OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.TheGamersInsight.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello all! I came from a couple of the subreddits about nintendo switch and They kinda shut me down there when I was asking about housings and buttons/painting tactics for customizing my switch housing, dock, and joycons...

All I am trying to figure out from people is if anyone knows of where to find some custom buttons or colored buttons for the joycons or cheap joycon housings? I can seem to find SOME housings on amazon but others i've ordered that claimed to be housings, was only silicon "slip cases".

I am also having little to NO luck finding replacement buttons, or different colored buttons.

Does anyone happen to have a one-stop place for the majority of this stuff thats reliable?

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are Housings and Buttons on Amazon. Only thing is, be VERY careful when taking the Joycons apart. I replaced all the Buttons on mine, and for some reason the L Button would sometimes get stuck, or the Joycons would disconnect for no reason.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello all! I came from a couple of the subreddits about nintendo switch and They kinda shut me down there when I was asking about housings and buttons/painting tactics for customizing my switch housing, dock, and joycons...

All I am trying to figure out from people is if anyone knows of where to find some custom buttons or colored buttons for the joycons or cheap joycon housings? I can seem to find SOME housings on amazon but others i've ordered that claimed to be housings, was only silicon "slip cases".

I am also having little to NO luck finding replacement buttons, or different colored buttons.

Does anyone happen to have a one-stop place for the majority of this stuff thats reliable?
The replacement shells often come with SNES colored ABXY buttons as well. You can find them on AliExpress, or as you mentioned, Amazon.

Superthrust

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.TheGamersInsight.com
XP
Country
United States
There are Housings and Buttons on Amazon. Only thing is, be VERY careful when taking the Joycons apart. I replaced all the Buttons on mine, and for some reason the L Button would sometimes get stuck, or the Joycons would disconnect for no reason.

Thank you! I will be doing my dock first to kinda get back into the groove of messing around with tiny electronics and ribbons. I used to do a bit of iphone and ipod dabbling in the past and lots of laptop and camera repair, so i kinda got my bearings on it a bit.

I have looked on amazon, but the main buttons I only ever see are the red, yellow, blue and green ones like the SNES buttons...are there any ways to get just solid button colors, with indented letters? (kinda like these EDIT: it wont let me post an image link apparently...) The solid colors would work because it would match more closely to a color scheme I am trying to pull off...

The replacement shells often come with SNES colored ABXY buttons as well. You can find them on AliExpress, or as you mentioned, Amazon.

Yeah, i see the SNES ones, but as i mentioned above, I am kinda looking for just the simple solid colors and whatnot, preferable with indentations of what buttons each of them are for, rather than painting it on and making it look like comic sans lol...

I am trying to do a mexican flag themed switch...but if all else fails, maybe do one for my fiance with a Teal & White combo...

Also, related...i gotta find a deal on a Cricut vinyl cutter or learn how to make stencils and properly paint them onto my switch or joycons... :(

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you! I will be doing my dock first to kinda get back into the groove of messing around with tiny electronics and ribbons. I used to do a bit of iphone and ipod dabbling in the past and lots of laptop and camera repair, so i kinda got my bearings on it a bit.

I have looked on amazon, but the main buttons I only ever see are the red, yellow, blue and green ones like the SNES buttons...are there any ways to get just solid button colors, with indented letters? (kinda like these EDIT: it wont let me post an image link apparently...) The solid colors would work because it would match more closely to a color scheme I am trying to pull off...

Yeah, i see the SNES ones, but as i mentioned above, I am kinda looking for just the simple solid colors and whatnot, preferable with indentations of what buttons each of them are for, rather than painting it on and making it look like comic sans lol...

I am trying to do a mexican flag themed switch...but if all else fails, maybe do one for my fiance with a Teal & White combo...

Also, related...i gotta find a deal on a Cricut vinyl cutter or learn how to make stencils and properly paint them onto my switch or joycons... :(
I figured it wouldn't matter if you're planning on painting them anyway.
This one looks like it does have indentations on all the buttons: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33056655110.html
Interesting color, but you can just paint over that.
Edit: Or here in black, from the same seller: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33011342715.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.4.6a322332E8Cye9
They also sell just the buttons in many colors: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000115426675.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.2.6a322332E8Cye9

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Tafty

Trophies
XP
Country
i got some myrian replacements off eBay, and there soft touch(rubberised) and honestly there better then the official shells, be careful with the screws, its really easy to cross thread them and snap them, i ended up reusing the official screws rather then the cheap ones that came with the shells.

Superthrust

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.TheGamersInsight.com
XP
Country
United States
I figured it wouldn't matter if you're planning on painting them anyway.
This one looks like it does have indentations on all the buttons: link removed due to new member, wont let me post links :(
Interesting color, but you can just paint over that.
Edit: Or here in black, from the same seller: link removed due to new member, wont let me post links :(
They also sell just the buttons in many colors: link removed due to new member, wont let me post links :(

have you had good luck with Ali Express? I heard about them but was curious about ordering. I dont really plan on painting the buttons, but the little indentations in the buttons, if they have little letters or arrows embossed in them or "punched out" of the buttons, Id want to try to lightly fill them with a gray or white or something, depending on the button color...know what i mean?

i got some myrian replacements off eBay, and there soft touch(rubberised) and honestly there better then the official shells, be careful with the screws, its really easy to cross thread them and snap them, i ended up reusing the official screws rather then the cheap ones that came with the shells.

I think i got some soft touch ones on the way...they are RUBBERIZED?! That might cause me some issues with sanding/painting, wont it? If I buy shells, I am mainly wanting them as 'blanks' for my own sanding/painting, unless anyone knows of a way to get 3d printed shells, buttons, etc. that I can easily paint...?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
have you had good luck with Ali Express? I heard about them but was curious about ordering. I dont really plan on painting the buttons, but the little indentations in the buttons, if they have little letters or arrows embossed in them or "punched out" of the buttons, Id want to try to lightly fill them with a gray or white or something, depending on the button color...know what i mean?

I think i got some soft touch ones on the way...they are RUBBERIZED?! That might cause me some issues with sanding/painting, wont it? If I buy shells, I am mainly wanting them as 'blanks' for my own sanding/painting, unless anyone knows of a way to get 3d printed shells, buttons, etc. that I can easily paint...?
I buy stuff from AliExpress all the time, been pretty happy with it. The JoyCon shells I got there were good quality, almost indistinguishable from original.
Soft touch is just the same type of coating Nintendo applies to the JoyCons I believe. Not actually rubber.

Superthrust

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.TheGamersInsight.com
XP
Country
United States
I buy stuff from AliExpress all the time, been pretty happy with it. The JoyCon shells I got there were good quality, almost indistinguishable from original.
Soft touch is just the same type of coating Nintendo applies to the JoyCons I believe. Not actually rubber.

AHHHHHHH!! okay! I thought it was softtouch rubber, like those little silicone feeling things they use one some of those slip on skins.

Tafty

Trophies
XP
Country

the ones i have are definitely a different texture(feels like rubber hence my original comment) compared to the original ones, but not in a bad way, there super soft and nice to touch, i find the official joy cons abit rough to be honest and ive owned quite a few different sets.

OP, why dont you get a set of the translucent ones? i have some on my other switch and there super smooth, and i would suspect require a lot less prep for paint

Superthrust

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.TheGamersInsight.com
XP
Country
United States
the ones i have are definitely a different texture(feels like rubber hence my original comment) compared to the original ones, but not in a bad way, there super soft and nice to touch, i find the official joy cons abit rough to be honest and ive owned quite a few different sets.

OP, why dont you get a set of the translucent ones? i have some on my other switch and there super smooth, and i would suspect require a lot less prep for paint

I should have read this.

I started taking apart my joycons. Went great. Until I pulled out the wires on the battery plastic plug. Now they don’t sit in there or stay in there and I assume won’t stay connected when the time comes to reconnect it.

I have no way currently to buy a new battery. I’m hosed. And quite sad.

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There are custom paint jobs for joycons services and pre-done ones on eBay

and theres a company that does custom paint jobs for many products including the switch console, controllers and dock etc but you have to buy the products from them no postage service is offer BUT they do excellent work it looks and feels like it came from Nintendo

https://www.colorware.com/categories.aspx

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I should have read this.

I started taking apart my joycons. Went great. Until I pulled out the wires on the battery plastic plug. Now they don’t sit in there or stay in there and I assume won’t stay connected when the time comes to reconnect it.

I have no way currently to buy a new battery. I’m hosed. And quite sad.
I did a similar thing. I pulled the whole connector off the board leaving just 2 metal pins not knowing the connector came apart in 2 pieces and pulled upwards not out. Was able to connect it again, but had to disconnect it again, and still not realizing my mistake, the second time around the pins broke off when I tried to reconnect it.
Added a custom search on eBay for broken JoyCons and checked the results almost daily for a reasonably priced one, took months to find one that was also a left JoyCon that had a working PCB that I could use to fix mine, because no one was selling the PCBs as parts yet. But only ended up paying €12 + shipping for it. Sounds like you just need a battery though, which shouldn't be a problem to find.

Reactions: Superthrust

Superthrust

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.TheGamersInsight.com
XP
Country
United States
I did a similar thing. I pulled the whole connector off the board leaving just 2 metal pins not knowing the connector came apart in 2 pieces and pulled upwards not out. Was able to connect it again, but had to disconnect it again, and still not realizing my mistake, the second time around the pins broke off when I tried to reconnect it.
Added a custom search on eBay for broken JoyCons and checked the results almost daily for a reasonably priced one, took months to find one that was also a left JoyCon that had a working PCB that I could use to fix mine, because no one was selling the PCBs as parts yet. But only ended up paying €12 + shipping for it. Sounds like you just need a battery though, which shouldn't be a problem to find.

yeah the main reason I’m having issues is that I can’t afford the ones I found on amazon to rush them here cause I’m currently on workman’s comp and have no money lol. I was trying to do this little project because it keeps my mind off the pain and gives me something to do that’s crafty with my hands. Plus the connectors are fine. The board is fine. It’s literally the little black plastic connector that is connected to the wires on the battery and plugs Into the board. I wish I knew how to fix it. Even superglue maybe.

