Hacking Seeking some Neek assistance

Jester_Jokester

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, So I just recently dug out my Wii and started to soft mod it, I am fairly beginner but I seem to keep running into roadblocks as I go so I figured its about time to make an account and ask for assistance. I lurked before and just tried to do it from tutorials but sadly I think I finally fallen in over my head on the issue. derp.

Anyway, So, Feel free to grill me fore being that newbie who spent hours pecking the wrong thing. My goal was to run Paper Mario, with the VC channel. So I set out and started Compiling stuff, such as Home Brewed, USB loader Gx, Collected the wads, Installed nintendon't (for GCN and Wii backups), Priiloader, and d2x cIOS installer. I was successful in loaded around 40 wii channels from VC I previously owned. However the one I wanted to play paper mario kept freezing. So i researched and found it wants a neek shell or whatever. Sadly I have no idea and I feel a bit overwhelmed from trying to set this all up in a few hours and finding lots of conflicting information.

So I guess I am gonna boil it down to How do I set up Neek and get me playing my childhood classic.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello,

I understand you already can play VC and Wiiware on an emuNAND setup. (not on your real nand, because all game should work, so I'll guess you use emuNAND).

Neek is a different way to launch your existing emuNAND setup. it's additional files you have to put on your SD card or USB, and it'll cohabit with your existing setup.
By default, using the "cIOS mode" emuNAND is faster and easier, I recommend you use neek only for games not working like paper mario, or castlevania rebirth.

neek is unfortunately using one of the official system file of the console, and therefore can't be shared directly due to copyright.
you'll have to generate the needed file yourself.

I wrote two guides, using two different methods.
Main emuNAND guide
neek file generated with modmii and other info.
neek file generated with another tool, and other info.

all 3 guides might have conflicting parts, because they were written for different reason, different users, at different time.
I recommend you read the main guide first to understand what neek is, and what you'll need to do.
I also recommend to never start following a guide before reading it fully, and preferably understanding why you do the things it tells you to do.

the quick steps are :
- generate neek file based on the device you placed your emuNAND to (Sneek for SD, Uneek for USB). Do not enable "+di" option until you know why you want it, and are sure neek is working without it.
- copy the "copy to sd" folder content to SD, if you generated Sneek.
- copy the "copy to usb" folder content to USB, if you generated Uneek. It'll also generate a "copy to SD" folder for uneek, but USBLoaderGX doesn't require these files.

you should have this on the same partition:
/sneek/ <-- sneek folder with sneek file in it
/nands/nand1/ <--- your emuNAND folder here. note that you might need subfolders "sd:/nand/" is not always working. "sd:/nand/blabla/" is working

then, setup usbloadergx to use neek for the non working game.
select VC paper mario> settings > game option > emuNAND mode : neek
save and launch it.

when you run neek, the console reboots into a full redirected environment. if you exit your game, you'll not return to the loader, but to a redirected system menu. you are still in neek emuNAND mode, except the entire system menu is "emulated", not just the game you are playing.
to really exit back to real system NAND, you need to reboot the console.

Last edited by Cyan,

Jester_Jokester

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice! Thanks for the detailed response I will get to work on this when I can. Seems I did misread a few things, maybe in my excitement to play my old favorites haha. I purchased them originally and they are on my Wii U, I was a dummy and sent my Wii U over seas so I don't have access anymore lol. Thanks agian dude!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I hope you'll understand what you have to do, like I said it's not a nice/single guide, but 3 different ones I used as references. there might be things not easy to understand.
be sure to follow the main guide as priority (the other guides should only serves to cover the neek file generation, no more!)
and don't try to do things by yourself, or using tools you prefer, the guide is written with specific file/version in mind :)

you can update modmii or USBLoaderGX, the steps should be the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: