Hardware Securities analyst- Wii U "competitive position has deteriorated&#

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

An analyst in Japan with Macquarie Capital Securities does not see a bright future for Wii U

Wii U will launch later this year (one rumored date points to November 18) and Nintendo is hoping to make a big splash with the system this year at E3 in June. Many questions about the console's capabilities still linger, however, and one analyst in Japan is not too optimistic about Wii U's long-term prospects.

David Gibson at Macquarie Capital Securities (Japan) Limited has downgraded Nintendo stock to "underperform" and remarked that there are "increasingly problematic structural problems for the company."

Gibson assigned a target price of ¥10,000 and noted that "if Nintendo went iOS/Android with games we think the stock could be worth ¥20,000+, but in our view that's not going to happen."

Ultimately, Gibson said the "competitive position of the WiiU has deteriorated" and he advises avoiding Nintendo stock until E3.

Gibson outlined three potentially big problems for Nintendo:

Wii U GPU is less powerful than Xbox360/PS3 according to developers, which means it has no edge besides the tablet interface to attract core users. Initial third-party titles are likely to be only ports from Xbox360/PS3 titles. A bundled WiiSports/Mario title may help initial sales beat Wii launch, but Wii was severely production-constrained and the surprise factor from Wii U is less.

iPad with its retina display shows where Apple is taking its 4 screen infrastructure, leaving Wii U less connected and less relevant. The GPU processing power for handsets is reaching consoles such that we think core gamers have no interest in buying into the Wii U. Apple might add in a controller to its line-up to be more attractive to core users. MocoSpace survey shows that 96% of gamers like to play their games at home, and with a better infrastructure we think iOS will be able to deliver a single game experience across four screens that Nintendo cannot.

Wii U will have 1-year window to gain installed base before PS4 (Orbis) and then Xbox Durango launch in late 2013. At that point, the core gamer that Nintendo is after for the first time will have no interest in Wii U. We understand that Activision has no plans to support Wii U, which means the biggest selling title of Call of Duty will be missing; Konami is also planning minimal support.

On that last point, we reached out to Activision, and the official answer is that the publisher hasn't made any announcements about Wii U support. Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg has said multiple times that Wii U would more closely align with the types of games Activision makes, but we'll see how that translates into support from the company.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-05-wii-u-competitive-position-has-deteriorated

So it begins :)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna post the same image from my first post in the "Wii U is shit" thread because it expresses the same feelings here:

YesJackNicholson.gif

Reactions: 6 people

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't some other "professional analyzer" say essentially "This platform is doomed" for literally EVERY system ever released?

Yes.

I don't see how this is news, it happens with literally every console and handheld release.

Reactions: 1 person

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm skipping on the Wii U. But I find it funny investors are jumping ship based on rumors. What happened to games not being about specs? Some people with their e-peens these days I swear....

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't some other "professional analyzer" say essentially "This platform is doomed" for literally EVERY system ever released?

Yes.

I don't see how this is news, it happens with literally every console and handheld release.
This. I've heard the same about all the recent consoles / handhelds. IIRC the Vita, 3DS and even the Wii were 'doomed to fail'

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is just against current gen, Wii U is gonna get bashed so hard against the next Playstation and Xbox in the next few years or so. I don't think a controller with a screen can save them this time like motion controls did.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just against current gen, Wii U is gonna get bashed so hard against the next Playstation and Xbox in the next few years or so. I don't think a controller with a screen can save them this time like motion controls did.

You can tell shit is on like Donkey Kong when heartgold's doubting a Nintendo product.

Reactions: 5 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Okay, whenever I read "Console X will not sell because Apple..." I immediately reject whatever preceded that statement.

Whoever you are, get medical help. Now. There's something wrong with your head, Japanese Analyst Guy.

Reactions: 8 people

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is like the fifty-millionth time some idiot has said that some tablet is going to take down Nintendo, seriously industry speculation is bull, remember the imminent 3DS failure?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I just got 2 mig switch in the mail today
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    now I have 3 mig switch. going to return these 2 to aliexpress tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gonna love it when the next update blocks them
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @realtimesave why did you get several MIG?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father