Hardware Seems like N3DS suffers from the same 128GB problem as 3DS

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is rather annoying, especially since I already have about 45GB worth of eShop games on my SD card.

I had bought a 128GB SD for my 3DS XL to upgrade the 64GB I was previously using. I formatted it as FAT32 and copied all the data to it... only to find out that the card seemed to be slower to initialize and as a result, would never have the theme I selected.

Testing it with basic (blue), I'd set the theme, turn the console off and back on, and it was back to "no theme". On the original 3DS XL, at least it would EVENTUALLY have the blue theme after I put it in sleep mode a few times.

So I just tested it with the N3DS XL, using the 128GB MicroSD card I use for my Android phone. It's also FAT32, and I know the speed of the card is not the problem as it's UHS-1 standard (which means it's even higher than Class 10)

This time it was even worse, I selected basic (blue), opened system settings and went back to the home menu and the theme actually changed itself back to "no theme"! Opening and closing the lid several times didn't help.

What gives? You'd think with the N3DS being better than the original they would have fixed that stupid problem where cards above 64GB work fine with everything but themes...

nanika

文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Themes only started for the release of the New 3DS and its faceplates, so it's not like they were around before it.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There could be compatibility issues. Have you tried multiple brands of the same capacity SD and microSD card? And, if the storage cards are being used unofficially, then compatibility can also drop. Nintendo isn't known for using the latest and greatest hardware, so my guess would be that the higher the capacity of the (micro)SD card the fewer available compatible cards. When purchasing higher capacity SD / micro SD cards it would be wise to stick with a top quality card.

I see Sandisk just released about to release the first 200 GB microSDXC card, wow.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, the card's perfectly legit, I paid almost $200 for the thing back when those first came out.

Bought it on Amazon, it's a Sandisk one. I've had it since those were first introduced to the market.

It's not like I have a bunch of these cards lying around to test, 128GB MicroSDs are really expensive! I have two 128GB full-size SDs and the one Micro for my phone. Both full SDs have the same problem in my 3DS XL (and literally, I went from a 64GB Patriot Memory UHS1 to a 128GB Patriot Memory UHS1, same card but twice the size) have this problem - and the MicroSD in an adapter (and then natively in the N3DSXL) does it too.

Has anyone here actually gotten themes to work on a 128GB card, if so what kind?

As far as I know, the 3DS only "officially" supports up to 32GB because that's the extent of "SDHC." But 64 works just fine.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, the card's perfectly legit, I paid almost $200 for the thing back when those first came out.

Bought it on Amazon, it's a Sandisk one. I've had it since those were first introduced to the market.

It's not like I have a bunch of these cards lying around to test, 128GB MicroSDs are really expensive! I have two 128GB full-size SDs and the one Micro for my phone. Both full SDs have the same problem in my 3DS XL (and literally, I went from a 64GB Patriot Memory UHS1 to a 128GB Patriot Memory UHS1, same card but twice the size) have this problem - and the MicroSD in an adapter (and then natively in the N3DSXL) does it too.

Has anyone here actually gotten themes to work on a 128GB card, if so what kind?

As far as I know, the 3DS only "officially" supports up to 32GB because that's the extent of "SDHC." But 64 works just fine.

it could be the ultra high speed causing the trouble but who knows, i never have any problem with themes and i use custom themes too
i only have a 16gb card but i do notice one problem though when i reboot to emunand all the items i have put into folders or most of them anyways are out of th folders again and on the main home menu again so maybe it's just bug, are you using GW or just a stock unmodified system?

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UHS1 and Class 10 cards have the same minimum speed. UHS1 should be backwards compatible with devices that are compatible with Class 10 at the least. Maybe Nintendo will add better compatibility in a future update. Maybe even call Nintendo and express your opinion about their product compatibility with UHS1.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I figured it out.

It has to do with formatting, something about the "chunk size". You know how when you format a device in Windows, it asks if you want to use the default or a custom value? Other formatting utilities don't always ask, and it turns out the older version of GParted I used to format the card as FAT32 had the chunk size set too high.

I reformatted it using the HP USB Disk Utility and it works fine. Copied all my files back from the backup I made and the themes work properly :)

Reactions: thorasgar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: i am 28 :cry: