Sega is in the bidding for Atlus

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
actually, if I was microsoft, I'd probably buy atlus and force them to make viva pinata 2.
you know, just to kick everyone not yet offended in the balls

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Wouldn't like them to be taken over by...
Sega (Hatsune Miku, Anarchy Reigns, and PSO2 being ready still left to be released over a year later, then there's the fact that their handling of the Shining series, and VC3, which are nowhere near as niche as SMT)
Square-Enix (Taito, cell-phone card based GREE free-to-play crap, none of their games are being localized)
Konami (with how bad they left most of theirs, and Tri-Ace's RPGs and various games unexported, killing everything besides their "major franchises", and turning the rest into Pachinko games (almost as bad as SE in this regard), plus they killed Hudson Soft and cancelled all of their games)
Capcom (that one goes without saying... MML3, MM:FPS, MMU, all cancelled, games being kept because they're "too Japanese")
Microsoft (ruined the Tengai Makyou RPG series because of the X360 exclusivity and abysimal sales, plus they almost never export their Japanese offerings)

Right now they would be better off with either
Namdai (hopefully they'll localize for them too, and they're open with publishing for others or letting others publish their non-Tales games, plus Banpesto still does what it used to after they purshased it, so all is good),
Nintendo (even though I hate having to hold on 3~4 years to buy a Nintendo console for exclusives, they would respect it... if they loosen up and let them publish for Sony consoles like with that Game Freak's obscure PS1 puzzle game... and Nintendo did own a part of the shares of Monolith when it used to publish for the PS2),
or Sony (but that means no SMTxFE).

Tricky situation indeed :(

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope Nintendo gets them. Because I want a better Nintendo. The company is in need of more development studios. Iwata and Miyamoto have both stated themselves that Nintendo is largely understaffed for HD development. What could help increase the manpower there more than acquire a whole other company?

Also keep in mind that Atlus isn’t one single developer – they consists of many teams. Teams that Nintendo could use to develop some of their lower-priority franchises, such as Starfox and F-Zero. The main reason why Nintendo fans don’t get to see these less popular franchises is because Nintendo has their more talented studios always working on the next Mario, Mario Kart, or DK game. With a new developer on the scene, it opens up the opportunity for us Nintendo fans to see some of the more unfortunate series that we love.
And of course, this would mean that Nintendo would have some “new IPs” under their belt as well, which is a factor that many fallen Nintendo fans have been direly asking for.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would say Nintendo, but then again, I have grown tired of the way they force the shoehorning of as much of whatever "innovative feature" the platform has into the game's development... as in, why I never bothered finishing Phantom Hourglass with its absurdly inefficient all-touch controls, to give a small example. If Nintendo would just let Atlus do their job without going "Oh, but you have to use every goddamn WiiU feature and the kitchen sink!" then I'm all for it, but that's unrealistic.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
In order to really do well they need to release worldwide on as much as they can.
I couldn't agree more. I love Nintendo, but I would much rather a third party buy them. As you said, it really broadens the range of games and devices they can work with.

That said, I'm not so sure I like Sega buying them, considering their financial situation.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, from my point of view I'd prefer if the ones to get them were Nintendo, since they localise the majority of their games in Europe, unlike what Atlus and Sega currently do (and also because I'm looking forward to SMT X FE).

Sony would also be ok if they got them, however I would prefer to continue getting SMT games on the 3DS (and if Sony got them the mysterious Persona game being made for the 3DS would be canned).

And no, I'm not concerned about Nintendo censoring the stuff like many think they would because Nintendo isn't that dumb (an example is metroid, the last FE and some others).

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
While I like the idea of a new Sega console, I think that Nintnedoo would benefit more. Besides, a fusion with another console company would make the rerelease of the original i]Shin Megami Tensei: Summoner[/i] (once only for the Sega Saturn) easier (since Sony has that 'minimum of new content' policy). Even so, Atlus need to write a new Sega Saturn emulator for whatever console Atlus gets bought, since the PSP rerelease is actually the Sega Saturn game running under an emulator.

About Microsoft... do you know about how Shin Megami Tensei: NINE failed?

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Honestly, I prefer Sega or Sony to take over Atlus. Nintendo has always focused on first party game orientated toward family and casual gamer. I just don't see how Atlus will benefit Nintendo to a great degree.

Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssey. Family-oriented, casual games. Lol

PSO2 will be localized... eventually... maybe?, but PSP2i is out for almost 3 years without localization. :(

I fear for Atlus' future.

Lestworth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Atlus games, so my only hope is that a big publisher does not get their hands on this company. I want them to makes games for every console.

Secretly, I want a remake of Ogre Battle 64 ;). I own the cartridge, VC. But I always wanted a true sequel.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they made few good games

I love most their RPG/RTS
I just don't remember how many hours I spend on Disgaea (on PS2, DS version is really chasing me away)

but most their games are really underrated, lack of promotion (ex: Radiant Historia anyone heard of it?)

but then again... since I have no idea how they are doing in "gaming" department... But with all new releases I think they are doing fine, maybe they are doing well but the son of company owner probably is a douche who spent too much.
Atlus didn't make Disgaea, they just published it. NiS made it.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
SEGA are among 20 companies looking to buy Index Corporations operations, who went into bankruptcy a few weeks ago.

Keep in mind that Sega (probably) wants to buy Index for Atlus, but Index owns other companies not involved in the game industry. Other companies wouldn't want to buy Index for Atlus, but some of the other companies, so saying that 20 companies are bidding for Atlus is illogical.

If a company not involved buys it, I think Atlus would continue doing as it always has. If a company involved in it buys them, though, I think Nintendo would be likely due to their strong relationship with Atlus.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not publisher SEGA, this is SEGA Sammy Holdings, the holding company (like Index), not the publisher.
This means if SEGA does buy, Atlus they would continue to do what they do and not be tied down (as it is with all holding companies) and they surely will not be apart of Publisher Sega.

Edit: I've said this a lot on the forums I've been to, but the chances of Atlus being bought by a gaming company are very slim. They're most likely to be bought a holdings company like Index.

I know you guys think since it's a video game company that only other video game companies are going to buy them, but no that's not the case. Index was not a video game company and they still got a hold of Atlus, not to mention holding companies are the most realistic choice.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not publisher SEGA, this is SEGA Sammy Holdings, the holding company (like Index), not the publisher.
This means if SEGA does buy, Atlus they would continue to do what they do and not be tied down (as it is with all holding companies) and they surely will not be apart of Publisher Sega.

Edit: I've said this a lot on the forums I've been to, but the chances of Atlus being bought by a gaming company are very slim. They're most likely to be bought a holdings company like Index.

I know you guys think since it's a video game company that only other video game companies are going to buy them, but no that's not the case. Index was not a video game company and they still got a hold of Atlus, not to mention holding companies are the most realistic choice.

Yeah, I really hope this is the case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1