Sega Game Gear Repair (1 ASIC GG)

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by timbo81, Feb 20, 2014.

1. timbo81
    OP

timbo81 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2014
    Sheffield
    I recently bought a Sega Game Gear off ebay, model number MK-2110-50.

The repair method I was following was from two online guides;

http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=270

and

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ggrgb/ggrepair.html

I have changed all the electrolytic capacitors (picture 1) on the main board and also C5 and C7 on the audio board but the picture is still washed out and not visible (picture 2). The sound is working perfectly now though.

I would be very grateful if someone would give me some advice which direction to go in next, I am at a loss.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I own 2 game gears, one works just fine the other has the same issue as yours. Where did you get the replacement capacitors for it? I may open mine up and see where some soldering can get me. I you happen to find the problem please let me know what it is.

3. timbo81
    OP

timbo81 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2014
    Sheffield
  4. Dhampir

Dhampir Junker

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2013
    United States
    I highly recommend posting over at the SMS Power! forums. It's a community that specializes in 8-bit Sega devices.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The Gamegear has all of my favorite Sonic games! I wish I still had my gamegear. is there any way to retrofit it with a modern LED backlit (or side-lit) LCD, instead of that CCFL backlight that drains those 6 batteries?

As for getting my Gamegear Sonic fix, I used SMSAdvance to create my own Sonic Smash Pack with all 12 Sonic (and Tails) games. I play it on my GBA SP and my phone. :3

6. timbo81
    OP

timbo81 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2014
    Sheffield

There is a mod to change the florescent bulb with LED lights, not sure where it is but google will have the answer. You can also add a modern screen, fairly complicated and expensive, plus when I researched it you dont get a full screen output with game gear games they have a boarder around them.

Cheers, I will see what they say.