Hacking Secret NES Golf game on the Switch. A tribute to Mr. Satoru Iwata.

• Thread starter Deleted-368796
  • Start date
  • Views 18,120
  • Replies 53
  • Likes 26
D

Deleted-368796

OP

As many of you have heard by now, there is a secret NES game built into the Nintendo Switch.
We speculate that Nintendo hid it there as a tribute to Mr. Satoru Iwata who passed away on July 11th, 2015.

It is currently unknown why this game was placed in the Switch, since it was never revealed or hinted to by anyone.
Some of us feel that the secret game could be an easter egg which might be revealed in the future. Either way, I have the highest respect for Nintendo placing this in the Switch to honor a legend that brought about some of the best moments gaming has ever known.

We miss you Mr. Iwata.

If you weren't crying enough already... http://gbatemp.net/threads/secret-n...ibute-to-mr-satoru-iwata.484536/#post-7586552

Here are the current conditions that need to be met to launch the Golf game:
1) System date and time must be set to July 11th.
2) Must be on the Home Screen
3) Remove the joycons from the system
4) You must make the iconic Iwata "Direct to you" hand motion to activate it. (hand motion detailed below)

Current unknown conditions
- Set date year (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018) may not matter
- Firmware may need to be on 1.0.0 (speculation that the game was removed in later firmwares)
- You may need to have a Switch that was never connected to the internet before. Once the Switch makes network contact, it will automatically pull some files for date/time which may hinder access to the game, even if you set the date back to July 11th.

How to activate the Golf game:
1) Turn on your Switch. Go to the System Settings menu and set the date to July 11th.
2) Return to the home screen.
3) Remove your joycons
4) Hold left joycon in left hand, hold right joycon in right hand. Hold them with the buttons on each joycon facing opposing directions, away from your body. Place both hands down beside your legs.
5) You will lift your hands to your chest at a moderate speed, then directly away from your body. When you move the joycons forward away from you, the attachment rails on each joycon should be facing your body.
6) Golf will launch.

Video is up. Notice it is quite difficult to get the motions just right. Both hands need to make the same motion and the same time. The window to activate this seems pretty small to me. Took several tries before I got it working, even after activating it a number of times already.
I will also update this post with any additional info we discover. And add credits to who all found this hidden gem.

Credits go to @Setery for initially notifying us that the game showed up on his Switch.
Also credits go to @yellows8 and @ScriesM for looking into what activated the game. From this, the community was able to figure out how to launch it.
(if I missed anyone, please shout out and let me know to add them)

Last edited by ,

llefty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What version is your system on?

edit: nevermind, I saw your reply in the other thread right after posting this.

Last edited by llefty,

llefty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on 1.0.0
Can everyone please try this on other firmwares? Maybe it is not limited to 1.0.0 after all.
I think a lot of people have been trying these same gestures for a while, and there haven't been any reports of them getting it to work. Also, to my knowledge, nobody has been able to get it to work more than once.

I may have just skipped over if you said this somewhere, but has your Switch ever been connected to the internet?

D

Deleted-368796

OP
I would really rather make a nicer video than this, but someone is going to have a stroke if I don't upload something VERY soon.
Being that this is the first video I have ever uploaded, I'd like it to be somewhat decent. That and the fact that it was meant to honor a man that put his life into this industry.
That said, I think I will just upload what I have currently. Not what I would like, but need to get this out there for people to see.

Give me a few hours. I need to make a YT account. Also the video is about 250mb, so that is going to take me a bit of time to upload.
I'll report back with an update after it is complete.

Reactions: davidAIR

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I would really rather make a nicer video than this, but someone is going to have a stroke if I don't upload something VERY soon.
Being that this is the first video I have ever uploaded, I'd like it to be somewhat decent. That and the fact that it was meant to honor a man that put his life into this industry.
That said, I think I will just upload what I have currently. Not what I would like, but need to get this out there for people to see.

Give me a few hours. I need to make a YT account. Also the video is about 250mb, so that is going to take me a bit of time to upload.
That was actually VERY good. I wouldn't change a thing. Well done.

Reactions: peteruk

llefty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I apologize for doubting you on this! The vid is extremely well-done, nice job!

You might also want to make a post about this with the video on the /r/NintendoSwitch subreddit before someone else does and cash in on the karma. :D

Last edited by llefty,

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think this is a perfect video, no need to do anything else. This is living proof to those that don't believe and it shows the process. I was doing the hand gesture wrong the whole time haha. Thank you.

Reactions: llefty and peteruk

delete12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perfect, let it be known on every July 11th, we show this Youtube video.

R836VUq.png

Last edited by delete12345,
D

Deleted-368796

OP
It's on page 1 dood. People will see that when scrolling down to go to the next page, while having to wipe away the tears to see the next page button.
The initial post is already kinda lengthy. Adding that image would make it too long I think. Don't want to make people scroll to read the OP for such an important event.
If I can figure out how to link an individual post, I will add that in.

delete12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's on page 1 dood. People will see that when scrolling down to go to the next page, while having to wipe away the tears to see the next page button.
The initial post is already kinda lengthy. Adding that image would make it too long I think. Don't want to make people scroll to read the OP for such an important event.
If I can figure out how to link an individual post, I will add that in.

I think you can attach the image as an attachment, and then it should be good. Another way is to set the width of the image a la vie CSS styles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended