im playing origins, and i can say that most complaints and bugs are really nitpicking. yes they are there but they are not that big of a deal. but update is more than velcome!

• Haha
Reactions: Cris1997XX

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Imagine a world where people weren't cynical and pretentious.
Does SEGA pay you?

It's not being cynical or pretentious to be critical of a product that was released in a state that is insulting to not only the fans but to the whole industry.

Enjoy your shitty collection at an exagerated price.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not expecting much from a fix update.
Be nice if they relisted the mega drive roms and included them with origins to balance things out.

Reactions: Vorde

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
they should have just ported the originals like they did on the gamecube. those worked just fine
They weren't ported, they were emulated. Also there were numerous emulation issues; specifically sound emulation which has been notorious for being overly difficult to make accurate.
Also emulation cannot offer things such as additional characters, widescreen support, or online capabilities. While there are custom solutions for most of those things, it would make more sense to make a new game engine and remake the games :)

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Does SEGA pay you?

It's not being cynical or pretentious to be critical of a product that was released in a state that is insulting to not only the fans but to the whole industry.

Enjoy your shitty collection at an exagerated price.
It's not really shitty.
That's statement is a bit exaggerated, and it makes impression, when people read it, that Sonic Origins is a REALLY REALLY BAD game...which really, it is not.

It has many flaws, yes, they should be addressed, and sega anounced patches, but nothing game breaking per se.
They should have released already fixed game, a finished product bith bugs ironed out and all but even with those, its not bad, but at least there are patches.
My issue is that its not on cartridge...i hope it will come on cartridge cause i like to have physical cartridge whenever i can.

I only had one glitch, in sonic 1, and it fixed it self, didnt loose a life and it really was a funny glitch, but i am enjoying the game so far and it does have essentially 5 games (sonic 1, 2, CD, 3, S&K) and they are all tied up as one experience in mission mode screen (idk why mission mode screen though but ok) with neat animations taht i really like.

Those 5 games (or 4 if you wish) are true origin of sonic games, hence the name "Sonic Origin" and not "Sonic Collection", because i see people complaining like "oh this is not a good collection like mega collection with many more games" and what not, and yes, i agree, itsn NOT a collection, its ORIGIN. It technically IS a collection of origin games, but since they are origin games, there ARE 5 games IN.THAT.COLLECTION. Thats just how history IS. If more than 5 existed in his origins there would be more...but it doesn't.

I mean the official manual even said it: https://manuals.sega.com/origins/en/?pid=1
firefox_uDunSHM6Uc.png

So yeah, it's "just" 5 games.

As for little things, i have quite a few that i find annoying but not consider them flaw or game breaking, they are just unintuitive IMO, like in gallery,

-you can't scroll with right analog while looking picture in full screen. if you want to go to next picture you must exit full screen and than go to next picture in same album, or you cant use ZR or ZL to go to next album/set of pictures/picture you must exit full screen again.
-You cant zoom more.
-When i zoom a picture and move stick UP the picture goes down.. it feels like when i scroll mose wheel up webpage goes down...just weird and unintuitive, and theres no way to change that or controlls in general.
-No way to turn on or off drop-dahs or spin-dash. Sonic 1 and 2 have broken drop-dash kinda, it wont change direction once its in motion...
-Music cant play background when you exit player
-They COULD have put some other characters for fun, like shadow, amy, metal, chaos, eggman...

I mean i found ton of those, and i can go on and on but they are just nitpicking really. Game overall runs, feels and plays great!

As for money... it's expensive imo. I would give 30$ TOP! And that's top!
I mean obviously since i have it i gave 45$ for deluxe, the difference is 5$ betvean non deluxe and deluxe, it makes no sense to buy non deluxe, and it makes no sense for sega to split the game for 5$...and its not even something major, its 5$ for stupid things...but again, its 5$ its like buying a Cheeseburgers i mean.... to split content for 5$ is stupiud, just like buying non deluxe version when difference is 5$.

But all in all as i said earlier, your statement is a bit exaggerated.
Its not shitty a game/games, games are really fun especially in 16:9 and upscaled with animations, and its not a collection per se, as in, bunch of random games collected to celibrate sonic in general, it's ORIGIN collection and 5 games exist in origin.

In my conclusion: The Sonic Origins is great, and treat to sonic fans and people who want to experience origin of sonic games on modern consoles, but its a bit pricey. It give at most 30$ and even that feels expensive, but more fair than 45$.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I honestly cant understand why people hate this game, except the pricing.
Im reading all the complaints but when i actually play the game those complaints feel like nitpicking.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so many sonic retro releases it make's me sick... the only good one IMO was gem's on GC and PS2 (PS2 was Pal only) but that's not a retro release. if you going re-lease something make sure to do it right and not mess it up with bugs and stuff.

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not really shitty.
That's statement is a bit exaggerated, and it makes impression, when people read it, that Sonic Origins is a REALLY REALLY BAD game...which really, it is not.

