Hacking Seeking some clarity with autoRCM

paulttt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm currently happily running kosmos with emummc. I have a clean sysnand running 9.0.1, and emummc running 8.1 I believe.

It's getting a little bothersome to continue using a jig, especially being as I have lost 2 already :D

Is it "safe" to use autorcm with my setup? I say "safe" as I know that a ban risk still exists, however I just want to make sure I'm not going to brick my switch by using it.

mav2010

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The chance of bricking your Switch is near zero. I have not read for a long time that Switches bricked due to AutoRCM topics. This was only true in the early days of Switch hacking.

Reactions: paulttt

paulttt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The chance of bricking your Switch is near zero. I have not read for a long time that Switches bricked due to AutoRCM topics. This was only true in the early days of Switch hacking.

Cheers for the reply, I feel the early days of modding is what's putting doubt in my mind. I seem to recall that there were multiple "AutoRCM" methods, but were not interchangeable. So if autorcm was invoked with "app a", you couldn't reverse it with "app b" for example.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Cheers for the reply, I feel the early days of modding is what's putting doubt in my mind. I seem to recall that there were multiple "AutoRCM" methods, but were not interchangeable. So if autorcm was invoked with "app a", you couldn't reverse it with "app b" for example.
I think all apps do it the same way now but even if they didn't all you would have to do is restore boot0/1. Iirc these are not console unique so although it would be illegal it would be possible to remove it by downloading someone else's copy if you were ever unable to undo Autorcm with a tool like hekate.
Edit: As Lacius pointed out I'm wrong. I was thinking of those files Mattytrog made.

Last edited by CompSciOrBust,
Reactions: paulttt

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently happily running kosmos with emummc. I have a clean sysnand running 9.0.1, and emummc running 8.1 I believe.

It's getting a little bothersome to continue using a jig, especially being as I have lost 2 already :D

Is it "safe" to use autorcm with my setup? I say "safe" as I know that a ban risk still exists, however I just want to make sure I'm not going to brick my switch by using it.
It's relatively safe to use AutoRCM, yes. BCT-verification doesn't occur in Horizon, so the installation of AutoRCM is highly unlikely to be detected. As long as you only use CFW with your emuNAND, you should be fine.

I think all apps do it the same way now but even if they didn't all you would have to do is restore boot0/1. Iirc these are not console unique so although it would be illegal it would be possible to remove it by downloading someone else's copy if you were ever unable to undo Autorcm with a tool like hekate.
Part of BOOT0/1 is console-specific and should be backed up.

deltamind106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're not going to brick your switch by using a modern Auto-RCM enabler.

The most inconvenient thing about Auto-RCM is the battery usage. Basically with Auto-RCM enabled it becomes very inconvenient to turn your switch completely off such that you can leave it unplugged for a couple weeks. Just holding the power button for a few seconds and then selecting power-off doesn't entirely work-- your switch is "mostly" powered off but you will find your battery dead if you leave it like that for a couple weeks. This is not a problem if you always leave your console in the dock or otherwise plugged into the charger. The only way around this is to use one of the well-known payloads to power off your switch, which is inconvenient but does work.

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not going to brick your switch by using a modern Auto-RCM enabler.

The most inconvenient thing about Auto-RCM is the battery usage. Basically with Auto-RCM enabled it becomes very inconvenient to turn your switch completely off such that you can leave it unplugged for a couple weeks. Just holding the power button for a few seconds and then selecting power-off doesn't entirely work-- your switch is "mostly" powered off but you will find your battery dead if you leave it like that for a couple weeks. This is not a problem if you always leave your console in the dock or otherwise plugged into the charger. The only way around this is to use one of the well-known payloads to power off your switch, which is inconvenient but does work.

This depends on the used CFW. Atmosphere does shutdown your Switch completely, when powered off through the power button menu.

oleole

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering the same thing!
I've just hacked my old switch too.
I'm currently using a jig + rcm loader each time I switch on my console.
So I gather that if I enable auto rcm and I switch it off from emummc created with Atmosphere: the battery won't be used while off and I can forget about the jig ?
Since this subjet is new to me, what happens if the battery dries out while in RCM ? I've read that it's problematic to charge it ?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I was wondering the same thing!
I've just hacked my old switch too.
I'm currently using a jig + rcm loader each time I switch on my console.
So I gather that if I enable auto rcm and I switch it off from emummc created with Atmosphere: the battery won't be used while off and I can forget about the jig ?
Since this subjet is new to me, what happens if the battery dries out while in RCM ? I've read that it's problematic to charge it ?
No AutoRCM is fine and safe today. CFWs have long ago fixed the issue where a shutdown wasn't a proper shutdown. Now it will turn off as it's suppose to.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thank you. What about the charge question ? Still an issue or not?
if it is completely drained (happens to me once in a while) it's just to plug it in. It will charge in RCM mode but it will only slow charge mostly. But once it got to like 5% juice you can boot it up with a dongle or such, start your CFW and them quickly plugin your charger cable.That's what I do.

Reactions: PhyChris

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had a scare because mine fully drained and wasn't charging enough to turn on after several hours, but I found that if you hold the power button for 20 seconds then it managed to fully charge in that time.

While CFW does shut it down now, I think if you plug it back into power without booting it then it will leave it in RCM draining the battery.

Last edited by smf,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

-snip-

Last edited by tivu100,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey