Searching for audioprogram to mutes specific audio parts ?

• Thread starter pasc
  • Start date
  • Views 1,303
  • Replies 7
P

pasc

OP
I want to go from this:

middle_part_remain.png

to this:

URL]

Especially helpful would be a tool that lets me define a db range and will mute all parts in said range.

Any help is appreciated !

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So you want to mute those parts that goes beyond a certain db treshold? I don't think the "after" picture makes a lot of sense to me, since more parts are missing than just those above the red limit...
Anyway, I'm not quite sure if i've ever heard of an automatic function for that. I guess it could be done using some maths and transforms (like a fourier transform, but basing it on loudness than frequenzies)... Hmm I'm sorry I can't come up with anything right now... maybe later!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I know Audacity has a ton of nice features, but I'm not an audio expert and it's so nice that I have literally no idea what is possible with it and what isn't.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately there are, AFAIK, no audio programs that can just cut out certain dB ranges. With the Noise Removal plugin in Audacity you might be able to "silence" them, otherwise you would have to do it yourself.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do note a lot of this would be hard to do with much of modern audio (see stuff like loudness wars and brickwalling).

Are you wanting something that radical or was it just to make an obvious point as to what you sought?

You might be able to get something done with the clipping prevention filter and invert.

audacity_cliponly.jpg

To top one was the clip fix filter in audacity set to around 50% I think it was, the bottom one was 15% (I really should have noted it down) and amplified downwards afterwards after the mix.

In both cases I inverted the "clip fixed" track and then mixed it with its original.

I can not think why you might want this, if it is for some volume noise or something there has to be better ways.

P

pasc

OP
Do note a lot of this would be hard to do with much of modern audio (see stuff like loudness wars and brickwalling).

Are you wanting something that radical or was it just to make an obvious point as to what you sought?

You might be able to get something done with the clipping prevention filter and invert.

To top one was the clip fix filter in audacity set to around 50% I think it was, the bottom one was 15% (I really should have noted it down) and amplified downwards afterwards after the mix.

In both cases I inverted the "clip fixed" track and then mixed it with its original.

I can not think why you might want this, if it is for some volume noise or something there has to be better ways.

That invert technique... I already tried...

I however used Soundforges "Noise Gate", then substratcted the result from the original track (obviously reversing the track itself beforehand).

Howver I cannot/don't want to believe that such simple technique is not possible with any audio program.

I DO understand that this processing is rather radical, and therefore most programmers would have not seen a use for implementing such feature...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That invert technique... I already tried...

I however used Soundforges "Noise Gate", then substratcted the result from the original track (obviously reversing the track itself beforehand).

Howver I cannot/don't want to believe that such simple technique is not possible with any audio program.

I DO understand that this processing is rather radical, and therefore most programmers would have not seen a use for implementing such feature...

Was the clip fix thing I did up above and showed the pictures of not what you wanted? It more or less retained only the loudest parts of the song. The four sections were
Original song (in this case Yellowman Zungguzungguguzungguzeng).
Result of inverted mix with clip fix set to 50% or so.

Original song (same again, though a slightly smaller sample of it)
Result of inverted mix with clip fix set to 15% or something around there.

It is an odd thing which is why you have to chain things together, if I was good I am sure I could cook up something with the nyquist commands but audio engineering at this sort of level is not my strongest field (what I have is mainly to flank my video restoration/editing efforts).

You might also be able to deamplify your song to levels where the lowest stuff is lost to nothing and then pumping it back up, I gave it a go before I got the clip fix thing to work but I probably did not reduce the volume enough (or the program was being smart with me, which I doubt).

P

pasc

OP
nyquist ? is that something like imagemagick for sound files ? (newbly speaking)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: