Searching for a lawn mower

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have any lawnmower suggestions? The current one we have is the Honda HRX 217 and it's great. However, we've had to take it to the Honda dealership twice in the past three months for engine trouble. We can't keep shelling out $200 every month. So, I've decided to look for one.

I'm looking for one comparable to the HRX 217, but preferably without a Honda motor. My yard has a lot of hills so we can't have a riding lawn mower. Also, electric lawn mowers are out of the question for the same reason.

I'd prefer a gasoline powered lawn mower, but I'm open to diesel or alternative fuel powered lawn mowers.

I'm willing to spend about $600 on a new one.

I hope you guys can help me!

Note: 300cc Kohler motors are not powerful enough for the hills.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A fairly random question for GBAtemp.

Do they do diesel powered ones outside of big boy farm equipment around you? Edit. Did a token search and apparently there are such things as diesel ride on mowers for domestic use, though if your wallet already dislikes things I would not add a small diesel engine to the mix (and the few things I saw all had "call for pricing" as a price).
Going further "alternative fuels"? I have seen a few ethanol powered ones from people that built their own but other than electric then unless we start counting two stroke premix as alternative I am at a loss.

Anyway needs wise what are yours?

Ride on? Push along? If push along self powered or actually push yourself?

What sort of area are you looking to cover? Some of the battery powered electric stuff is not bad these days. Probably not ready for prime time professional use but to run around the average garden is quite suitable and also gets few engines in your life... albeit to be replaced with batteries. Will likely also keep the service costs down if you get a good one.
Also while it might be terribly unfashionable a couple of extension cords and a wall powered push along mower do pretty well.

Are you looking to do the fancy lower-higher banded lawn thing or just keep the lawn managed? Is this also to cut through denser stuff?

What are your mechanical abilities like? If I have to whip out a spark plug and give it a clean it is tedious but for some that might as well be blindfolded brain surgery. Alternatively most non robot lawnmowers I have ever pulled apart have been simple devices and nothing I would ever really care to take to a stealership (if by some miracle they have complicated electronic timings then all the dealer mechanics are going to do is drop a new module in). Going further you might also want to consider what the local supply is like for spare parts, though it is not so bad to wait a week if you have to order online (assuming you did not make the mistake of getting somewhere with a homeowner association and they require you to have a manicured lawn).

For classic ride on lawnmower I quite like the Husqvarna stuff and my friends doing gardening for real also go for it. That said $600 gets you nowhere in Husqvarna world.

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A fairly random question for GBAtemp.

Do they do diesel powered ones outside of big boy farm equipment around you? Edit. Did a token search and apparently there are such things as diesel ride on mowers for domestic use, though if your wallet already dislikes things I would not add a small diesel engine to the mix (and the few things I saw all had "call for pricing" as a price).
Going further "alternative fuels"? I have seen a few ethanol powered ones from people that built their own but other than electric then unless we start counting two stroke premix as alternative I am at a loss.

Anyway needs wise what are yours?

Ride on? Push along? If push along self powered or actually push yourself?

What sort of area are you looking to cover? Some of the battery powered electric stuff is not bad these days. Probably not ready for prime time professional use but to run around the average garden is quite suitable and also gets few engines in your life... albeit to be replaced with batteries. Will likely also keep the service costs down if you get a good one.
Also while it might be terribly unfashionable a couple of extension cords and a wall powered push along mower do pretty well.

Are you looking to do the fancy lower-higher banded lawn thing or just keep the lawn managed? Is this also to cut through denser stuff?

What are your mechanical abilities like? If I have to whip out a spark plug and give it a clean it is tedious but for some that might as well be blindfolded brain surgery. Alternatively most non robot lawnmowers I have ever pulled apart have been simple devices and nothing I would ever really care to take to a stealership (if by some miracle they have complicated electronic timings then all the dealer mechanics are going to do is drop a new module in). Going further you might also want to consider what the local supply is like for spare parts, though it is not so bad to wait a week if you have to order online (assuming you did not make the mistake of getting somewhere with a homeowner association and they require you to have a manicured lawn).

For classic ride on lawnmower I quite like the Husqvarna stuff and my friends doing gardening for real also go for it. That said $600 gets you nowhere in Husqvarna world.

My house has a bunch of steep hills, so ride on mowers are out of the question. I'm looking primarily for push assist, again due to the hills. It's also very dense. It tends to die off in the summer, but in the spring and fall is when it really gets bad.

