Hardware Second day with my 3DS and I already found something odd.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PAL 3DS, i have one
No such thing as a PAL 3DS. PAL refers to a TV signal type, you meant to say EUR, which refers to the region.

xbox 360 games are PAL (EUR), NTSC (USA) and NTSC-J (JAP)
so it is kinda regional also
No, it's not. PAL and NTSC are modes of TV signal, they have nothing to do with Region Locks whatsoever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL#PAL_vs._NTSC

PAL and NTSC are expressions only used when we're dealing with a TV signal, the 3DS is not a home console nor does it connect to a TV, thus we cannot say it's PAL or NTSC.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
PAL 3DS, i have one
No such thing as a PAL 3DS. PAL refers to a TV signal type, you meant to say EUR, which refers to the region.

so it is kinda regional also
No, it's not. PAL and NTSC are modes of TV signal, they have nothing to do with Region Locks whatsoever.

http://en.wikipedia....AL#PAL_vs._NTSC

PAL and NTSC are expressions only used when we're dealing with a TV signal, the 3DS is not a home console nor does it connect to a TV, thus we cannot say it's PAL or NTSC.

Xbox Games in UK and Eur have the Region marked as PAL
and USA games have the region marked as NTSC
JAP games have marked as NTSC-J

3DS are also marked like this also

http://www.play-asia...uide-49-en.html
Xbox compatibilty marked regions

3DS regions marked also
NTSC: http://www.play-asia...en-70-45ko.html
PAL: http://www.play-asia...en-70-4k5n.html
NTSC-J: http://www.play-asia...en-70-4k2m.html

on topic:

my zelda 3ds, Black 3ds dont have this either

im sure nintendo have a stash to replace problem ones for all the models

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Play-Asia is a store - not exactly an authority in technology now, is it? PAL, NTSC and SECAM are TV encoding systems, they're not regions, they never were regions. The fact that Europe happens to be using PAL encoding and the US happens to be using NTSC is completely irrelevant and coincidental. That said, 3DS'es, and any other handheld consoles that are not connectible to a TV for that matter, are NOT PAL nor NTSC. There is no arguing here, it's a fact, let it sink in.

Reactions: 1 person

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

Play-Asia is a store - not exactly an authority in technology now, is it? PAL, NTSC and SECAM are TV encoding systems, they're not regions, they never were regions. The fact that Europe happens to be using PAL encoding and the US happens to be using NTSC is completely irrelevant and coincidental. That said, 3DS'es, and any other handheld consoles that are not connectible to a TV for that matter, are NOT PAL nor NTSC. There is no arguing here, it's a fact, let it sink in.

its printed on the boxes of games

feel free to go check them

be them Playstation, Nintendo, Xbox

region is stated as PAL, NTSC or NTSC-J

people worldwide refer to a PAL consoles as UK and Europe, NTSC consoles as USA and NTSC-J as Japan consoles

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
*grabs a DS game box* Nnnope, it's not PAL...
*grabs a PSP game box* Nnnnope, this doesn't appear to be PAL either...

I refuse to continue this conversation, you don't seem to understand what I mean. Home consoles are connected to a TV and encode their signal to the appropriet encoding used in a given region. Handheld consoles do not, because you don't connect them to a TV. Regardless of that, they may be Region Locked, like the 3DS. That's as clear as I can state this.

PSP and DS games are region free so there wouldnt be any marking now would there

assuming you found it on others

oh look whats that in top right of these boxes

Halo3-odst-case.jpg
X360_HALO_3_ODST.jpg

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country

I refuse to continue this conversation, you don't seem to understand what I mean. Home consoles are connected to a TV and encode their signal to the appropriet encoding used in a given region. Handheld consoles do not, because you don't connect them to a TV. Regardless of that, they may be Region Locked, like the 3DS. That's as clear as I can state this.

PSP and DS games are region free so there wouldnt be any marking now would there

Halo3-odst-case.jpg
X360_HALO_3_ODST.jpg
Assuming I'm not wrong, they have the PAL and NTSC because they are for a home console which connects to a tv. A 3DS/PSP does NOT.

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

Halo3-odst-case.jpg
X360_HALO_3_ODST.jpg
Assuming I'm not wrong, they have the PAL and NTSC because they are for a home console which connects to a tv. A 3DS/PSP does NOT.

but people refer to UK, EU & AU as PAL region
even on 3DS

http://en.wikipedia....28PAL_region%29

UK games code are not EUR there UKV

but still work on all PAL 3DS consoles

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Halo3-odst-case.jpg
X360_HALO_3_ODST.jpg

No, pong, really...

Back of a 3DS game case says "For 3DS systems sold in the Americas only". NOWHERE does it say NTSC. If it WAS an NTSC game, it would HAVE to have the NTSC designation on the case so people knew what signal type they were buying for! BUT the 3DS is NOT a TV!!!

Just because people refer to UK/EU/AU as PAL doesn't mean that they're RIGHT, because they're NOT. Games for home consoles have to designate NTSC, NTSC-J, or PAL on their covers so people don't buy a game that is incompatible with their TV, because certain TV's only display certain signals. NTSC is a signal, NOT a region. PAL is a signal, NOT a region. (the fact that consoles can typically only play games from one region, and thus typically only use one signal type, is irrelevant.)

Tell me a single proper handheld game release that has its region designated as NTSC or PAL. Show me a single proper release by a major group that has a signal type as the region designation and I will shut my mouth.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I already told you, the Xbox360 is a home console, games are marked according to which signal type they were developed for, the box you showed is for a PAL XBox360 which has to be connected to a PAL television set, that much is correct, but does not apply to handheld consoles, never has. Refer to Plasma's post. PAL. NTSC and NTSC-J "region" is simply a way to simplify the division for gamer. Look at DVD movies for instance - they too are divided into PAL and NTSC DVD's, but they're Region Locked to more then just that - Region Locks and Video Mode have little to do with eachother.

This is also a reason why most handhelds are developed Region Free while home consoles usually have restrictions. Designers choose to just lock the system into one of the three most common regions rather then explain to customers for hours that their European PS3 will not run a game bought in North America, what as we've seen takes a whole lot of time, so they slap a big "PAL" on it, restrict the use of discs other then from the correct region and get on with it.

With handheld consoles such a technological restriction does not exist, that's why including a Region Lock is completely artificial and doesn't have much sense from a technological standpoint - it's a matter of marketing. Companies don't want you to import games simply because they want to balance sales for all of their branches across the world, simple as that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s