ROM Hack Searching for GBA development software :)

Ludichris1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fairly... new here, and I've been researching for GBA game development software/tools/etc. for making my own GBA (not SP)games that I can port to my pink (gift from my sister!)GBA.

I know there probably aren't any drag-n-drop game engines so...
The only ways I know of so far, are:
--C/C++ programming, which I really don't feel like doing, especially since the coding seems to have all these extra symbols and stuff not in plain English, or not needed imho.
--VisualHam which is based off C I think, but still looks just as confusing (or still uses C stuff)
--Pascal, which looks a bit simpler, but more outdated and inferior I think. Also, sorta weird commands...
--I heard there might be a GBA development software using a form of the BASIC programming language out there, but I have yet to find one... except DragonBASIC which I can't find ANY info/links on
frown.gif

--And finally the non-existant Drag-n-drop GBA game maker- Wish there was one
frown.gif

I also hear something about Lypson Game Engine? But it was last updated 2007, and never got completed, lol.

I have DarkBASIC, and the BASIC programming language looks easy-ish enough...

Also, I'm stumped on several things: I hear the GBA is 280x160 screen size, or something like that, but some sprites look very detailed as if its bigger. Is only the screen that big, but you can have very detailed sprites too, like ya know the there really tons of pixels of room for things? Secondly, what audio can you import, and how do you import, to use in GBA game development? Can you just use any MP3, WAVE, MIDI, etc you want, or what?

Might need more info on graphics stuff too...

Anyways, if you know of any good GBA game development software that has an easy(-ish at least) programming language (or none at all... Scripting! Scripting would be neat. Easy scripting that is... ;D).

I know I sound like I'm this noob that knows nothing and that you guys know everything, or are hardcore programmers that shun the non-believers... but that's why I'm posting. So that you people can hopefully help me out.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. GBA is getting a li'l outdated I guess you could say... but WHO CARES! I got a GBA, and so I'm going to make some homebrew games for it!
gbasp.gif

...hopefully...

Ludichris1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
epicCreations.org said:
C++ is the best you will find. Deal with it. It's just programming...
Look at this C++ code I found to a simple game of Tic Tac Toe:
CODEThis is a tictactoe game in C++.
Although it is not too smart to prevent you from winning but it is worth playing it.
I hope u enjoy it. Happy gaming!

Code :

#includeÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ//opening headerfile iostream for in-out
#includeÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ //opening headerfile conio for clrscr();
#includeÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ//opening headerfile stdlib for
random(int);
char tic[3][3];ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ //global matrix declerations
int d,e,f,a,t,i,j,x,y;ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ//global variables declerations
void display();ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ //displays the matrix
void user();ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ//function for user's move
void newdisp();ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ //function for display of matrix after
every
move
void pc();ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ//function for pc's move
int check();ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ//function for finding out the winner
int horcheck();ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ //function for horizontal line check
int vercheck();ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ //function for vertical line check
int diagcheck();ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ//function for diagonal line check
main()ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ//main function
{
clrscr();ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ //clears the previous output screen
randomize();ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ//initialize random function calling
int d=random(2);ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ//random function call
for(i=0;i

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is just some boolean logic operators slapped together. You would do the very same if you formulated that mathematically. Just pick it apart:
if
tic[0][0] equals tic[1][1]
and
tic[1][1] equals tic[2][2]
and
tic[0][0] does not equal " "

or if
tic[0][2] equals tic[1][1]
and
tic[1][1] equals tic[2][0]
and
tic[1][1] does not equal " "

then f=0
else f=0

the problem is not the language, the problem is that the check is rather complex. Of course, one could have put it into slightly more elegant code, but this is sufficient.
Also, why are there line breaks in single-line comments.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Ludichris1 said:
I know I'm probably gonna have to do SOME sort of programming, but I don't want to do back-of-the-head-slamming programming that takes away the creativity and designyness (yes that is not a word)... if you know what I mean.
I'm afraid you're out of options, there are no tools like the one you want.

It's like learning to read and write; even if the words in the dictionary look boring from a distance it doesn't stop you from producing some amazing creative things if you know how to string them together
smile.gif
Likewise, dumping a copy of Winnie the Pooh in front of someone who can't read is going to look rather daunting, even if it's supposed to be a simple book. It's easier when you know how.

If you want to make a GBA game you're going to have to put some effort in. If you don't like the idea, then creating GBA software is not for you. Consider turning your attention to a different platorm, PC is probably your best bet or the DS has a few things around, while they won't completely get you out of any programming they may help.
smile.gif

And yes, the GBA sprites really are that small. Pixel artists are very, very good at using space and colour effectively.

Ludichris1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arkansaw said:
Learn how to walk before trying to run? Are you able to code tic tac toe in any given choice of language?

Well, I haven't tried yet, but that doesn't necessarily mean I can't...

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Ludichris1 said:
Arkansaw said:
Learn how to walk before trying to run? Are you able to code tic tac toe in any given choice of language?

Well, I haven't tried yet, but that doesn't necessarily mean I can't...

i agree with Arkansaw

i know c++, c, python, basic, pascal and learning java

programming takes a lot of time to learn
graphical games can takes months to do well
lecture.gif
hate2.gif
gbasp.gif

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Arkansaw said:
Learn how to walk before trying to run?
My sister could run before she could walk. If she walked she fell over; the running gave her enough momentum to keep up.

But, that's not the point. You need to start with something simple... I tried coding Pong for the DS for my first and failed horribly. It just means I have to keep at it and try a different method if neccesary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...