I can change this?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I seriously think the search function in gbatemp is probably the worst search function I've ever seen.
It doesn't let you search specific forums, doesn't allow you to search for anything under 3 letters, specify that all words must be in the results, nothing at all.
I couldn't even search for something as simple as "acekard booting to slot 2" because "to" and "2" are blocked, and even if I could, I'd find everything involving each individual word, which would be just as useless as it not working.
Is there a limitation because of the software used for the forum, that makes it impossible to implement an actual search feature, or is it something else?

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
knl said:
I seriously think the search function in gbatemp is probably the worst search function I've ever seen.
It doesn't let you search specific forums, doesn't allow you to search for anything under 3 letters, specify that all words must be in the results, nothing at all.
I couldn't even search for something as simple as "acekard booting to slot 2" because "to" and "2" are blocked, and even if I could, I'd find everything involving each individual word, which would be just as useless as it not working.
Is there a limitation because of the software used for the forum, that makes it impossible to implement an actual search feature, or is it something else?
I made a post about this a few months ago... it wasnt fixed.

knl

I can change this?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
did you get any explanation, or you didn't ask for one?
Either way, this is also an example of what an efficient search engine would prevent: reposts of the same questions, over and over, since there is no way to know if that question has been already asked before.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find searching here perfectly functional, perhaps you guys just suck at searching.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hadrian said:
I find searching here perfectly functional, perhaps you guys just suck at searching.
um i'm afraid i'm gonna have to agree with the OP. sometimes i would search for new threads, and literally type in the exact name, and it wouldn't find it. so unless i'm spelling it completely wrong, then something is fucked up

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hmm, I never had any problems with our search function, but I mainly search members (usernames), so it's working perfectly for that..
I guess there are some flaws to it, we'll see what admins have to say about it..

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried clicking the "Advance Search" directly under the search bar?

It takes you here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&act=Search&mode=adv

And from there you can click "Advanced Usage Help" and you can find more ways to search.

The only thing you mention that you can't do is search 3 letter or less words.

And if you really have to search for something with 3 letters or less, that is what the Google search bar is there for.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
An alternative is to enter this into google:

site:www.gbatemp.net "acekard booting to slot 2"

as shown

Not a permanent solution, but one nether the less.

Also, welcome back d00d.

knl

I can change this?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
jumpman17 said:
Have you tried clicking the "Advance Search" directly under the search bar?

jhzy3p.jpg

fykak2.jpg

I don't see any such button, but thanks for the link.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nope, I can't see it either. At first I thought it was the Lite skin problem, but I can't see the "Advanced Search" link in V3 skin either.
But the Classic skin has the advanced options built-in, so you may want to try using that.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol you guys dont get that "Advance Search"? Sure I saw it before, oh well I apologise for saying you suck at searching then.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sstew said:
Yeah, we don't get that Advance search" feature

On a side note, I havent had any issues with the search bar.
Neither have I. Even though I'm able to see "Advance Search" I haven't used it all. I find the Google search to fit my needs perfectly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: