search for strategy games for low-end laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Justin20020, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Justin20020
    OP

Justin20020 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    Gambia, The
    hey guys,

i'm not at home and I have an low-end laptop. I played Age of Empires with low settings but it's still laggy here. Do you have some strategy games that run on this old laptop?

Specs:

CPU: Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1,60 GHz
    GPU: Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family
    RAM: 1 GB

All drivers are up to date. I installed yesterday an GPU-Mod for better performance - its still the same performance before I installed the mod.

Thx for the coming answers!

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I don't think you'll find many games at all that will work on an Atom CPU/IGP (maybe MS-DOS based games or some from the klik-n-play era). It's designed for energy efficiency, not performance. It can barely run Windows 7 as it is.

Maybe a couple old games to try... Risk, Cluedo and Monopoly?

3. Edgarska

Edgarska GBAtemp Fan

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    That's a really weak processor, I guess you'd have to limit yourself to 90s/early 2000s games. Have you played Command and Conquer: Red Alert?

4. Justin20020
    OP

Justin20020 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Nope I have only Age of Empires 3 here. No Disk drive so I created an copy of my original game.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Perhaps have a look in the open source world, many are like the older dos era/90's era stuff in terms of requirements but with some modern tweaks/game design philosophies and less reliance on quirks of dos and such like

http://www.wesnoth.org/
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
    http://www.emhsoft.com/singularity/
    A lot of the games that feature on the humble bundle will probably get there on that laptop. Equally many of the classics of the older systems have been brought back for modern windows -- a while back I got a nice collection of the various bauldurs gate, icewind dale and other games like that for more modern windows.
    Wikipedia I know but it does have a half nice list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_video_games

6. Jaggent360

Jaggent360 GBATemps very own Punished "Venom" Snake

Apr 4, 2015
    Böllnas
    take a look at the ps1 games that are ported to pc. A good example is Final Fantasy 7 (aka ff7) or final fantasy 8, and if lucky, a emulator of ps2 to play final fantasy X. Maybe some metal gear solid. Maybe some wii games thru dolphin. it also supports some gamecube ones. Gta 3 can be a try.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Age of Empires II - Still the best AoE :)
    Rise of Nations - Very similar to AoE2, only with more stuff
    Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - Turn based strategy game with RPG elements
    Warcraft 3
    All of these are pretty old and should run well, maybe with the exception of Rise of Nations.
    I used to play Warcraft 3 on my old Eee PC 701 which had a 900mhz Celeron in it, and it ran pretty well. That Atom should be better in performance than the Celeron I had.

And by the way - that's a netbook, not a regular laptop. ;)

That is not what he asked for at all, and there is no way PCSX2 or Dolphin would run well on that CPU.

Justin20020 likes this.
  8. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    This, basically. A single core processor and only a gigabyte of RAM? I'm almost amazed it runs windows 7 in the first place. Depending on which games you really want to try, you might consider switching to a low-end linux distribution.

As for strategy games:
    -original C&C or red alert (try openRA).
    -rollercoaster tycoon 1 & 2
    -sim city 2000
    -fallout or fallout 2 (it's strategy...somewhat)
    -starcraft 1+broodwar
    -warcraft (1 and 2 for sure...not so convinced about 3 running well)
    -about half of what gog.com has to offer

I'll also +1 age of empires 2 and rise of nations, but TBH, those'll probably lag as well (you really want to check on their system requirements first).

9. Jaggent360

Jaggent360 GBATemps very own Punished "Venom" Snake

Apr 4, 2015
    Böllnas
    but try ff7 for sure

Justin20020 likes this.