Secure Firmware

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Another World, May 4, 2008.

May 4, 2008

Secure Firmware by Another World at 5:13 AM (1,726 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    I recently read that Nintendo did eventually secure the firmware from malicious code. My question is which firmwares are secure and how can you check?

Cheers,
    -AW

2. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    Its not firmware it is hardware. The amount of code that can be written with out bridging the SL1 connection is about 50/50 on early DS phats. When the lite came out, they changed the ratio to 75/25 meaning on 25% of FW could be written without bridging the points.
    However, both had enough unprotected firmware area that a program can over write that area an brick the DS without the user doing anything moe than running the bricker.
    Now, the ratio is 85/15 or even 95/5. This means that the only part of the firmware that can be written is the part that stores WIFI information. Iif you run a bricker, it merely erases your WiFi data, unless you are bridging SL1, then you will have a brick.

3. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    The newer DS lites are safe from bricking. The only thing can an be written to the firmware is the data/time, wifi, ect settings and thats it. The firmware itself is safe from tampering, the most you would lose is your current settings.

At any rate, the number of bricked DS's now a days are quite low, theres haven't been a recorded case of a malicious bricker for a while now and it seems that when a DS does get bricked, its due to someone messing with the SL1 connection and installing a custom Firmware.

As long as you download your games and homebrew from credible sources, theres little to no risk from getting your DS bricked no matter what version it is. Also to be on a same side, I suggest using a Rom manager/auditor like OfflineList that keeps tracks of the roms and verifies them as clean dumps.

4. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    thanks for the info.

there is no way to tell if my ds has exposed firmware or not? also with the newer systems does that mean flashme can no longer be installed?

thanks,
    -aw

5. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Exposed firmware? :wtf:

You can check which version of the firmware you're running by running pictochat and ejecting the slot one, but the table is somewhere in wikipedia. (Something ds related)

And no, flashme can't not be no longer installed, in other words yes, you can still install flashme [​IMG]

6. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    if only the wifi area of the firmware is rewritable in the new ndses how can flashme be installed? am i to understand that if you bridge the sl1 then you can overwrite and replace the entire firmware. without doing so code can only rewrite the wifi portion, correct?

and yes exposed -- exposed to malicious code.

i'm not paranoid or worried in any way, i am simply trying to understand the method of the end result.

paul: the new hardware comes with it a new unwritable firmware, so wouldn't that mean that with updated (new) ndses it is still a firmware question and not a hardware question? or are you saying that the new ndses have new hardware that protects older exposed firmware blocks? so the firmware has not changed only a way to protect it inside the hardware has?

narin: i do verify my sources and i'm sitting pretty as to where i'm getting stuff =). again i'm not worried for my own ds i am just curious and trying to understand something i read online about flashme and newer firmware builds.

-another world

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    You have ALWAYS had to bridge SL-1 in order to install FlashMe so you could overwrite the write-protected portion of the firmware. Newer DS Lites merely protect more of the firmware under the SL-1 contact. The only difference is that when installing FlashMe you have to bridge the contact for a greater portion of the flashing process.

So yes, without bridging SL-1 a bricker can only destroy the parts of the firmware that aren't protected by it. In older DS systems there was enough unprotected to brick the DS if this happened. Newer DS Lites leave only the user settings and Wifi settings unexposed, so you could run the bricker and still have a working DS Lite. The firmware itself hasn't changed (at least not that we can tell).