______

and to the guy above (on mobile and can’t quote) I know there are painting services. But I wanna try to do it. Cause I know it can be done and look nice. I wanted a custom project that I DID. Not when people ask just say “oh I bought it.” That sucks.

doing a project yourself gets much better results and makes you feel good because you did it for YOURSELF. Get that sense of accomplishment and pride for doing something yourself.

Except I have giant hands and used to fixing much bigger things so I pulled off two wires lol.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
yeah the main reason I’m having issues is that I can’t afford the ones I found on amazon to rush them here cause I’m currently on workman’s comp and have no money lol. I was trying to do this little project because it keeps my mind off the pain and gives me something to do that’s crafty with my hands. Plus the connectors are fine. The board is fine. It’s literally the little black plastic connector that is connected to the wires on the battery and plugs Into the board. I wish I knew how to fix it. Even superglue maybe.

______

and to the guy above (on mobile and can’t quote) I know there are painting services. But I wanna try to do it. Cause I know it can be done and look nice. I wanted a custom project that I DID. Not when people ask just say “oh I bought it.” That sucks.

doing a project yourself gets much better results and makes you feel good because you did it for YOURSELF. Get that sense of accomplishment and pride for doing something yourself.

Except I have giant hands and used to fixing much bigger things so I pulled off two wires lol.
You could solder the wires directly to the board. I didn't want to go that route, but it is a possibility.

Superthrust

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.TheGamersInsight.com
XP
Country
United States
You could solder the wires directly to the board. I didn't want to go that route, but it is a possibility.
SO i got some E6000 and trying to glue it back in. The little connector is still intact and the board connection socket is also in place. its literally the tiny tiny black piece that the wires are connected to ON THE BATTERY SIDE, that came out of the black piece.

I wish i could post images but apparently i cant do that until im level 2. :(

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
SO i got some E6000 and trying to glue it back in. The little connector is still intact and the board connection socket is also in place. its literally the tiny tiny black piece that the wires are connected to ON THE BATTERY SIDE, that came out of the black piece.

I wish i could post images but apparently i cant do that until im level 2. :(
The wires might be crimped into the connector, if so you can use a needle to push the little crimp thing back into place once you push the wires in. Dunno though.

Superthrust

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.TheGamersInsight.com
XP
Country
United States
The wires might be crimped into the connector, if so you can use a needle to push the little crimp thing back into place once you push the wires in. Dunno though.

Wow those look nice. Yeah, I suppose if that comes with buttons too, that would be nice to get that case and buttons combo, especially since I paid almost the same price on amazon...damn prices are getting crazy.

Is it possible to 3d print the outer shells? or buttons?

Also, pertaining to the wires, I don't see them crimping in...I tried to push them in with a tiny pin/paperclip/staple and nothing seemed to hold them in place. I do however see them going all the way to the end of the plastic bit, so they are currently sitting in as deep as they need to go. Since I couldnt find anything else, I found out E6000 is non-conductive and glued it in place to hold the wires in. Im letting it set and cure for now.

If it works, awesome! If it doesn...well, I have another battery on order that hopefully should be here soon (one of my twitter followers graciously helped me out.)

And worst case scenario, if i end up frying the board, ill buy another damn joycon lol...There is like NO damn places around me that sells broken joycons or anything...and anyone selling them on craigslist or facebook marketplace in my area seems to think they are made of solid 82k gold or some crap, cause they sell joycons higher than retail and switch consoles are over $400 each...like, wtf.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wow those look nice. Yeah, I suppose if that comes with buttons too, that would be nice to get that case and buttons combo, especially since I paid almost the same price on amazon...damn prices are getting crazy.

Is it possible to 3d print the outer shells? or buttons?

Also, pertaining to the wires, I don't see them crimping in...I tried to push them in with a tiny pin/paperclip/staple and nothing seemed to hold them in place. I do however see them going all the way to the end of the plastic bit, so they are currently sitting in as deep as they need to go. Since I couldnt find anything else, I found out E6000 is non-conductive and glued it in place to hold the wires in. Im letting it set and cure for now.

If it works, awesome! If it doesn...well, I have another battery on order that hopefully should be here soon (one of my twitter followers graciously helped me out.)

And worst case scenario, if i end up frying the board, ill buy another damn joycon lol...There is like NO damn places around me that sells broken joycons or anything...and anyone selling them on craigslist or facebook marketplace in my area seems to think they are made of solid 82k gold or some crap, cause they sell joycons higher than retail and switch consoles are over $400 each...like, wtf.
Have you checked eBay?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c