seems straight forward enough,what could go wrong?(salvage broken pad charger easy fix)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by weatMod, Jun 10, 2016.

1. weatMod
    OP

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    [​IMG]

is this a good or bad idea to save $10?(yes i am a cheap bastard)
    i bought a wiiu used(stole this thing, $90, black 32gb near mint cond, w/MK8 preinstalled), no charger for game pad,but a friend had these laying around he gave me

broken wii u pad charger, wire severed off right at the connector head, and wiiu pad charging cradle
    so i opened it up with my triwing looks straight forward enough, unless ninty decided to switch colors black to red,red to black(highly doubt it ,but you never know)

i tested the charger it is outputting 6v dc so good on that end
    just nervous about polarity, i am 99.9% positive red to red black to black will be fine but don't want to fry my pad out either , should i just solder it up and go for it?

oPolo likes this.
  2. linkinworm

linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2008
    Birmingham (England)
    have you even soldered that? you have so much exposed wire also. and the chargers are about $25 aint they? if you found a $10 one i wouldnt trust that to not blow up.

3. rasputin

rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    it should show the polarity of the connector on the charger, I'll have a check on mine later and update. Then you can just check with a multi meter

Last edited by rasputin, Jun 10, 2016
  4. weatMod
    OP

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    not yet i am going to i just set it like that for demonstration purposes for the photo,the wire is like that because I tried to splice the original connector on 1st. But. There was no way i tried sticking a sewing needle in the connector cause the red wire had zero slack as you can see from the photo ,i will post another photo when i am finished

EDIT: yeah sorry had to screw it together quick the spring mechanism had to be held in place after I soldered it so i couldn't take a pic of my crappy soldering job

And yes I was planning on a ten dollar used original Nintendo charger used from lamestop so i would have trusted it fine

it doesn't ,i'm talking about the wires inside the cable where i cut the end off ,
    i assume red is positive,black is negative, inside the wiiu cradle it says on the back of the PCB where the connector is "black ground" , "red DCOUT"
    not really sure how to set the multimeter to read polarity
    looking at the traces on the under side of the PCB inside the cradle looks like ground is to the pin on the right as well as the outside of the connector pin on the left is +
    sems elementary unless for some reason they used different colors in the inside of the charger cable

Last edited by weatMod, Jun 12, 2016
  5. rasputin

rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    you can check the polarity on the multimeter when checking voltage, it will give a negative reading when the wrong way round

i'm slightly unsure of what your doing, but if it says black is ground on the cradle pcb and you can see which pin the black wire goes to, you can test it there with your multimeter

i would test my cradle for you but i have no idea where it is

weatMod likes this.
  6. weatMod
    OP

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    thanks ,yeah i already figured out how to test polarity with the meter it was exactly as i expected
    got everything working great ,i somehow managed to have the spring fall out and couldn't figure out where it went ,wrestled with it for a while then gave up but then somehow when i put it together it still springs back and is working pretty normally now

so if anyone does this be sure to be careful not to up upset the spring it is really tiny and you will never figure out how to get it back in or where it goes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by weatMod, Jun 12, 2016
    rasputin likes this.