Hardware Search for possible US-motherboard New 3DS

proxibomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really do love the New 3DS XL, but after awhile, it cramps my hands and I just can't take it anymore. I'd love to get a smaller one, since I have games that use the c-stick, but the obvious problem is that the US doesn't sell a regular-sized New 3DS. I've thought up an answer for this, but I don't know if it'll work. Basically, you modify the motherboard so that it is booted up as a US system, of course using foreign parts from the US. The reason for this modification is because:
  • I'd like to use the eShop regularly, purchasing, redownloading and such
  • I'd like to do a system transfer
  • I really want the c-stick, so this is why I've opted to seeing if I could modify a New 3DS
  • Most importantly, play all the games I have without the use of Cubic Ninja, or any other exploits similar to that
  • And for those that didn't see it, I really want to stay away from Cubic Ninja exploits, or anything that just changes the region for a bit. I want to find a way to make the New 3DS as if it was bought in the US.
Hope this is the correct thread for this question, as I'm new here. :L

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth, the guide for making US New 3DS's is here. It requires (two copies of) Cubic Ninja as well as an exploitable system, but the end result will be a permanent region change that can be updated and used like normal. However, it will NOT allow you to connect to the eShop or do a system transfer (although everything else works fine!).

Swapping motherboards between an XL and non-XL New 3DS for the purpose of creating a small US system has been discussed previously. It was generally concluded that while such a swap would be possible, it would require an immense amount of soldering skill as well as highly-advanced and expensive tools. If you do in fact have said requirements, I'd love to see you give it a try. Other than that, the admittedly imperfect software method I linked to above is your best (and only) option. :(

Reactions: proxibomb

proxibomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth, the guide for making US New 3DS's is here. It requires (two copies of) Cubic Ninja as well as an exploitable system, but the end result will be a permanent region change that can be updated and used like normal. However, it will NOT allow you to connect to the eShop or do a system transfer (although everything else works fine!).

Swapping motherboards between an XL and non-XL New 3DS for the purpose of creating a small US system has been discussed previously. It was generally concluded that while such a swap would be possible, it would require an immense amount of soldering skill as well as highly-advanced and expensive tools. If you do in fact have said requirements, I'd love to see you give it a try. Other than that, the admittedly imperfect software method I linked to above is your best (and only) option. :(
Thanks a bunch for the (sad) news. I'll see if I have what it takes to design a special motherboard for this situation.

polarurs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a bunch for the (sad) news. I'll see if I have what it takes to design a special motherboard for this situation.

Mind sharing your findings? I'm interested in this exact same thing, but can't find any local professionals to quote me.

proxibomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mind sharing your findings? I'm interested in this exact same thing, but can't find any local professionals to quote me.
Sure thing. I was thinking right now of shrinking the board by properly cutting, possibly moving certain parts. I'll have to be extremely careful, of course, but I think I could come up with something.

polarurs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone happen to know if these copper dots (labeled 1-4) are important at all? Or could they be cut out?
new 3ds cuts.jpg

Clearer Pictures:
Top: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/IKlW6WTZKKmapYkt.medium
Bottom: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/OMYYisieWXRA2dBL.medium

polarurs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure most of the circuits are just there for show.

If that's the case, then I believe these cuts should be enough to squeeze the N3DSXL motherboard into the N3DS housing.

new 3ds final cut.jpg

1) The shaded in green area represents the part that would be cut out.
2) The area denoted by the [Purple Box A] would need to overlap the area denoted by the [Purple Box B].
3) The "top" portion of the motherboard would overlap the "bottom" portion.
4) The area labeled as C would need to be cut and be left "floating."

Thoughts?

proxibomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's the case, then I believe these cuts should be enough to squeeze the N3DSXL motherboard into the N3DS housing.

View attachment 19437

1) The shaded in green area represents the part that would be cut out.
2) The area denoted by the [Purple Box A] would need to overlap the area denoted by the [Purple Box B].
3) The "top" portion of the motherboard would overlap the "bottom" portion.
4) The area labeled as C would need to be cut and be left "floating."

Thoughts?
I'll still need a proper study after school ends shortly in a week, but wouldn't you need every chip? What I'm doing is simply cutting and slimming the motherboard, or even make a new one (but I highly doubt that).

Edit: My bad, thought you were taking the chips out

polarurs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for the cut areas, you'd need to some how solder back any lost connections. But those areas seem to be the easiest places to alter. I have no experience with this kind of stuff. I'm just tossing around ideas :)

proxibomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some quick notes to point out. The headphones jack will have to be re-soldered if the motherboard is moved completely off the 3DS. I would advise finding someone to compare the sizes of the headphone jacks of both New 3DS' to see if they're the same. The biggest pain would probably be the display cables (yellow thick cables attacked to the display screen). I also believe the charging connection needs to be re-soldered on too.

- Two major things to re-solder
- Possible screw-up with display cables
- A ton of re-soldering is required
- Must test size of headphones jack to see if size is the same

proxibomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, it seems that a lot of the dots, like the ones you labeled, seem to have no connection to anything whatsoever. It would be best to get a professional for this to give us an answer. I'll post elsewhere for an answer.

Reactions: polarurs

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to dampen the mood in this thread, but I have to say something before the discussion goes any further. You guys do realize that the motherboard of the N3DS (and most modern circuit boards) have multiple layers with wire traces going through them? That means that there are more connections in the board than what you just see on the circuit mounted components alone.

The area you have outlined to be removed likely has tiny traces running through it connecting the different sections of the motherboard. You cannot simply cut apart the board without severing these exceedingly small connections. The most you could do to modify the motherboard would likely be to remove components from the edges of the board and try to cut down the edges of the board, but again, there may be traces in the internal layers of the PCB at those locations.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

proxibomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to dampen the mood in this thread, but I have to say something before the discussion goes any further. You guys do realize that the motherboard of the N3DS (and most modern circuit boards) have multiple layers with wire traces going through them? That means that there are more connections in the board than what you just see on the circuit mounted components alone.

The area you have outlined to be removed likely has tiny traces running through it connecting the different sections of the motherboard. You cannot simply cut apart the board without severing these exceedingly small connections. The most you could do to modify the motherboard would likely be to remove components from the edges of the board and try to cut down the edges of the board, but again, there may be traces in the internal layers of the PCB at those locations.
Lovely. Well, thanks for the input. Looks like this whole plan will have to go down in flames at this point.

Reactions: Ichii Giki

polarurs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah thanks for the feedback. I assume there's no realistic way to reconnect everything?

Reactions: Ichii Giki

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, not really. The traces in the in-between layers are very thin. Don't feel too bad though, I had similar ideas about modding a N3DSXL motheboard to fit in a regular-sized N3DS until I came to my senses and settled on the soft-mod options for N3DS. Couldn't be happier! ^_^

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know next to nothing about the motherboard other than the NAND pinouts, but I wonder if it'd be possible to move the NAND from the XL mobo to the standard mobo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.