It has many flaws, yes, they should be addressed, and sega anounced patches, but nothing game breaking per se.
They should have released already fixed game, a finished product bith bugs ironed out and all but even with those, its not bad, but at least there are patches.
My issue is that its not on cartridge...i hope it will come on cartridge cause i like to have physical cartridge whenever i can.

I only had one glitch, in sonic 1, and it fixed it self, didnt loose a life and it really was a funny glitch, but i am enjoying the game so far and it does have essentially 5 games (sonic 1, 2, CD, 3, S&K) and they are all tied up as one experience in mission mode screen (idk why mission mode screen though but ok) with neat animations taht i really like.

Those 5 games (or 4 if you wish) are true origin of sonic games, hence the name "Sonic Origin" and not "Sonic Collection", because i see people complaining like "oh this is not a good collection like mega collection with many more games" and what not, and yes, i agree, itsn NOT a collection, its ORIGIN. It technically IS a collection of origin games, but since they are origin games, there ARE 5 games IN.THAT.COLLECTION. Thats just how history IS. If more than 5 existed in his origins there would be more...but it doesn't.

I mean the official manual even said it: https://manuals.sega.com/origins/en/?pid=1
View attachment 318442
So yeah, it's "just" 5 games.

As for little things, i have quite a few that i find annoying but not consider them flaw or game breaking, they are just unintuitive IMO, like in gallery,

-you can't scroll with right analog while looking picture in full screen. if you want to go to next picture you must exit full screen and than go to next picture in same album, or you cant use ZR or ZL to go to next album/set of pictures/picture you must exit full screen again.
-You cant zoom more.
-When i zoom a picture and move stick UP the picture goes down.. it feels like when i scroll mose wheel up webpage goes down...just weird and unintuitive, and theres no way to change that or controlls in general.
-No way to turn on or off drop-dahs or spin-dash. Sonic 1 and 2 have broken drop-dash kinda, it wont change direction once its in motion...
-Music cant play background when you exit player
-They COULD have put some other characters for fun, like shadow, amy, metal, chaos, eggman...

I mean i found ton of those, and i can go on and on but they are just nitpicking really. Game overall runs, feels and plays great!

As for money... it's expensive imo. I would give 30$ TOP! And that's top!
I mean obviously since i have it i gave 45$ for deluxe, the difference is 5$ betvean non deluxe and deluxe, it makes no sense to buy non deluxe, and it makes no sense for sega to split the game for 5$...and its not even something major, its 5$ for stupid things...but again, its 5$ its like buying a Cheeseburgers i mean.... to split content for 5$ is stupiud, just like buying non deluxe version when difference is 5$.

But all in all as i said earlier, your statement is a bit exaggerated.
Its not shitty a game/games, games are really fun especially in 16:9 and upscaled with animations, and its not a collection per se, as in, bunch of random games collected to celibrate sonic in general, it's ORIGIN collection and 5 games exist in origin.

In my conclusion: The Sonic Origins is great, and treat to sonic fans and people who want to experience origin of sonic games on modern consoles, but its a bit pricey. It give at most 30$ and even that feels expensive, but more fair than 45$.
Extraordinary games man, shitty collection. No real addition here, 16:9 some videos. I mean yeah sure at $25 I would say otherwise.

Wanna celebrate Sonic's golden days? Add tons of music covers and arrangements, show us why Sonic was so good!

Reactions: MetoMeto

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure they can work out all the nonsense bugs that were added. This was clearly rushed, but not at all beyond saving. Once it's fixed, I'll probably pick it up.

I'm much more curious to see if they'll do some sort of Plus like expansion like Mania got. Cuz the game could use some extra bonus content beyond what it has: Knuckles should be playable in CD, and Amy really should be added as a bonus character, she's plastered all over this release, yet never once playable. From there they could do something like Encore Mode again, maybe add Metal Sonic or something as a 5th playable character, to kinda compliment Mania. Maybe that's asking a little too much, but for a 40 or 45 dollar game, it really should offer some bonus content beyond what it does, even if all it's bugs do get fixed up.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega "softly" announced..... wtf lol.

Its as bad as nintendo when they cant be arsed to release its own stuff properly and yet we could already emulate these games for free thanks to the work of those that don't even work for them.

When you cant even port or emulate your own consoles/games, it's embarrassing..... especially retro titles.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...A sale of the company to Nintendo, that is.
Id rather see Sega be taken in by MS over Nintendo honestly.

Nintendo really has no interest in taking in other IP's and doing things with them when they have their own which they have built an entire gaming empire on. To them taking in Sega's IP's will probably amount to nothing but cameo's in other Nintendo games. MS on the other hand would probably want the IP's Sega has to help leverage foreign markets since they are still seen as too western for success in Japan. As a result they would probably want to put some serious effort using their IP's to appeal to both those markets and the fans of the markets here.

But I do not see MS taking on another anytime soon, since ActiBlizz is still being processed and potentially contested in courts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."