I can replace nearly everything (except an engine :P) if needed, and I don't mind waiting for parts.

I prefer electric mowing. More safe, less inhaled from gas and less polluted!

I'd definitely prefer an electric mower, but I'd rather not have to deal with extension cords over 2/3rd acre.

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"However, we've had to take it to the Honda dealership twice in the past three months for engine trouble. We can't keep shelling out $200 every month"

how old is it doesn't it have a 5yr warranty? "The Honda mower HRX comes with a 5 year Honda lawn mower warranty"

FoxMcloud5655

GBATemp Developer
Trophies
Website
foxmcloud.net
XP
Country
United States
I hate extension corders so nah.. there is rechargeable battery for an electric mower.
That would seem like a fairly stupid idea... One minute you're cutting grass, the next you're lying dead on the ground 'cause you cut your extension cord! I used to be against electric powered anything for any serious work (I love myself electric powered things, don't get me wrong!), but in recent days, it's been proven that these motors can get very beefy and get the job done just as well as gas-powered ones.

All that being said, I don't have any recommendations, as I don't use push mowers anymore. Sorry.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
1. No Electric lawnmower
2. No Battery powered lawnmower

Just get any self pulling/self propelled Lawn mower with briggs and stratton engine.
I got mine for over 5 years in the 5+ years never had to send it in for repairs or deffects, only yearly the annual inspecion

Homedepot.com B&S lawn mowers
Other brands that use B&S

For Europe it's another list of brands that use B&S engines

Last edited by DjoeN,
Reactions: Zhongtiao1

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That would seem like a fairly stupid idea... One minute you're cutting grass, the next you're lying dead on the ground 'cause you cut your extension cord! I used to be against electric powered anything for any serious work (I love myself electric powered things, don't get me wrong!), but in recent days, it's been proven that these motors can get very beefy and get the job done just as well as gas-powered ones.

All that being said, I don't have any recommendations, as I don't use push mowers anymore. Sorry.
That's why the ground wire exists, to prevent accidents like that.

Reactions: DjoeN

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
i used electric lawn mowers, it's to much trouble on a big lawn
i used battery powered lawn mowers, needed 3 packs to cover the whole lawn and after 6 months i needed to wait for the first battery to recharge again and the time of each battery got lesser and lesser

So no electric/battery powered lawn mowers for me anymore
A descent B&S engine powered gasoline lawn mower is all that ever comes in again (i had honda powered to and that one died after 2 years)

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. No Electric lawnmower
2. No Battery powered lawnmower

Just get any self pulling/self propelled Lawn mower with briggs and stratton engine.
I got mine for over 5 years in the 5+ years never had to send it in for repairs or deffects, only yearly the annual inspecion

Homedepot.com B&S lawn mowers
Other brands that use B&S

For Europe it's another list of brands that use B&S engines

Honestly, I didn't know there were briggs and stratton engines. They only stock Honda and Kohler around here. I'll look into them, thanks!

Reactions: FoxMcloud5655

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Extra battery or solar mower. :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does anyone have any lawnmower suggestions? The current one we have is the Honda HRX 217 and it's great. However, we've had to take it to the Honda dealership twice in the past three months for engine trouble. We can't keep shelling out $200 every month. So, I've decided to look for one.

I'm looking for one comparable to the HRX 217, but preferably without a Honda motor. My yard has a lot of hills so we can't have a riding lawn mower. Also, electric lawn mowers are out of the question for the same reason.

I'd prefer a gasoline powered lawn mower, but I'm open to diesel or alternative fuel powered lawn mowers.

I'm willing to spend about $600 on a new one.

I hope you guys can help me!

Note: 300cc Kohler motors are not powerful enough for the hills.
Actually, have you considered a robot mower? They handle slopes pretty well.

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, have you considered a robot mower? They handle slopes pretty well.

Unfortunately, the motors are usually not powerful enough to handle the yard, and the ones that can are outside my price range

buy a cow? and if it ever breaks you get free meals for a few weeks

LMAO. I'll keep that in mind. I love me some smoked brisket.

Dinoduck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A new Honda HRX 217 costs around $1100 nowadays. I doubt you can find something decent for $600 unless it will be a used one from ebay. So, you don't want any cords, so how about a small tractor like this? Though it's price but it has Briggs and Stratton engine by the way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup